[Netflix] The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
A good set of yarns set in the American West. Worth watching.

I just finished The Last Kingdom and needed another recommendation. Thanks.

I hope they do more stuff with Buster in future... that was an interesting character and Tim Blake Nelson was perfect for the role.

Dad showed me some scenes from the first couple episodes that had be LMAO.
I haven't had a chance to watch them yet.

He seems to have fallen out of love with it after episode 2 but it is on my list.

Dad showed me some scenes from the first couple episodes that had be LMAO.
I haven't had a chance to watch them yet.

He seems to have fallen out of love with it after episode 2 but it is on my list.
This is an anthology movie of 6 short films, not an episodic series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Buster_Scruggs

This first film was the best of the six. The second one had the best quotable line, where the cowboy about to be hung turns to the guy next to him and asks, "is this your first time?"

I stayed up and watched it last night. Did you notice that each story ends with someone dying?

Well, I guess I have to be a dissenter... I was disappointed with it. I love Coen films, but this anthology didn’t work for me, especially chapter 1. The 5th story was the best IMO. Their work on True Grit was a much better effort.

Enjoying Narcos:Mexico on Netflix. And it even has airplanes, featuring a Short Skyvan!

Well, I guess I have to be a dissenter... I was disappointed with it. I love Coen films, but this anthology didn’t work for me, especially chapter 1. The 5th story was the best IMO. Their work on True Grit was a much better effort.

!

I agree, it was okay but didn't really thrill me. I liked the last one the best. The conversation in the stagecoach was brilliant. But I read at least one review that disagreed, thought it was "too much boring dialogue". To each his own I guess.

Watched it last night...loved it, although I nearly shut it off during those first couple bizarre minutes.

I watched it a second time with my daughter...one of the things I love about Coen films is how much I "pick up" the second+ time I watch (maybe I'm slow...I found the same thing with "No Country for Old Men).

My favorite story was the third with the quadruple amputee vs the counting chicken (I believe it was called "meal ticket")...I think this story relates to all the stories, in that the first two are comedic, almost simple slapstick (the counting-chicken stories) while the last three are tragic, with intense dialog stories (the quadruple-amputee-oration stories). I find it funny too that most seem to like the chicken-counting stories here on this board (just like in the movie)...

***Spoiler*** if you haven't watched don't read further...

I did also find it interesting how in the fourth story, about the prospector...when he goes to take the eggs from the owl, he says, "How high can a bird count anyway?" Which seems to relate back to the third story and the counting chicken...maybe saying that Liam Neeson got ripped off, and threw his "meal ticket" off the bridge, sort of counting-his-chicken (plan) before-it-hatched.

The fifth story, about the wagon train, I found interesting too...the girl repeatedly says how indecisive she is, and her cowboy fiancé tells her its good to be indecisive...yet she wasn't indecisive at all when she should have been. Also, if you know anything about President Pierce, I find the dog's name a warning or possible omen of bad events...(and when the dog is around, bad things happen).

The last story was good too: obviously about the grim reaper and death, with the French man, the woman, and the trapper riding to their demise (or maybe they are already dead?).

Good stuff!

The first and last were the best of the bunch, in my opinion. The one with the dog was my least favorite. They’re all kinda downers though, lol.

Back