Needing New Peeper Frames, Aviator Style

K

KennyFlys

I'm sorry I asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a good reason they are hard to find... if you are not Tom Cruise, it's a good bet you'd look better in another style.

:goofy:

Every big box optometrist I visited a couple months ago carried two or three of those giant teardrop shaped aviator style frames. They also had smaller, less '70s looking versions. The sales people said they'd look silly on me.

The biggest reason I didn't get them was I didn't want to look like Daniel Ortega.
1101860331_400.jpg

Every big box optometrist I visited a couple months ago carried two or three of those giant teardrop shaped aviator style frames. They also had smaller, less '70s looking versions. The sales people said they'd look silly on me.

The biggest reason I didn't get them was I didn't want to look like Daniel Ortega.

My optometrist has a 1980s-era picture of Bill Gates wearing some ENORMOUS wire frames. We sure had big glasses in those days.

They told me you don't have to have huge lenses to have lineless bifocals. I got smaller frames.

I have the Sheyden Dual RX Avalon with the non-removable sunglass part and lineless bifocal leneses. I didn't want to have to look for the tinted piece all of the time...so I look like a dork with the lenses flipped up instead.

If you get the Sheyden my advice is to tell them to shut up about not being for flying and get the polarized lenses. I get some glare/flares between the lenses from the sun at some obtuse angles. They will replace broken lenses for free, BTW.

Last edited:
Thanks for the serious reply. I'll look into that.
Someone had to get serious. I like the Randolphs. and the better news is they're only a few miles from here. The Scheydens look really nice but expensive. Now if they'd give them to me, I actually might use them.

images%5CCNR%5Cfafe65cf-352c-4cc0-9c30-c340d3b1cb51.jpg

p1_harrycarey2_getty.jpg

TZ200830201724458.jpg

Attachments

• cnr-cavu.jpg
    cnr-cavu.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
They told me you don't have to have huge lenses to have lineless bifocals. I got smaller frames.
The told me that the correction area of transitions (no-line) bifocals is fixed in size, and circular, so larger lenses just wasted plastic. The outermost edges are not corrective.

I remember the Bill Gates monster glasses, sort of his trade mark. You'd never recognize him without them. Kinda like Burt Rutan and his sideburns.

The told me that the correction area of transitions (no-line) bifocals is fixed in size, and circular, so larger lenses just wasted plastic. The outermost edges are not corrective.
I tried a pair with transition. They were a joke and cost nearly $600. Only about the upper half were usable for normal site on top of losing a fair amount of peripheral vision. I now have lined bi-focal which take only about a centimeter at the bottom of tear-drop shaped lenses. That design of frame and lens has worked well for me and I'd prefer to stick with it. I have a huge view area but still the second lens at the bottom should I need it.

I tried a pair with transition. They were a joke and cost nearly $600. Only about the upper half were usable for normal site on top of losing a fair amount of peripheral vision. I now have lined bi-focal which take only about a centimeter at the bottom of tear-drop shaped lenses. That design of frame and lens has worked well for me and I'd prefer to stick with it. I have a huge view area but still the second lens at the bottom should I need it.
I think you got screwed with your transitions. I got my first pair years ago and never adapted to them. I only wore them when I had to. My new pair is excellent, and cost half what you paid. Did they tell you it would take time to adapt to them, that you have to move your head instead of just your eyes? In time, you'll automatically point your eyes to the right part of the lens and whip your head around instead of darting your eyes back and forth. I didn't believe I'd adapt, but I did.

I think you got screwed with your transitions. I got my first pair years ago and never adapted to them. I only wore them when I had to. My new pair is excellent, and cost half what you paid. Did they tell you it would take time to adapt to them, that you have to move your head instead of just your eyes? In time, you'll automatically point your eyes to the right part of the lens and whip your head around instead of darting your eyes back and forth. I didn't believe I'd adapt, but I did.
Actually, it was a huge pain in getting this so-called eye doctor to deal with it. I later learned I was far from the only dissatisfied client. They would not make a refund but only a credit. This was not acceptable considering what I was stepping down to would result in excess credit of nearly $400. After numerous calls to a professional optometrist who never returned calls, I simply went by one evening and returned the glasses. I had the person there sign a courier manifest and provided contact information "from the client."

I then put through a dispute with Discover. They fought it at first but then they could show no effort to resolve the matter once they accepted return. On the other hand, I had proof of delivery for the return. I got my money back.

I found another provider, closer to home and much more interested in helping her customers. And, she's beautiful to look at during the exams!

I found another provider, closer to home and much more interested in helping her customers. And, she's beautiful to look at during the exams!

Sounds like my dentist. I love her smile, of course, even when she's wearing the mask.

I can't figure out why she always sits behind my shoulder when I'm lying in the chair, where I can't look at her... :D

Last edited:
Back