NeedInput Web-enabled phone users

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I put a mobile version of one of my client's sites live a couple of days ago. It looks fine on my BlackBerry 8330, my friend's Sidekick, and all the emulators I tested it on; but I'd appreciate a quick peek from those with other Web-enabled phones.

http://m.ridacritter.com/

I just need general comments about how well it renders, page load times, ease of navigation, etc. This was one of those times when I was asked to do the job on Friday, said, "No problem," on Saturday, learned how to do it on Sunday, and did it on Monday.

Thanks,

Rich

EDIT: To make it clear, I'd like people to access the link from their phones. I decided against using browser-sniffing because it seems undependable.

Last edited:
Well, it works fine with my laptop tethered to my Droid! (Oh, you meant actually using the browser on the phone! Hold on a moment...) :)

Seems pretty fast and clean. I did have one instance when I went to the cockroach page that it just hung for a moment. Re-selecting the link completed the request successfully.

It would be helpful to repeat the links on the bottom of the page, because after scrolling down through the page, it's bothersome to have to scroll all the way back up to select one of the top-level links.

One thing that's nice is that because the phone numbers are properly formatted, just holding down on it loads it in the phone so all you need to do is click Send. That's more a function of Android, but I like it. Of course that isn't true with the graphic header. I don't know if that would be different if you used the phone number as an alt-tag or not.

The font is plenty large in either portrait or landscape mode. If anything, I'd select a slightly smaller font so more information can be seen on one screen and the user can zoom in if desired.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. Those are helpful suggestions, especially the links on the bottom. I also may add the other three office numbers, so I'll probably do that at the same time.

I wonder if putting the phone number in the ALT tag would help... Ot maybe image-mapping the number in the masthead graphic to something.

It's kid of strange coding for phones. There's less consistency in how they render things, multiple viewport sizes, different connection speeds... lots of things to consider. Simple seems to work best.

Thanks again,

Rich

The font size, I believe, is the device default, by the way. I noticed it looked big on my BB, too; but on my friend's sidekick, it looked small. Maybe I'll define it in the CSS and let the users zoom, as you suggested.

-Rich

I added a "Back to Top" link for the time being.

Palm Treo 680: Works great!

One suggestion: IN Georgia (all over the south), it's "Possum," not "Opossum."

Just sayin'.

Palm Treo 680: Works great!

One suggestion: IN Georgia (all over the south), it's "Possum," not "Opossum."

Just sayin'.

Thanks, Spike. I have to have both words in there to keep the search engines happy, but I'll tip the balance toward "possom."

-Rich

Looks good on my Droid. Too bad you're not in my corner of the world. I've got an occational bird problem I'd hire you to fix.

I just checked it on my iPhone. Very clean, the links loaded fast, and touching the phone number caused my phone to ask if I wanted to dial it.

I can't see any issues, looks good from here.

Thank, Ghery and Jack. Sorry for the delay. I was away visiting family today, and probably will be visiting other family tomorrow and/or Sunday.

So far I haven't heard any really bad things about it, and the server stats show people are hitting it, mainly referred from the main site. The iPhone and Blackberry browsers tie for the lead, followed by Droid, followed by a slew of "Unknown Browsers."

But so far, it seems to be doing its job. It's a courtesy and convenience to mobile users. I liken it to putting a bicycle rack outside a store. Bicyclists are appreciative of it, and are more likely to shop there for that reason.

Thanks again,

Rich

Back