Neuro panel delays

V

Victoria1946

Does anyone have any insights as to why the FAA Neuro panel is having so many delays in reviewing deferrals? Paperwork they received from me in February was finally 'processed' in July and I am told the panel 'may' have a review session in October.

They don't meet regularly anymore (budget). they wait until there are a dozen cases and then convene the next month.

In the eternal clash between "Boys, we're broke. Not a dime more" and "Expect more from government, it's coming" we are left with scarcity.

Dr. C,
Thanks for the reply. Your short answer has told me more than dozens of calls to Regional. My 'process' has been 4+ years and includes the assistance of AOPA and EAA. My AME recommended from EAA tends to get frustrated on the 'process' also. My Cessna 140 is well polished and covered in plastic sheet these days...

They don't meet regularly anymore (budget). they wait until there are a dozen cases and then convene the next month.

In the eternal clash between "Boys, we're broke. Not a dime more" and "Expect more from government, it's coming" we are left with scarcity.

So it sounds like there isn't really a backlog, just more so a case "floor" before they meet?

Im getting ready to do my med express this week. I have already had my pre exam meeting with my AME. I guess I will be on of the next batch of 12 to be processed. Now I just need 11 more to get on board. This is good information as far as trying to understand where I will be in the process.

I heard the FAA hired a neurologist recently. I am wondering if that will change the process that’s currently in place.

I hope so. That would be a wise move. I know it’s the government and they aren’t here to make any of us happy, however someone somewhere should realize the process is extremely inefficient and needs to be streamlined. In today’s world of instant access to information one would think, unless further evaluation is needed, a decision could be made very quickly using the available records. Not to mention if the perspective pilot has done his/her homework all the files should be right there in front of the decision maker already. I’m getting ready to start down that road next week. I have met with my AME. We have a plan, I have all my records printed out separated by dr and date. I plan on keeping a diary and when I’m done post the timeline of events.

I hope so. That would be a wise move. I know it’s the government and they aren’t here to make any of us happy, however someone somewhere should realize the process is extremely inefficient and needs to be streamlined. In today’s world of instant access to information one would think, unless further evaluation is needed, a decision could be made very quickly using the available records. Not to mention if the perspective pilot has done his/her homework all the files should be right there in front of the decision maker already. I’m getting ready to start down that road next week. I have met with my AME. We have a plan, I have all my records printed out separated by dr and date. I plan on keeping a diary and when I’m done post the timeline of events.

Be prepared to want to light your diary on fire.

Anyone on this forum privileged enough to know when the next Neuro meeting is going to be held? It sounds like October is the month.

Neurological Panel: Good to know, Neuro panel last met on October 25, 2021. Next Scheduled panel meeting is late February. FAA has a backlog of files waiting to be heard. I applied July 15, 2021, missed the October 25, 2021 Neuro panel, my file should be reviewed this next February 2022 (7 months after application). Phone number to check FAA medical status is: 405-954-4821, option 1.
Here is a question I have - if a 1st class medical is good for 6 months, but it takes the FAA over 7 months to review an application, if they do approve me for a 1st class medical, does the 6 month clock start from their approval or will I need to re-apply again because its been longer than 6 months?

My info was submitted February this year, I was passed over for at least one review session, my review finally came up October 25th, I was given a pre-approval letter dated November 10 from Regional to take my 3rd class medical again as it had long expired from the delays. I am to present this pre-approval letter to my AME at the time of the exam.

Neurological Panel: Good to know, Neuro panel last met on October 25, 2021. Next Scheduled panel meeting is late February. FAA has a backlog of files waiting to be heard. I applied July 15, 2021, missed the October 25, 2021 Neuro panel, my file should be reviewed this next February 2022 (7 months after application). Phone number to check FAA medical status is: 405-954-4821, option 1.
Here is a question I have - if a 1st class medical is good for 6 months, but it takes the FAA over 7 months to review an application, if they do approve me for a 1st class medical, does the 6 month clock start from their approval or will I need to re-apply again because its been longer than 6 months?

How do you know you're file is being reviewed by the panel? Is it your condition or did your AME tell you that?

How do you know you're file is being reviewed by the panel? Is it your condition or did your AME tell you that?
AME first told me in July that my case would go to the Neuro panel, then when I called, 2 weeks ago, (FAA phone number I listed on my last post) they confirmed my file is scheduled to go in front of the Neuro panel in Feb 2022.

My info was submitted February this year, I was passed over for at least one review session, my review finally came up October 25th, I was given a pre-approval letter dated November 10 from Regional to take my 3rd class medical again as it had long expired from the delays. I am to present this pre-approval letter to my AME at the time of the exam.
Thank you for clarifying how that works.

