Network Printer Issue

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
I am having an issue that seems to be appearing approximately every 30 days. My PC's can't connect to their respective Network Printer. When this happens, it happens to all of them at one time.
To "fix" the issue when it happens, I dump the print spooler on each PC, reboot and it finds the printer again and all is well.
How I am set up is below. I can't find anything though that is recurring to cause this on the regular basis.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Two separate Intranets running, 6 pc's per net, with one printer on each network.
Using an IOGear print server to connect the printers to the network.
All PC's and the print server go through a Netgear switch to connect to the respective main server.

None of the PC's have Internet access, strictly Intranet.
All PC's are running Windows XP SP3.
All the PC's are set not to look for automatic updates, since they are strictly Intranet, they couldn't update anyway.

Thanks

Last edited:
Maybe the server is trying to do a domain update every 30 days and temporarly kicking the machines and/or the print spooler off?

Have you checked the event logs to see what might have been going on the last few times this happened?

Last edited:
How are the computers finding the print server?

Static IP assigned. All PC's are using a static IP also.
It "acts" like it just loses the IP information, but it is there when I look at it. Just won't connect. In Printer and Faxes it shows "opening".

Maybe the server is trying to do a domain update every 30 days and temporarly kicking the machines and/or the print spooler off?

Have you checked the event logs to see what might have been going on the last few times this happened?

No, I haven't looked at the event logs. Should have!!!

I had a similar issue with a small networked print server (different make/model than printer). Rebooting the print server fixed the issue. Replacing the print server effected a permanent fix :)

I had a similar issue with a small networked print server (different make/model than printer). Rebooting the print server fixed the issue. Replacing the print server effected a permanent fix :)

Thought about that, But two different print servers on two completely different networks and having the same issue on the same day?
I figure there is SOMETHING trying to update or something, but I just can't find it.

Seems your common point is the Netgear switch. I'm not crazy about Netgear. I've had issues with other Netgear (wireless) products that caused similar issues when trying to retrieve updates.

Have you tried just rebooting the Netgear when this happens? The ARP table might be getting corrupted.

Seems your common point is the Netgear switch. I'm not crazy about Netgear. I've had issues with other Netgear (wireless) products that caused similar issues when trying to retrieve updates.

The print server that kept locking up on me (and I finally disposed) was Netgear. I'm using Asus giga switches & have a Dell network printer with internal card.

Could it be doing a monthly NNTP synchronization or firmware update check, and stupidly "locking up" by waiting -- forever -- when it can't access the hosts, rather than timing out?

-Rich

Can you ping the print server(s) successfully before you dump the print spooler? If not, then it's a networking problem. If you can, then it's a print server/driver problem.

In the past, when I've had problems like this, it's been more related to print driver issues than hardware. Which could be why restarting the spooler fixes your problem. Is there extra "software" that is installed on each pc over and above the driver? Like that pesky "monitoring" software that keeps track of ink levels, paper jams, etc.. If so, it could be trying to "update" the driver once a month (preset to a certain day of the month) and since it can't get out to the internet, it dies and hangs the spooler.

Heath

Thanks for all the ideas.
I am looking into all of them.

Appreciate the help.
BTW, I did already check into the DHCP lease issue. Wasn't that. LOL

Back