Nervous and starting to feel overwhelmed

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
My game plan was to take the IR knowledge test on May 5. I finished King in early March, but then got mired in tax season. Now I find my self 10 days from the date. I have been using Sheppard and will be taking a weekend cram course next weekend.

Question 1: Suggestions for taking the test?

Assuming I pass, plan is to fly or sim with instructor practically everyday from May 10 until the scheduled ride May 30. I am just feeling overwhelmed and nervous.

Question 2: Is it doable and suggestions for accomplishing this mission?

Thanks

It's doable,you have to relax and take the pressure off yourself.

Drop the weekend course, save the money, and apply the time to the Sheppard Course. You'll do just as good and spend your time more wisely.

A major tip with the Sheppard Course: Take the memory aide sheet they provide, and start practicing recreating it from memory. Add some additional things if you wish.

Then when you sit for the exam, the first thing you do is take a blank sheet of paper and write out the sheet.

I did that and just having it recreated and next to me while I took the test provided some additional confidence. Turned out 5 or 6 of the questions I got were directly from the items on that sheet.

The other tip is to familiarize yourself with the reference information and legends in the front of the supplement book. Many MANY answers to the exam are in there if you remember where to look.

10 days and you have Sheppard Air? You'll be fine.

Just study the way they tell you to study. Don't worry.

10 days and you have Sheppard Air? You'll be fine.

Just study the way they tell you to study. Don't worry.
Yeah, just do your own weekend cram right before the test.

As to the training, if you have access to a sim you can do a lot there but only a small part (10 or 20 hours depending on the sim IIRC) applies to your totals. OTOH you can learn several specific skills much more easily in the sim if your CFII knows how to apply them. The best scenario is to get comfortable with a couple skills/tasks in the sim and then go do them in the airplane. You do need to become comfortable with all the PTS stuff in the airplane so don't get too carried away with training in the sim.

One thing is pretty much universally true is that the more frequent your lessons the less time you'll need to complete the training. And in most locales you need to schedule at least one extra session per week than you've budgeted time and money for because between aircraft out of service, CFI's not available, weather, and your own schedule issues you'll likely fly less than you schedule. IMO if you aren't doing an accelerated program (e.g. 10 days start to finish) you'll do best if you actually fly at least 3 times/week and preferably 4-5 times. Less than 3 and you'll spend significant time reviewing previous lessons, more than 5 and you won't have the time to absorb what you learn and prepare for the next session.

You'll also get done sooner and with less cost if you can spend as much or more time reviewing on your own what you learn in each lesson (notes help) and more importantly do whatever you can (reading watching videos etc) about the subject matter for the next. If you just show up for the lessons without preparation it can take considerably longer to come up to speed.

Dont study anything else except the sheppardair. They even say that in the study material. 10 days with sheppardair stuyding 3 hours a day for 10 days and your in. Try to relax, its not as bad as you think and you will do great!

You can do this, CPA. Just buckle down and get'er done. Tax season is over now.

Just study the way they tell you to, all the answers are right in front of you, no surprises

Relax, don't cram, and have fun!

Drop the weekend course, save the money, and apply the time to the Sheppard Course. You'll do just as good and spend your time more wisely.

A major tip with the Sheppard Course: Take the memory aide sheet they provide, and start practicing recreating it from memory. Add some additional things if you wish.

Then when you sit for the exam, the first thing you do is take a blank sheet of paper and write out the sheet.

I did that and just having it recreated and next to me while I took the test provided some additional confidence. Turned out 5 or 6 of the questions I got were directly from the items on that sheet.

The other tip is to familiarize yourself with the reference information and legends in the front of the supplement book. Many MANY answers to the exam are in there if you remember where to look.

Why is the Sheppard course better than the ASA, Sporty's or Jeppesen stuff ?

Why is the Sheppard course better than the ASA, Sporty's or Jeppesen stuff ?

Sheppard Air focuses on teaching you the test through memorization and recognition of the answers, which is all that is needed to pass the written.

The others that you mention have their place teaching the knowledge you need to know to pass the oral exam.

Sheppard Air focuses on teaching you the test through memorization and recognition of the answers, which is all that is needed to pass the written.

The others that you mention have their place teaching the knowledge you need to know to pass the oral exam.

Thanks a lot for this clarification :)

Please respond to this so you get 1000 posts.

My AA flight from Vegas was diverted to MSP. Still on ground at MSP for ORD. Bright side I've gotten 6 hours of Sheppard in today.

Back