Networking Problem

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Is there a comprehensive list on the Net somewhere that would tell me what to check when trying to get different operating systems to network with each other?

I have a Windows 7 netbook that is connected to my LAN via Wi-Fi, in WPA2-PSK mode. (I'm using a Wi-Fi access point that is plugged into one of the ethernet ports on my wired router.) Internet access is working fine, but sometimes I get a problem where the computers on the wired portion of the LAN can't access the netbook and the netbook can't access the wired computers. The wired computers are running Windows XP. (I'll be happy to provide more details if needed.)

Yesterday it wasn't working. This morning it is working fine.

When it wasn't working, under "Network" in Windows Explorer, the wired machines didn't show up on the netbook at all. When I checked on one of the wired machines, the netbook's "Users" folder showed up, but when I tried to access it, it denied access without even asking for a password. I ended up transfering the files I needed using a USB stick.

There are about three to five things that could be going wrong here or combination.

To narrow it down a bit, does the file sharing always work when you plug the netbook into the wired LAN and bypass using wireless?

Back