Nephew graduated from Rescue Swimmer school

MauleSkinner

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MauleSkinner
My phone blew up this morning at work, but it was a good thing, ;)

My nephew is in the Navy, and recently was selected for Rescue Swimmer school…out of 20 or so on his ship, he was the only one to pass the qualification test to get into the school.

Once he was in school, he said he was “about in the middle” of his class, but since almost half the class dropped out in the first week or so, he was closer to the bottom, pretty discouraged. Push-ups we’re his biggest nemesis (they had to be able to do 100, with holding at plank in between). He got past that, and was able to help some of the other guys with their academics, and just graduated today.

He turns 30 on Sunday, and I think he clearly understands why the Navy has an age limit of 30 for the course.:D

I mentioned it to my boss, who is a 30-year Marine Corps vet, and he was quite impressed…I guess if you can impress a Marine like that, it’s a big deal.:eek:

Last edited:
That’s a huge accomplishment.

I took a weekend rescue diver course taught by a guy that had been through that course. He tried to kill us. I barely lived, but learned a ton from him. I would definitely fail the navy course, but I feel like I can probably keep myself out of a situation where I need to be rescued myself.

Sounds like a great guy with determination! Congrats to him and thanks for all he does ...

I've read that school is extremely difficult. Like Seal-level difficult. Congratulations!

I've read that school is extremely difficult. Like Seal-level difficult.
I have the impression that it’s a very similar level of difficulty for the common training areas, but the program is shorter because of the things that are trained in SEALS that aren’t part of Rescue Swimmers.

resepect!
I wonder how the Navy swimmers quals and training compare to the CG. Any idea?

resepect!
I have no real idea, but would assume they’re very similar, if for no other reason than to prevent inter-service rivalries from being based in factual qualification differences. ;)

Some people can go through life wondering if they've made a difference or not, or achieved something of importance or not. Don't think he's going to have that problem... Congrats!

@MauleSkinner, Congrats to your nephew! It is an adventure for sure!

resepect!

I went through Navy helicopter rescue swimmer school back in 1980. The physical fitness and basic rescue swimmer skills are very similar. The mission equipment and and the actual day to day responsibilities of Navy and CG swimmers is just a little different. The Navy swimmers, especially since they restructured the classification codes and made the Navy aviation rescue swimmers part of Special Forces, are now geared more toward military combat rescue. Back when I did it, we (non-AW SAR swimmers) were "non-combatant" unless someone got shot down and we were the nearest SAR asset around, then we suddenly had guns and chicken plates.

49186142812_75052ce485_w.jpg

A long time ago, in a place far far away...

Last edited:
interesting....so now days Navy swimmers are sorta like air force PJ's then?.... combat special forces

Combat or not, RESPECT for you too, Kenny W!

interesting....so now days Navy swimmers are sorta like air force PJ's then?.... combat special forces

Combat or not, RESPECT for you too, Kenny W!

I would not compare Navy rescue swimmers to either PJs or Seals. That's just a whole other level. Rescue swimmers are in the swoop and scoop business.

I would not compare Navy rescue swimmers to either PJs or Seals. That's just a whole other level. Rescue swimmers are in the swoop and scoop business.
Correct. Both require exceptionally strong swimming skills, but there is no combat element for Navy Rescue Swimmers.

If I understand correctly, MauleSkinner's nephew just qualified as a Surface Rescue Swimmer. Every ship in the Navy is required to have 2 Rescue Swimmers who have been to the school in order to get underway. It is actually an underway restrictive item. Lot's of folks who are great swimmers apply but don't make it through the school. It's no joke.

On the downside, his nephew is about to find out that it is going to be tougher to take leave and he may even find himself getting pulled to fill in on other ships so they can get underway if they are short a swimmer.

It's definitely a huge accomplishment worthy of praise!

If I understand correctly, MauleSkinner's nephew just qualified as a Surface Rescue Swimmer. Every ship in the Navy is required to have 2 Rescue Swimmers who have been to the school in order to get underway. It is actually an underway restrictive item. Lot's of folks who are great swimmers apply but don't make it through the school. It's no joke....

Yes. Aviation Rescue Swimmer and Surface (ship board) Rescue Swimmer are 2 different things in the Navy. Didn't mean to create confusion.

Absolutely!

Correct. Both require exceptionally strong swimming skills, but there is no combat element for Navy Rescue Swimmers.

If I understand correctly, MauleSkinner's nephew just qualified as a Surface Rescue Swimmer. Every ship in the Navy is required to have 2 Rescue Swimmers who have been to the school in order to get underway. It is actually an underway restrictive item. Lot's of folks who are great swimmers apply but don't make it through the school. It's no joke.

On the downside, his nephew is about to find out that it is going to be tougher to take leave and he may even find himself getting pulled to fill in on other ships so they can get underway if they are short a swimmer.

Yes, my nephew is a Surface Rescue Swimmer. Thanks for clarifying that.

He did mention to my mom that his ship is going to be parked in Norfolk for a while, and he will likely be temporarily assigned to other ships during that time.

Back