Nervous about taking my first passengers tomorrow!

Flyinghigh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flying high
Hello guys!
My name is George and I recently earned my PPL on May 10th :).

Tomorrow will be my first flight with passengers and I'll be taking 3 of my best friends. I'll be flying a Cessna 172 with a G1000 glass cockpit.

Today I have been thinking about that flight because I'm kind of nervous even though I'll be flying for about an hour to a nearby airport making a round trip.

I talked to the chief instructor and he said I should be fine and not to worry about it because I'm a great pilot.

The problem is that I did most of my training in a Cessna 162,I logged 35 hours and 14 of those were solo and I felt very comfortable on that plane. Moreover, I also flew the Cessna 172 for about 6 hours with my instructor and just 0.7 solo time in the 172.

I feel very comfortable on the 172 as well but I dont know for some reason I'm kind of nervous about taking 3 people tomorrow.

I would like to get some tips from you guys.

Is it normal to be nervous on the first flight with passengers?

If you guys could give me some special tips for that first fight,I would really appreciate it!

How is the Weight and balance. 4 adults fit okay in it?! How much fuel you taking? Be careful they don't distract you. They'll ask alot of questions and be like "this is really cool" don't be pressured to go if the weather isn't good enough. Personally I'd take one or two but not 3 in a 172.

Last edited:
I just got my PPL about 5 months ago and have taken a few passengers up- never more than 2 though. I don't have a ton of experience and I'm sure others can help out more but a few things to think about- some people do get motion sick so having a sick bag on board is a must. If these passengers have not been in a small plane before explaining to them what they are in for helps. I told my passengers that small planes are much different than airliners and that they will hear the engine noise change with the acceleration and deceleration and to not worry when you hear that. I also said that they can talk to me whenever they want but if I hold up a finger that means I need to hear what is being said to me by ATC and for them to stop talking.

All these things helped but honestly taking passengers up is amazing and such a blast. It's much different then training or flying with an instructor because these people can't help and will make things more challenging because little things that you know, they don't. My suggestion is to focus on flying, take your time on the pre-flight, make sure they know what they are in for and be prepared for anything. Most important go have an awesome time!

Last edited:
How is the Weight and balance. 3 adults fit okay in it?!
Four adults, right? Definitely run the performance and W&B with accurate fuel and passenger weights.

Be sure to tell them about the stall horn and that it's normal to come on right before the wheels touch (if you do it right)

Are you going to an airport you've been to before? Weather looks good?

You'll be fine.

Give yourself plenty of time to make the trip. Don't rush anything. The plane will handle different with all of the weight, just make sure you are on airspeed for your approach. Your normal numbers will work.

Also make sure you shut the doors yourself.. If a passenger pops a door or window open while you are flying, remember to fly the plane, and worry about the door when you have time.

And congrats on earning your PPL!

Last edited:
I always ask to share cost of flying with my passengers, hence I know they are committed, that they really want to fly and not only trying to be nice to me. I also tell them up front that GA is not for everyone, that plane ride is noisy, space is narrow, that accident rate is higher, etc., etc.

The weight and balance is within the range and I'll be taking 1/2 tanks since we will going only about 20 miles each way.

Yes, tiger it'll be 4 passengers total.
Each individual weight are as follow:
180 pounds.
165pounds.
130 pounds.
155 pounds.

Thank you for the tips, everyone.

I can't believe I just found this website, I wish I would have founded it before while I was working on my PPL!

Just one more piece of advice, leave your "pilot pride" at the FBO when you get in the plane.
If things don't look right, do a go around and do it again.
My FIRST passenger to another airport, I was high and fast, so I did a go around. My passenger asked me why, "because your pilot screwed the approach up so bad, we are doing it again to be safe".
I earned his respect in that one sentence, of course he had grown up in AK and was used to flying with bush pilots and he thought everything looked fine. LOL

But seriously, leave your pride and ego on the ramp, since this is your first trip and aren't used to the extra weight if things don't look or feel right, go around and try it again.

Sounds like a heavy plane. It'll fly different at gross than it will with just you in the plane.

Don't let them distract you. They will if you let them. Try to do your preflight with nobody around. Keep a sterile cockpit on taxi, takeoff, and landing.

