Need your comments and feedback

Link appears to be broken displayed on my browser.

Personally I can live without audio...

Not Found

The requested URL /etips/images/Daily-AvWx-On-The-Web/start.html was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) DAV/2 mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 SVN/1.4.2 Server at avwxworkshops.com Port 80

Those damn linux machines always seem to care about punctuation :D

Personally I can live without audio...
I liked the analysis myself.

- Is the presentation too short, too long?
Seemed OK to me

- Is the presentation too complex or hard to understand?
I followed along OK

- Are the weather charts shown easy to see/read?
Yup

- Are the animations sufficient to highlight the areas I'm discussing?
I thought so

- Would it be better to use my mouse to point out the areas rather than adding animations?
No. I like animation and/or "ink" to highlight. I don't like mouse pointers waving around

- Did you walk away knowing what's happening weatherwise?
Sure.

Last edited:
"Ink" is possible. The animation might have to go since it just takes way too long to put together. I can't spend more than about 30 minutes to get this out the door every morning.

I use "ink" with powerpoint a lot when giving live presentations - so it doesn't slow you down much at all. A touch screen makes it easier to draw in the right place, but a mouse works reasonably well.

I assume you are narrating / recording powerpoint (or open office)?

It seemed about the right length to me.
No.
Yes, although I didn't really understand the brown arrows on slide 5 when you were discussing convective activity. Maybe it went by so fast that I didn't quite comprehend it.
Yes, although it might be good when you are talking about "cyclonic" to have an animation showing the rotation.
- Would it be better to use my mouse to point out the areas rather than adding animations?
No. I like the animations the way they are.
Yes.
- Any other comments/feedback?
I would watch this if it was made available.

This is great! I would love to have something like this available.

Everything was great from my perspective although the suggestions from others are good ideas too. Whether I'm flying or not, great overview of the daily weather.

I think this is a great idea and I'd watch it frequently.

About right

About right

Yes

Yes

I like the animations

Yes, at least on a national scale.

I'm sure it would be a great deal more work but it would be helpful to have separate briefings for various sections of the country (North East, Mid Atlantic, South East etc) so we can get better idea of what weather to expect in a localized area

Also, it would be helpful if you labeled the slides (IFR, Icing etc) so that people could jump ahead if they're looking for specific information.

Excellent overview of the weather, easy to understand and the length and flow seemed about right to me. I could see using it quite a bit if it were available.

Last edited:
This is FANTASTIC, Scott. I'd definitely watch it every day, even if I wasn't flying--it's educational!!. Reminds me of the old PBS "AM Weather" aviation weather program that used to run.

Inlined comments.
I'm interested in hearing if you think this would be valuable to you as a quick overview of the major weather systems and adverse weather that will affect the U.S. throughout the day. A link to a sample I did for yesterday morning is below.
I'm not interested in comments about the weather analysis itself. Actually, I grabbed a bunch of products all throughout the morning so some of these charts may not match each other per se or match the discussion completely. I'm interested in the following feedback -

I think it's just about the right length. You could shave off about 30 seconds by putting the advertisement in a scroll across the bottom so you get the messages out simultaneously. That would also help make sure that people don't just skip past them, thereby losing the marketing aspect.
I thought it was pretty spot on for pilots. Finding and keeping that balance is going to be a challenge on an ongoing basis.
Yes
Yes, and they are helpful, bringing the attention specifically to the area being discussed and highlighting both the meteorologic condition and the geographic location, for those of us without the good grasp of high school geography.
I realize they're added work, but the animations really do help. A mouse pointer is to easy to get lost or be confused with my actual mouse. Perhaps the "ink" idea mentioned earlier would be easier to do quickly.
Yes!
Just that I've got to go back and watch some more of your workshops! I seem to get more from them each time I watch!

There are a dozen or more products that I plan to show when they are applicable. For example, if a severe weather watch is active, I'll be showing that. If there are active convective SIGMETs, I'll provide that. You'll also see that I'll be trying to get sponsorship to pay for this product.

I really liked it!

It seem "right"

No -- it was very clear and well organized, not too complex.

Yes, but maybe slow down just a bit when the charts come up (I suppose I could have paused the presentation)

Yes. If animations are too difficult (but I assume you would build up a library over time so adding them would get easier), if you have to just highlight an area please don't be subtle in putting in a circle or arrow...

No. The mouse is a bad pointer. something to highlight the areas (a big circle, etc) and really catch the eye quickly is what is needed.

YES!

I really like it.

Maybe add links to resources that are relevent to the forecast/report and the charts that you showed? background on the products, weather features, etc?

Thanks for considering this, and thanks for all your free training of pilots on the board!

--david

It would be my first stop in the morning websurf. Being a heli pilot I'm used to only looking at local wx. This would increase my knowledge of wx systems greatly which is my greatest weakness. Thanks for taking the time for the example and hope it works out.

