NetJets Flight Plans

rocketflyer84

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
RocketFlyer84
I've noticed an odd pattern recently where there will be like 5-7 airplanes with filed flight plans all arriving/departing the same airport to the same desitination at exactly the same times (i.e. 7 small jets all departing at 5:37 am). Closer inspection shows these aircraft are all registered to NetJets. It aeems in the end only one (if any) turn into an actual flight. A few questions:

1) What's going on here? My assumption is that they are filing a crapload of flight plans for a bunch of aircraft and then decide which one to use on that route at the last second so they just want everything filed so they can pick up a clearance and go.

2) If that's really what's happening then how are they not on the **** list with flight service / clearance / ATC. (Or maybe they are). I've been told off if there is just one extra flight in the system... I can only imagine the look on the clearance delivery controller when his printer spits out a big stack of flight plans like this only to have most of them not used over and over.

We have netjets that gather at my home base, answer I got was they are swapping crews and planes. And the fuel is cheaper than going to the airport which they are based out of (Kcmh)

If they are filing online for a bunch of different tail numbers all they are creating is extra data in the system. If you put in 2 flight plans for the same tail number at the same time it screws things up because ATC might have 2 different routings and not know which one to give you. If there are several different tail numbers and most don't get used it doesn't create any confusion or extra work, just data that gets automatically deleted or possibly some paper thrown in the trash.

Most likely they are in the process of confirming a reservation with a client and figuring out which aircraft they will use based on crew, passenger requests, and possible up-sells

Schedules at outfits such as netjets truly change by the minute. I have seen massive airplane shuffles change 10 times in five minutes, all the while a scramble to make sure flight plans, and slots if needed, get filed.

I had a reservist on my crew that flies for NetJets explain their whole scheduling/logistics. It would literally take all night for me to write it and explain it.

Seriously, it's just tail number and flight plan changes. They file up to four hours in advance and then the plan changes 8 times.

Back