Don't hesitate to go around if it ain't working out.

Ask everyone to plan for some additional time before the planned departure time so you can conduct a good safety briefing and aircraft orientation. Ask them to indulge you since the act of doing this will help settle in to your "Pilot In Command" routine and settle your nerves. It will also allow them the chance to ask questions and you set "the rules" before "get-there-itis" causes an unintended shortcut.

A good PDF for Passenger Safety Briefings can be found here: http://monterey.militaryflyingclubs.com/Other Docs/PassengerSafetyBriefing.pdf

I've actually added an abbreviated version of this to my personal checklist. Reminds me to cover these item whenever I have someone new with me. Even if they are a pilot, I still cover this. It's more of a review, but it helps settle us both in to what's expected and how things are going to work once the engine is started.

And no fair scaring them by shouting over the intercom "OH MY GOD!!!" followed by a very quiet, "I am having so much fun with you guys".

Be sure to tell your friends before getting in the plane that you need them to be quiet during takeoff and landing (unless they spot something serious like an airplane getting close) so you don't get distracted. Also don't let your passengers talk or even subconsciously push you into doing something you wouldn't with your CFI on board or by yourself. And don't try to impress them with any training maneuvers you learned during training (e.g. stalls, steep turns etc. If you want to impress anyone do it by being the safest and smoothest pilot you can be.

I understand that the airplane will fly different because of the extra weight, it sounds challenging.

Any tips about how to manage the extra weight? Any special precautions that I would need to be aware of? Or all I need to fly the plane as usual,but knowing at all times that it will just feel different?

I'll be posting tomorrow how the fly went, if the weather permits of course. It looks cloudy and rainy over here in Florida.

I understand that the airplane will fly different because of the extra weight, it sounds challenging.
Eeee, don't worry.
Your adults look like fairly skinny individuals.
I carried similar load number of times in a C172 and frankly it was nothing challenging. You climb slower, that's one thing you will immediately notice. And I always add a few knots on final when I have "full" load, but no big deal.

And no fair scaring them by shouting over the intercom "OH MY GOD!!!" followed by a very quiet, "I am having so much fun with you guys".

If you talk to yourself while flying, avoid phrases like "Oh ****." and "Damn it!" when you are correcting minor little things like being off a heading or altitude.

Heh. Scares 'em. ;)

Any tips about how to manage the extra weight? Any special precautions that I would need to be aware of? Or all I need to fly the plane as usual,but knowing at all times that it will just feel different?

I'll be posting tomorrow how the fly went, if the weather permits of course. It looks cloudy and rainy over here in Florida.

Just be on speed for take-off and landing, you really won't notice much difference as long as you are trimmed up. Be sure to enlist their help in the vicinity of the airport to watch for traffic and ensure that they know to give you some quiet on final and in the pattern. Oh, and have fun!!!

Put the heavier guys in front. Other than that, just be careful and don't try to show off.

If you talk to yourself while flying, avoid phrases like "Oh ****." and "Damn it!" when you are correcting minor little things like being off a heading or altitude.

Heh. Scares 'em. ;)

And don't get so wrapped up in sharing how cool it is to fly and what they need to do as they get into the aircraft.....

... that you forget to untie the tail.

Did that on a first flying date... fortunately the line guys caught it before I started the engine.

2nd downside... we were in a Cherokee and I had to ask her to get out and untie it. :crazy:

Heh. Scares 'em

Lol thats funny, Ill make sure I wont do that.

Just be on speed for take-off and landing, you really won't notice much difference as long as you are trimmed up. Be sure to enlist their help in the vicinity of the airport to watch for traffic and ensure that they know to give you some quiet on final and in the pattern. Oh, and have fun!!!

Thanks, then I'll make sure I make a good use of the trim.

Put the heavier guys in front. Other than that, just be careful and don't try to show off.

Fortunately, my friend and me are the heaviest guys and we will be going up front.

With the additional weight, it'll feel different, just as different as the first time you went up without an instructor.:wink2:
'Passenger briefing is mandatory... here's one I've created over time, you'll need to modify it a bit to fit your specific aircraft.