5 minutes is ideal. Long enough to show what's happening without unnecessarily yakking.

Dirt simple.

Works for me.

Yes. They definitely help.

The animations are very nice. Forget the mouse idea. Every time I see a mouse pointer wiggling around on a screen, I want to put a mousetrap on the operators desk..and a bigger one in his seat.

Large scale definitely.

The first 2 slides taking 30 seconds was a bit excessive. If that was a regular thing, I would jump to slide 3 every time. Consider shortening slide 1 to about 10 seconds and put the sponsor thing elsewhere. Keep the sponsorship thing weather related like it is, don't start selling mcdonalds hamburgers or used cars or the current round of happy feel good dope like on tv.

Instead of the left side of the screen saying "Slide 1" "Slide 2" "Slide 3", how about replacing the generic title with the chart title such as "Upper Level Winds 500mb/FL180" "Turbulence Airmet/Sigmet" "Freezing Levels" etc.

I don't know about podcasts. The only experience I've had with those is in .wav format which is a hassle to download or mess with. The straight predictable link like you have for this one works really nice even if you don't keep a running history of previous reports online.

I like the window auto resizing when I change the size of the window. I can shove the whole thing up in the upper corner of the screen and still see the entire page without chasing a slider around.

Very nicely done. It would definitely go next to ADDS on my bookmarks toolbar at the top of the screen.

Scott -
Outstanding job putting this together. Thanks for your effort and time!!

Everything you presented was easy to follow and made sense. The opinions expressed above mirror mine.

One additional recommendation is to add wind data "slides" for all levels as opposed to just the "jet stream".

Thanks again Scott!

Two things:

The first one you can't control - the weather for Thursday was a pretty simple one weather wise, I'd like to see one done when the weather is a bit more complex - because that's the one that's really going to help us out. With this presentation, I seemed to be nodding my head in agreement with most of the presentation. Which is good, it means I understand simple weather systems. :D

The second one is on the infrared satellite, I would have liked to have seen the highlighted areas of the clouds a little more contrasting. I don't know if a highlight of the whole area would be better, or just taking the dashed line and making it pink or bright green or yellow would work.

Definitely want to see a presentation where I don't know what's going on already, but can see this getting added to faves.

Scott:

First, first: I loved what I saw, but as I am on an Internet connection, the essence of which is a bird flying into a box on the roof and chiseling the bits into a rock, I was not able to see the whole thing yet. I may comment further after I return to broadband-land.

Secondly, the idea of a daily, general, aviation WX briefing is outstanding, and I am confident that the straightforward explanations you offer will help a lot of pilots get a much clearer understanding of the raw data now available.

---

And, by the way, thanks for all the information, interpretation and instruction on weather that you provide- you are a golden resource!

Is the presentation too complex or hard to understand?
It seems fine

Are the weather charts shown easy to see/read?
Yes

Are the animations sufficient to highlight the areas I'm discussing?
Yes

Would it be better to use my mouse to point out the areas rather than adding animations?
I thought the animations were fine

Did you walk away knowing what's happening weatherwise?
Yes

Any other comments/feedback?
I would add this to my list of wx checks prior to a flight.

First, first: I loved what I saw, but as I am on an Internet connection, the essence of which is a bird flying into a box on the roof and chiseling the bits into a rock, I was not able to see the whole thing yet. I may comment further after I return to broadband-land.

Ah, you're at the cabin, eh!?

Scott, I second all the above and I think this could be a great product. I'd even pay money for it. Maybe you could add 3-4 minutes to it and go a little more into detail.

-Felix

Ah, you're at the cabin, eh!?

A-firm.

"Mobile Broadband" is a misnomer if you are outside the range if the hot-rod towers.

0.14Mb download; 0.39Mb upload; 196ms ping

Felix,

Thanks. I would love to lengthen it, but not sure if I can go beyond 6 minutes and still get this out in the morning - of course it depends on the financials. My workshops are typically 5-15 minutes in length and describe many of the products I'll be using in these daily weather briefs. I'm hoping that folks the "want more detail" will opt to subscribe to my website for the educational component.

Your workshops are the reason why I understand what you're showing on this summary! I hope everyone takes the time to dig deeper into your courses.

I thought this project was good on two levels:
1) great, easy to understand macro-level synopsis of daily wx patterns
2) it provided the details behind the conclusions that are too often lacking in other, similar products. I could actually follow the rationale for the conclusions, instead of the usual "there is a high here so wx will be nice" you get from, say local weather.

OK, finally back in broadband-land, and it's outstanding stuff. I imagine that, if I had the plan of flying on any given day, I'd definitely watch it, and a reasonable chance I'd watch it on other days as well. Seems to me that, if I did so consistently, I'd learn a lot in the process.

Back