Needing some straight answers on color vision testing

Benny1718

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Benny1718
Hello everyone!

My son has wanted to be a pilot since he could walk. He is now intent on going to a major university, majoring in aviation, and obtaining his First Class license.

Problem. A visit to the Optometrist yesterday revealed some red-green insufficiency issues.

When he takes the standard Isihara (practice tests, online), he passes according to FAA thresholds.

I know there are other standard tests that are acceptable. Here are my questions:

- Before we spend $100K on a college education with commercial pilot training, his mom and dad want some assurances that this base is covered RIGHT NOW, not in 4 years and then we've flunked out. Can he go ahead and take a First Class Medical right now, without even flying a single hour?

- Can you keep retaking the test if you do happen to fail it? How many times?

- Do the airlines have more stringent tests that are above and beyond what the FAA requires, that mean further and repeating hurdles?

On the Isihara test, there are some answers that are considered "Partially correct." (the squiggly lines). Oh boy. What happens with these? Are they right or wrong according to the FAA?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - we are just trying to get this box comfortably checked before we go all out on the pilot career.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about first class but I was able to do my third class exam before I even selected a flight school to start my training. I believe airlines do first class medical exams every 6 months but the boys will correct me if I'm wrong.

First thing to try: The Ishihara test is designed for a specific light color temperature. This temperature is NOT that produced by flourescent lights, which frequently fail marginal candidates. Find a Doc or other medical professional who will administer the test outside on a sunny day! If your son passes this one, your son is good to go.

-Skip

I fail the Ishihara tests every year but continue to receive my unrestricted class II..... because once, decades ago, I passed the airport light gun test & present that letter to the Dr each year. Maybe your son can do the same, not sure how it works now.

I fail the Ishihara tests every year but continue to receive my unrestricted class II..... because once, decades ago, I passed the airport light gun test & present that letter to the Dr each year. Maybe your son can do the same, not sure how it works now.

I'm not familiar with the process either. Essentially you practice until you are sure you can pass, then take the light gun test. When successful you get a SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) which does not expire. (Evidently color deficiency does not change over your lifetime, so pass once, don't lose your SODA letter!)

-Skip

I do know
-it is best to practice the light gun test several times at the airport before the test (I wish I had)
-you will have much better success if you take the test at night.
(cf- I can see tiny colored lights such as on a modem much better if I flood my eye with that light, to the exclusion of ambient lighting)

Great feedback everyone! I think he's fine, but before you bust out $100K and 4 years it's good to know.

The other problem with the random AME is that the plates may be faded a bit. Doc Bruce has well maintained sets and he administers the test in what he calls his "thermonucler chamber" which is really the glass vestibule of his office building. Lots of natural light.

Nearly any doctor should be able to run you through the plates (they all tend to have them lying around somewhere) before you go anywhere near an AME.

The other problem with the random AME is that the plates may be faded a bit. Doc Bruce has well maintained sets and he administers the test in what he calls his "thermonucler chamber" which is really the glass vestibule of his office building. Lots of natural light.

Nearly any doctor should be able to run you through the plates (they all tend to have them lying around somewhere) before you go anywhere near an AME.

That leads me to another thought - if he passes the test at his normal eye doctor's office, is that result valid or most an AME administer it? Not a big deal just curious.

You can take a letter from the doctor that specifically states he has passed one of the tests that the FAA allows and the AME will accept that instead of administering the test... that's what I did. I think I will attempt the soda route at some point but it works for now.

Forgot to ask,

As an example, on the Isihara 24 test, you can miss up to 6 slides on plates 1-15 per the FAA.

Ok, but what happens if you miss questions 16-24? (Just as a for instance). The FAA doesn't have any interest in those slides? Are they irrelevant to aviation in some way ?

I'm color blind and have had a SODA for about 15 years. It's silly to me that the doctor still has me look at the dots. No one has a miracle recovery from a birth defect.

My brother is also color blind and about five years ago did his instrument rating and attempted to get a SODA but was told they don't give them out for color deficiency any more. YMMV and all that. I hope so and that he was just talking to an ill informed AME.

Your son may be one of those people who needs to see a specific AME every year.

Light gun test ---- contact your Regional Flight Surgeon in writing via letter or fax. Request authorization to take the OCVT. Give is a couple weeks and you should receive a letter of authorization via USPS with who to contact to schedule the test.

Back