Attachments

• passenger briefing revised 7-5-2011.pdf
    106.6 KB · Views: 53
Well, it looks that there would be 50% chance of showers for tomorrow morning, Im guessing it is all part of the tropical storm, if it stays like that then I would reschedule for Thursday.

With the additional weight, it'll feel different, just as different as the first time you went up without an instructor.
'Passenger briefing is mandatory... here's one I've created over time, you'll need to modify it a bit to fit your specific aircraft

Thank you, great passenger brief and cool flying trivia!

No one answered his question!

Yes, it is ENTIRELY normal to be nervous before flying your first passengers! If you weren't, I would be highly suspect of your abilities, judgement, and experience.

After all, you are literally holding three people's lives in your hands. That is a daunting responsibility -- but remember, you do the same thing every time you drive your car. And there are a helluva lot less things to hit "up there". :D

Be careful, and have fun. You're using your PPL for what it's designed for -- something that is exceedingly rare, nowadays.

Do NOT add extra speed as in the above advice. Cessna recommends 65-75 approach in the SP which is well above 1.3VSo (and even that's fast, but that's another discussion).

Follow the checklist like you life depends on it

Try 10deg flap setting on takeoff and let the airplane fly itself off the deck. If trimmed for neutral, you will have to push on the yoke as the speed builds. Trim that off and climb away at 80-85. Pull flaps after clearing obstacles or 300agl or after your nerves settle. RELAX. You did it!

20 miles is short. Best to tell the passengers to be quiet during the flight until you're taxiing at the other end.

Have fun!

Enter the flight into your logbook at the end and have your friends autograph it.

Once everyone is buckled in as you reach for the checklist you're supposed to say, "Hang on a minute I need to read through the instructions".

Have fun! :D

All aircraft fly a bit differently when loaded, and the CG begins moving aft. Did your
C172 checkout include a gross weight takeoff, stall series and landings? If not, you
might want to (should) reconsider your plans ... trading one buddy for a CFI and
making this your gross weight/aft-CG checkout.

Pick a nice, relatively bump-less day.

Smooth. Be very smooth & gentle on the controls. i.e. Plan waaay ahead for turns,
climbs, descents, etc. Nonetheless; you pax are gonna judge you based on the
landing.

No surprises ... tell them before you began reducing power.

You are going to need to develop an ear for discriminating that their answer of "Okay,"
does not necessarily indicated that they are indeed, "okay." i.e. It may be followed
by a Technicolor yawn. Everybody, EVERYBODY, gets at least one sick sack. Better
yet - their own personal garbage bag. It's hard(er) to miss a garbage bag. Silence or
slowness in answering, is typically, not a good thing.

I like the briefing card/PDF that was posted. I'll add; NEVER walk backwards on the
ramp.

Explain "sterile cockpit" rules. I also suggest a hand signal for "SHUT UP!" (I use a
raised fist.) If they cannot shut up, when required, unplug their mic.

Brief for an off-airport landing. Can the doors be locked open? Aft row exits first?
Are there mechanical, secondary seat stops for the front seats? Show'm how to open
the baggage door from the inside.

Brief for a seat latch failure. (It is NOT okay to grab - just have'm roll aft)

Brief for a door or window popping open in-flight.

If any of them are pilots, even if only a long ago student, the most *appropriately*
experienced one goes in the front row. If they are not current in Skyhawks, give
them three airspeeds: Normal climb. Normal approach. Minimum approach.

If they are pilots, they still require watching. Tell them what the can & CANNOT
touch. In the past 18 months, I've had two well meaning, very experienced pilots do
me the favor of switching my fuel to OFF, when they mistakenly thought they were
switching it to BOTH.

Brief for a seat latch failure. (It is NOT okay to grab - just have'm roll aft)

Checking that the latch is engaged by FIRMLY moving back-forward takes care of this. Once it's solidly latched, I don't think there should be any issues in the newer seat latches. It's part of my standard checks for me to verify my wife's seat latch and seatbelt when she's in the airplane.

I know you've been told this, and even though the W&B is within its envelope, I STILL would not make this relatively full load my first time with passengers. However, I am pretty conservative when it comes to these things. I would start with one, MAYBE two, then progress from there, but that's just me. IMHO, YMMV, and all the other disclaimers.

