Need to make a canopy cover

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
So Airventure is coming up, and I need to figure out a good way to cover the cockpit so that rain doesn't get in there. I also want something that can withstand the associated winds that come with the thunderstorms there. It would suck to have it blow off.

I need to figure this out this weekend. One challenge is that the landing wires make it so you can't just wrap a tarp around it. I've thought about trying to cut a tarp to fit and then secure with bungee cords but suspect it wouldn't hold up and would just rip after I cut it.

Ideally I think the cover would go over the windshield towards the gas cap and end somewhere around the end of the turtle neck or a few inches past.

Thoughts?

P8KBGXg.jpg

You could just slit the tarp (do something to reinforce the end of the slit so it doesn't slit furhter) to fit over the landing wires. Then run straps under the plane in front of and behind the wing to hold it down.

You have the right idea - cut tarp to shape (including around the wires), but need to have the thing sewn and reinforced at all the cuts to prevent tearing or fraying; and, have brass eyelets put in for bungee attachment. I'd also want to have a protective flap of material attached at all the eyelet locations, in order to protect the aircraft's fabric from damage by the bungee hooks.

Is there a sailing/boating shop nearby? Sailmakers could do this, lickety-split.

It might be pushing it to get it before Airventure, but you can try. I don't think he stocks them, but he has the patterns in stock to do quick turnarounds.

My Navion has had a Kennon cover for the past 20 years, 14 years of which is sat outside, now I just use it when I'm travelling. The cover is still in good shape, but the seam stitching is beginning to go, but Kennon says they can overhaul it. Kennon came out and measured my plane at Airventure to make the initial cover but I don't think they go there anymore.

You have the right idea - cut tarp to shape (including around the wires), but need to have the thing sewn and reinforced at all the cuts to prevent tearing or fraying; and, have brass eyelets put in for bungee attachment. I'd also want to have a protective flap of material attached at all the eyelet locations, in order to protect the aircraft's fabric from damage by the bungee hooks.

Is there a sailing/boating shop nearby? Sailmakers could do this, lickety-split.

Check with an automotive upholstery shop to take this idea and make it happen. What you're asking for is an extension of a boat cover. So some good canvas, Scotch Guard and an upholstery who knows their way around a cutting table and sewing machine should get you something you're happy with for quick and reasonable.

Check with an automotive upholstery shop to take this idea and make it happen. What you're asking for is an extension of a boat cover. So some good canvas, Scotch Guard and an upholstery who knows their way around a cutting table and sewing machine should get you something you're happy with for quick and reasonable.

Not going to be easy for someone to do unless I bring the plane to them which isn't going to be easy for me to do. That's the big problem right now.

Not going to be easy for someone to do unless I bring the plane to them which isn't going to be easy for me to do. That's the big problem right now.

Go to fabric store and purchase a bolt of low cost muslin. Ask upholsterer to meet you at your hangar for mark and measure session.

Muslin is often used as the sacrificial pattern material to form mockup of clothing before you cut into the expensive stuff.

From the shapes created during the mark and measure session, upholsterer should be able to make the real thing.

Go to fabric store and purchase a bolt of low cost muslin. Ask upholsterer to meet you at your hangar for mark and measure session.

Muslin is often used as the sacrificial pattern material to form mockup of clothing before you cut into the expensive stuff.

From the shapes created during the mark and measure session, upholsterer should be able to make the real thing.

Unlikely I'm going to get an upholster to do over a hours worth of driving on a Saturday with two days notice and not charge me about what the airplane is worth to make it :)

Trying not to be full of excuses, but short of flying the plane to someone that can make it, which I doubt can be done before Airventure, I will need to make something myself that will have to work for now.

I must be going mental. I swear you said at some point that the Flybaby had a removable canopy.

I must be going mental. I swear you said at some point that the Flybaby had a removable canopy.

It departed the airplane unexpectedly last year. I started building a new one but really think it's more fun open cockpit. I'll probably finish the canopy project this fall.

It departed the airplane unexpectedly last year. I started building a new one but really think it's more fun open cockpit. I'll probably finish the canopy project this fall.

Sorry to hear. Just glad the voices in my head were right for a change.

I need to figure this out this weekend. One challenge is that the landing wires make it so you can't just wrap a tarp around it. I've thought about trying to cut a tarp to fit and then secure with bungee cords but suspect it wouldn't hold up and would just rip after I cut it.
Give your time constraints, I'd see this as the only feasible option. I wouldn't cut the tarp; fold it in half if necessary. Run a bungee cord under the fuselage behind the wings to hold it reasonably tight, there. Run another one forward of the landing gear legs.

Pick up some big spring clamps (Harbor Freight) and clamp the tarp at a couple places on each side of the coaming and at the landing wire terminals. It'll make a bit of a "trap" in the cockpit if it *does* rain, but should hold the water until you can ease it out.

Bring some extra garbage bags and some duct tape, and put up a drip shield for the instrument panel when needed.
tarp_cover.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Jess, I like Ron's idea combined with Rob's Use a painter's drop cloth or the sunbrella material and Scotch guard the hell out of it on one side to make it repel water. Use the drip guard idea that Ron suggested for the panel.

I would think using these materials would be more plyable than a tarp and would allow a bit more moisture out from the cockpit than would a tarp. In the heat of the day a tarp is going to be like a water condensation machine over the cockpit.

What every you do post photos of the completed project.

Give your time constraints, I'd see this as the only feasible option. I wouldn't cut the tarp; fold it in half if necessary. Run a bungee cord under the fuselage behind the wings to hold it reasonably tight, there. Run another one forward of the landing gear legs.
If you've got enough slack along the sides of the fuselage, you might consider cutting a slit to allow the cover to slide down past the landing wire terminals (for the civilians: The area of the big inverted "V").

Reinforce the cut edge and the end of the cut with duct tape or the heavy-duty clear packing tape (which I've started to prefer). You can duct-tape the V area closed every night, or pick up a roll of self-stick Velcro at the fabric shop.

Speaking of duct tape, don't forget to add labels to help you re-create the positioning every time... slap down a strip, and write the location with a Sharpie. Put one saying, "This Side Toward Enemy" on the top in the center of the cockpit opening.

Finally, your open cockpit turtledeck is...well... slightly less than concours quality. You securee the edge of the tarp to the turtledeck with some little tabs of duct tape.

At least this thing only has to be put/on taken off a dozen times or so....

Ron Wanttaja

This is what I came up with after a trip to Harbor Freight and a few hours of messing around with some beer.

- Bought largest heaviest duty tarp Harbor Freight had
- Placed on flybaby, taped into right position, cut with scissors.
- All cut edges folded back an inch and glued with 3M Super 77
- All cut edges also taped with Gorilla Tape
- Grommets punched and crimped into place, reinforced with triple layer of tarp, and double layer of Gorilla tape.

7ZYbg5b.jpg

I would prefer some way of securing the cover in the middle of the wing area but I just haven't figured out a good way to do that....

Can you add a dowel down at the bottom and tie that out to your flying wires to keep the tarp from flapping agains your paint? Probably also help with ventilation as well.

Can you add a dowel down at the bottom and tie that out to your flying wires to keep the tarp from flapping agains your paint? Probably also help with ventilation as well.

Made the change per your suggestion and even made a case for the cover. Nothing fancy but I think it should get me through airventure

OLtu9dX.jpg

Back