Feb. 15, 2022 - Applied for a medical July 2021, still waiting for the neurological panel to review my case. Neurological panel did not look at my file in Oct 2021, and all I heard was they are scheduled to meet again in late Feb 2022. I called aeromedical center but all they can tell me is my file is still waiting for review and they don't have info on when the next neuro panel meets.
Does anyone have an update on the dates the next neuro panel meets?

Feb. 15, 2022 - Applied for a medical July 2021, still waiting for the neurological panel to review my case. Neurological panel did not look at my file in Oct 2021, and all I heard was they are scheduled to meet again in late Feb 2022. I called aeromedical center but all they can tell me is my file is still waiting for review and they don't have info on when the next neuro panel meets.
Does anyone have an update on the dates the next neuro panel meets?

how do you know your application needs to neuro panel to review?

I don’t know about the neuro panel but I have tried for days to check the status of my application and the recording says high call volume try again later. I can’t believe there not an online way to see the status.

I don’t know about the neuro panel but I have tried for days to check the status of my application and the recording says high call volume try again later. I can’t believe there not an online way to see the status.
Did you try contacting your RFS office?

I spoke with them today. They said everything had been scanned in and was assigned to a reviewer. He said to call back in a month. He told me if it was still with the reviewer in a month he would put a note in the file saying I had called. I guess that’s the interested airman note everyone talks about.

I spoke with them today. They said everything had been scanned in and was assigned to a reviewer. He said to call back in a month. He told me if it was still with the reviewer in a month he would put a note in the file saying I had called. I guess that’s the interested airman note everyone talks about.

I've been calling DC' since my stuff got sent over at least once a month and they basically tell me the same thing they told you. So take what they say with a grain of salt because these people don't really have much information to share with you.

This right here would be a good place for the FAA to implement a numbering system so that at least the "analysts" can tell you where you are in the line.

I agree. A simple number assigned to each application would provide us with useful information and at least keep things in order. But if they were to assign a number that would shed light on those parts of the process where weakness resides. It would make the choke points very noticeable. The slow reviewers wouldn’t be able to hide under the guise of “I’m covered up”

Just wondering what the update was on all of your cases. How long did it end up for some of you waiting on the medical panel? My case was sent in June 20, 2022. Still waiting. Supposedly went to neuro panel and has been assigned to specific doctor? Not really sure….I hope I don’t have to wait till 2023! This is crazy.

Neurocog exam faxed on September 21st. MRI and final neurologist exam completed last week. Report to be mailed in sometime this week. When everything is scanned I’m
assuming it will be about 8 weeks to issuance. That’s my guess using a similar case as a measuring stick.

Neurocog exam faxed on September 21st. MRI and final neurologist exam completed last week. Report to be mailed in sometime this week. When everything is scanned I’m
assuming it will be about 8 weeks to issuance. That’s my guess using a similar case as a measuring stick.
Any update on this? I'm in a similar situation. Did the full Neurocog panel and tried to get everything they could possibly want after working with an experienced Senior AME. Submitted everything a while back, just trying to gauge how long of a wait I may expect to hear a decision.

Last edited:
I have tried for three days to speak with someone in OKC. Tried the regional
Flight surgeon and they haven’t called back either. Their mail box is full so someone may be out of the office. My cog screen was scanned in 8 days after it was faxed by the Dr. Tracking shows nuero exam was signed for October 6th. It’s not scanned in yet. 8 weeks seems to be how long it’s taking after everything is scanned in. Look at that date and see where 8 weeks puts you. Of course this is all a slightly educated guess.

Last edited:
Typical FAA Bureaucratic BS. They require everything to be current within 90 days including Medical documents but guarantee they will not have a response within 90 days. Would be happy with 6 months but I doubt that will be the case based on other SI threads I am seeing.The short staffing and budget excuse is a worn out record. They have made good progress with CACI Issued conditions but they need to expand it further for even the "complicated" cases. OKC clearly cannot handle the volume of cases. We need more pressure from large vested organizations like AOPA,EAA. ALPA etc to convince Congress to cut as much of the red tape of pilot medical certification they can. OKC has too much on their plate.

Last edited:
AOPA has an annual budget of $50M and they have not been able to fix these issues for decades. :(

I wonder if 3rd class went away and you just had 1,2, and basic med if that would clear the path for a more efficient process.

Last edited:
I am in a similar boat. My neuro exam took place in May 2022. Submitted to FAA in July and scanned in late July.

no update here either. Patiently waiting. Can anyone confirm if the neuro panel met in October?

Check out the thread “just issued here’s my timeline”. Here on the medical topics

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back