IMO, the SP does fine at different weights, better than the P model I trained in. But then again, MOST of my hours are in 172s and I may be unconsciously compensating and not realizing. With that said, I did several flights of increasing weight before I'd flown full gross.

OTOH, The OP in this post stated limited experience in SEL and limited time in type. With the rearward CoG at an unfamiliar load, and possible pressure from friends, I count 3 (possible 4) links in an accident chain.

OP: I have reservations about pointing out the possibility of an accident and the fact that it may increase your stress (which is also a precursor to an accident). And I'm sorry to have done that to you, but you have to be fully aware of your responsibility (and I'm sure you are, hence your nerves - a good sign IMHO).

You would be far safer to choose 1 person to share your first flight with. Then do a CFI up front with 1 person in the rear. Then perhaps all seats full.

Keep in mind that the odds for safety coming straight from training are in your favor, so at least you have that on your side.

One thing not mentioned is that all of these rules hold for high time pilots as well as low time one - they aren't because you're new, they're mentioned because people want to be sure the stupid things are covered.

It sounds like you did your homework. Just fly like you always have, you have a slightly higher Va, the airplane will settle a little faster.

You'll do fine...

There's an old adage that no one will know how good a pilot you are and will judge your skills by the gentleness of the touch down.

Lots of good stuff here. I'll add one: let them know what will happen before it happens. I once had a first time passenger who was fine as long as we were straight and level. She was in back so I could not see but after we landed at the destination my right -seat told me he could see her tense up at every maneuver. On the way back I made sure announced all maneuvers ahead of time.

YOU know what a standard pattern entry is: What the first timer sees is you flying towards the middle of the runway (can we land like that???) then you yank away (is something wrong!) then you yank the other way while falling!, things start whirring and bumping....:yikes:

"Okay guys, that's the safety briefing....

Since we've got a lot of fuel on board, and four of us I need you to do one more thing to ensure we get airborne. Just before we hit flying speed, I need you three to all jump into the air at the same time...."

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a first flight with passengers be with just one? Then another flight with two and then a third flight with three. That way you could work out weight and balance as well as performance calculations for all the different scenarios as well as get used to the differences in flight characteristics.

Besides have you considered that all three could possibly become extremely distracting for various reasons?

Lots of good stuff here. I'll add one: let them know what will happen before it happens. I once had a first time passenger who was fine as long as we were straight and level. She was in back so I could not see but after we landed at the destination my right -seat told me he could see her tense up at every maneuver. On the way back I made sure announced all maneuvers ahead of time.

YOU know what a standard pattern entry is: What the first timer sees is you flying towards the middle of the runway (can we land like that???) then you yank away (is something wrong!) then you yank the other way while falling!, things start whirring and bumping....:yikes:

More good stuff... I recall the nervous look I got once from a first time passenger once I was straight, level, and trimmed, when I relaxed, took my hands off of the yoke, and did simple course corrections with light touches on the rudder. :D Had to remind them that since we were in Texas, and not Hollywood, aircraft don't fall out of the sky if the pilot removes their hands from the yoke.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a first flight with passengers be with just one? Then another flight with two and then a third flight with three. That way you could work out weight and balance as well as performance calculations for all the different scenarios as well as get used to the differences in flight characteristics.

Besides have you considered that all three could possibly become extremely distracting for various reasons?

Seems like overkill.

Just take your time, you are within weight and balance, so don't worry. The plane is going to fly like it always does, it will just feel a bit heavier.

Once everyone is buckled in as you reach for the checklist you're supposed to say, "Hang on a minute I need to read through the instructions".

Have fun! :D

Ha, our club has three very similar warrior II's but the avionics master switch is in different locations. I loaded a new one (to me) up, cranked and couldn't find the darn thing for a minute. I spent an extra few minutes getting situated and looking at all the breakers, switches, radios and then went on my way for the weekend.

Seems like overkill.

Just take your time, you are within weight and balance, so don't worry. The plane is going to fly like it always does, it will just feel a bit heavier.

The problem is that the OP has no frame of reference to know what this means.

Back