Need your input

RichardMR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RichardMr
I just finished up getting my private. I want to become a professional pilot. I have no real preference on where i start out in the work force. Currently I have full support from my parents as far as training up to commercial. Though because they are my only source for money in this process, I have been thinking about getting a student loan. If they were to pay for instrument(what i'm going to work on next) it could take up to a year to get it done. I would rather get instrument and commercial done by 2015.

My questions... Should I get a student loan and knock this process out? And also what, if any, jobs are available right out of getting commercial with an instrument rating. And what is the pay like in these jobs? Will i be able to pay off a loan and live on my own?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Try to avoid the loan if at all possible. You won't be making much money in your first jobs. In fact, if you can, try to keep your day job for as long as possible.

Try to avoid the loan if at all possible. You won't be making much money in your first jobs. In fact, if you can, try to keep your day job for as long as possible.

This. Don't go in debt. It's not worth it. When you get your first regional job making 18-20K a year you'll be glad you don't have the student loans.

That is my thinking. But I also know if you end up taking too long between flight it can end up costing more in the long run. That is really my only fear. This happened during my private, I ended up taking a 2 month break(I doubt it would be this long in between flight for instrument) I had to add another 5 ours of time to get caught back up with my maneuvers, finishing with 46 hours.

Also another question I have is for commercial you need 250 hours of time(I think). The instrument process including the 50 hours of solo xc will add on about 100 hours give or take going through a 141 school. So at 150 hours I'll still need 100 hours. In the FAR's it says that only 50 need to be in a powered aircraft. So I was thinking about filling that time up with glider time. Does anyone have experience in this? Is it cheaper to rent a glider and get a tow than it is to rent a 172?

Is it cheaper to rent a glider and get a tow than it is to rent a 172?

It typically is, especially if you can get some lift and stay up for a couple hours or more. Not sure how it would work with the rest of the ratings though. One of the CFIs (Tony??) could probably give you a quick answer on that.

rent the cheapest plane possible. if possible try not to take out a loan. go to the airport and make connections and see if people will let you fly their plane in return for washing it/ doing odd jobs with it. the aviation community is tight knit and easy to make connections.

Try and get a job with an fbo with rental aircraft. This way you will get to meet people who may be able to help you. Try not to go into debt.

It typically is, especially if you can get some lift and stay up for a couple hours or more. Not sure how it would work with the rest of the ratings though. One of the CFIs (Tony??) could probably give you a quick answer on that.

I'm not Tony, but we have met.

Glider PIC time is PIC time to the FAA. But as for it being cheaper, it spends on the season. A $40 tow fee and glider rental fee for a 20minute flight is sometimes more or at least equal cost per hour of a C-172 wet rental rate.

However, if you can go on a 5 hr flight from one tow, in season, then it is much cheaper. Commercial glider rentals can be $50/hr or cheaper in a club.

Edit: Buy a $30K C-152 and fly cross country. Cheapest way to build that time.

See if your parents could buy you into a cheap equity flying club to build hours. But whatever you do, do not go into debt if you can avoid it.

Get a loan now for an AIRCRAFT ! Lets say something in the 20 to 25k range. The payments will be no more than what they are for a decent car, probably less. The plane will not depreciate like a car, actually might not depreciate at all. Get all the ratings you can in this plane using other planes only when required for a specific rating. When you become a CFI you are now in business for yourself as you already have an airplane. The airplane is always going to have some kind of value - the cost of a loan for training - not so much.

Get a loan now for an AIRCRAFT ! Lets say something in the 20 to 25k range. The payments will be no more than what they are for a decent car, probably less. The plane will not depreciate like a car, actually might not depreciate at all. Get all the ratings you can in this plane using other planes only when required for a specific rating. When you become a CFI you are now in business for yourself as you already have an airplane. The airplane is always going to have some kind of value - the cost of a loan for training - not so much.

I agree with this one for sure! Do this

Back