Need to Learn About Cranks

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
Subject engine is a 300HP Lycoming IO 540 with just under 700 hours overhauled in 1991. Shop unknown. Source of engine unknown as it is in a mid 60's Cherokee 6 which originally left the Piper nest with a 260HP engine.

From discussions it sounds like the aircraft has had a troubled life but the asking price is low.

I didn't pay much attention to issues with cranks in the big 6 cylinder engines as it didn't apply to my Lycoming O360 but I need to learn more to evaluate this aircraft. Can anyone provide the crank story. Thanks.

Len

How can it be airworthy if it (1) has engne other than that with which it was originally equipped, and (2) has no logs to demonstrate that the current engine is installed in accordance with proper A/C, STC or field approval?

Probably making of myself a fool here, slings, arrows, range and fire...

"From discussions it sounds like the aircraft has had a troubled life but the asking price is low.
"

Friend of mine bought a Tiger with a similar history ... he's moved 3 times since then but his plane is still at the same FBO trying to get all the "problems" (paperwork and otherwise) worked out discoverd during the annual .... 3 years ago.

mgkdrgn said:
"From discussions it sounds like the aircraft has had a troubled life but the asking price is low.
Lyc 540 cranks are OK below 300 hp. For the 300 hp versions the shoulders at the journals are too narrow for 300 + and they fail there. Lycoming added Vanadium to the alloy mix and that hardened and made the cranks too brittle. Then they tried to blame the machine shop, who just got awarded a boodle of $$s for defamation by Lycoming.

Lyc tried everything but was forced to recall finally. Too many failures. Drilling samples in the flanges for what was a formulation defect.....the journals apparently needed to be broader. That's why the Lyc 580 was withdrawn from the new Cessna 206. Too much HP.

Last edited:
SCCutler said:
How can it be airworthy if it (1) has engne other than that with which it was originally equipped, and (2) has no logs to demonstrate that the current engine is installed in accordance with proper A/C, STC or field approval?

You are right Spike, either it has to be listed in the TC or some kind of FAA approval afterwards such as an STC
Maybe there is one.
Len could look here:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSTC.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

Probably making of myself a fool here, slings, arrows, range and fire...

that would be the other board; not here

L10MAN said:
Lycoming SB 566 is being turned into AD 2005-19-11 effective 10-21-05.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/144D97BBB16063168625707E00594561?OpenDocument
It covers several models of the 360 and 540 Lycoming engines. Glad mine is not one of them.
Ron
Oh God this is gonna be painful....

"IO–360–A1B6 Mooney M–20–J IO–360–A3B6D Mooney M20J–201
We also estimate that it will take about 33 work hours to replace the crankshaft. We estimate the average labor rate is $65 per work hour and that required parts for each engine will cost about $16,218."

AAACCCK.

Steve said:
Unless I misread the SB, the main cost to the owner will be the down time...

The main cost to most owners will be the estimated 3 hours to pull the prop and determine the crank serial number. IIRC, that cost is NOT covered by Lycoming. I'm praying I can find the serial number within the Pen Yann documentation from Oct. '91.

I went through the AD for the 206. 103 days (November-February) down time then because Lyc couldn't provide the gasket kits quick enough.

Lyc offered to rent a plane for me or reimburse me for all of my fixed costs, including database subscriptions, insurance, charts and plates, hangar, licensing fees...everything. i chose the latter. Negotiate hard and they will cover their part.

Back