Netgear Digital Entertainer Elite

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Anyone have one? Have opinions on them?
I'm having a media system nightmare and since out "experts" here can't solve it, and I've finally worked out the LED lighting issue, I've inherited this one. Basically, I have a 6 terrabyte media server with a RAID 5 8HDDs set up and a 4 core Xeon processor running Server 2003. I can stream 12 movies at a time through laptops all around the boat on a wireless network with no problems. The boat has 9 entertainment zones and TVs. It came with Sonos running the sound throughout the boat powering the speakers (doesn't support DTS sound). We have since added the media server. At first they set up with a POS computer feeding 9 Kaifa HD Network Media Players. As soon as you had more than 3 TVs playing movies, it would go all jittery. The blame was placed on the "server" so it was replaced with the unit listed above. Everything in the network is rated at 1Gbps and runs through CAT6 cabling. So, we plug it all together and voila, it still jitters with more than 2 running, if you exclude my room. (The saving grace to all this, is that the system in my room has always played fine and stable, though no one can figure out why, I think I know though...). So, after about n60 hrs of experimenting and troubleshooting, we have basically come down to...The Kaifa boxes are crap. Since neither they nor the Sonos system will work with Blu Ray, it's time to scrap the crap. I've been looking around, and Kaleidoscope is a much used system aboard yachts and works well, but is extremely expensive, and again, doesn't support Blu Ray. So I did some internet searching and found this: The Netgear Digital Entertainer Elite. It appears to do everything I want and then I can scrap the Sonos, which doesn't work with our Pronto Remotes, and replace it with amps that support the DTS sound from Blu Rays, and at $467 a piece is a lot cheaper than Kaleidescope. Now, I'm way out of my element with this crap, so I'm asking the tech savvy here if they know/see anything I'm missing. Remember, I'll have 9 of these hooked to a server (though the server/network throughput is measured at less than 40% capacity with everything going at its highest peak load seen). Any opinions, thoughts or comments?

Henning, don't buy NetGear anything.

Look into a HP Media server..maybe.

I'd put in a decent Linux NAS, ala how Jesse built the POA server. Once you get the capability to fill the network pipe then you can mix and match clients - including TiVos (100mb only. No good on a boat) and Apple TV, Popcorn, Sonos until you find what you like.

Last edited:
Streaming video can be a serious PITA. I was brought in last-minute on a project last year that involved streaming video and tv across with about 3,000 clients on Intel based hardware selecting movies or tv streams.

It required some serious tweaking to get the above to work. Issues ranged from network, to server hardware (many servers), to player software, etc etc. Everyone always pointed at the next guy. Seemed like most of the "engineers" were better at pointing their finger than actually troubleshooting. I was able to get them running by primarily just re-directing their finger pointing to point in the proper direction.

Questions:
1.) How is the video streaming to the players, basically, which protocol or streaming software?

2.) How are you streaming the video to your laptop? Is it exactly the same from a software perspective?

3.) What format are these videos in?

Streaming video can be a serious PITA. I was brought in last-minute on a project last year that involved streaming video and tv across with about 3,000 clients on Intel based hardware selecting movies or tv streams.

It required some serious tweaking to get the above to work. Issues ranged from network, to server hardware (many servers), to player software, etc etc. Everyone always pointed at the next guy. Seemed like most of the "engineers" were better at pointing their finger than actually troubleshooting. I was able to get them running by primarily just re-directing their finger pointing to point in the proper direction.

Questions:
1.) How is the video streaming to the players, basically, which protocol or streaming software?

2.) How are you streaming the video to your laptop? Is it exactly the same from a software perspective?

3.) What format are these videos in?

1.) The protocol is SAMBA with no dedicated software/

2.) Through either wireless or plugged into the LAN, no difference in software I know of except that the laptops run Windows and the Kaifa is Network Media Tank.

3.) Ripped DVDs through AnyDVD also tried as .iso files, same issues either way.

Thanks Jesse

The only thing I have to add is to avoid Netgear. My experiences with Netgear stuff has not been very good.

All I can think of here is the 7-habits adage: Start with the end in mind.

What, exactly, are you hoping to accomplish? What experience are you trying to provide and what are the user's expectations?

Perhaps that will lead you back to a solution that solves the problem, but is not on the bleeding edge.

Back