Need to Get Paid

U

Unregistered

I did some work at a flight school recently. I helped them do some stuff on one plane, it was understood this was kind of a freelance thing, not full time. I worked for a couple days but the drive was too much, and my car's transmission blew, so I had to quit.

Now, weeks after I told the owner I had to quit, he told me to email my address and my hours and he'd send me a paycheck. Well I sent him the info two weeks ago and got nothing. I emailed him last nite regarding this matter and have no response.

Do I have any legal recourse? The check would be minimal (just over $200 I think) but that's money I need and fairly earned. I did not sign off on the work I did in the maintenance logs (worked under someone), but I do have an A/P log I keep that I signed that says the whole FAA "I swear all these statements are true" thing on it....what should I do?

Yes, you have legal recourse. However, it will cost you more to hire an attorney than you will collect. Give it another day or two, then phone him and see what he says.

Yes, you have legal recourse. However, it will cost you more to hire an attorney than you will collect. Give it another day or two, then phone him and see what he says.

Won't the guy have to reimburse legal fees...that's what I've heard

try not to burn a bridge until you have too. When you feel you have exhausted friendly call and email requests (may have past this point already) then I'd start with a registered letter for immediate payment.

Keep print outs of emails for future use.

Might be some state labor agency you can complain to....

Might be some state labor agency you can complain to....
...assuming you were an employee, not an independent contractor. Most likely this will be considered a very small business dispute in which the state will choose not to become involved. And even if they do, failure to give notice prior to quitting might tarnish one's case.

Small claims court?
That would be the best place for a dispute this small,and in most cases, lawyers are banned, so it would just be the OP and the flight school's owner before the judge. But I'd give the owner that one phone call before going down to the county courthouse to get, fill out, and file the papers.

I dont just wanna let it go....I need the cash and it seems a little illegal to not pay someone for working.

he told me to email my address and my hours and he'd send me a paycheck. Well I sent him the info two weeks ago and got nothing.
This guy may or may not be trying to stiff you. I don't know. But small business owners aren't always cutting checks every day or even every week. He may have an accountant do this chore every x days. I would not start worrying about legal remedies just yet. You'll get him on the phone sooner or later and then have a better idea of when (if?) he's going to pay you.

He's probably waiting for his regular payroll cycle. For heaven's sake, be cool for a few days.....document your request by certified mail.....

I guess one obvious question - were you asked to fill out the tax ID form (W9?)? If so they probably plan to pay you as an employee. If not they may plan to pay you as an independent contractor, in which case they should have asked for your taxpayer ID number (SSAN most likely) so they can send you a 1099.

If none of the above, they just thought you were a nice guy helping out. :yikes:

Ernie

You always have the option of having YOUR accountant send the IRS a 1096 for the $$s that he possesses that should be yours. THAT will get his attention. The IRS always gets their man.

Call the guy. Don't rely on email. Be nice, explain you need the cash and don't jump to any conclusions. He might have simply forgotten. Also remember aviation, like a lot of other businesses is a small clique. Don't ruin your future overreacting for two hundid

I guess one obvious question - were you asked to fill out the tax ID form (W9?)? If so they probably plan to pay you as an employee. If not they may plan to pay you as an independent contractor, in which case they should have asked for your taxpayer ID number (SSAN most likely) so they can send you a 1099.

If none of the above, they just thought you were a nice guy helping out. :yikes:

Ernie
Actually, for only $200 there is no 1099 required to be filed. (That's not to say that taxes don't need to be paid on the income!)

Why not lien the airplanes you worked on?
That's a bit tricky without either possession of the aircraft or the flight school's prior agreement to the lien. See the FAA page on this and your state law on liens. For example, in Maryland, if you don't have either possession or written agreement from the owner of the item (read that paragraph you sign on the work order for your car next time you drop it off at the repair shop), you must first file a lawsuit before you can file a lien. In addition, if the flight school doesn't own those planes, you can't put a lien on them for debts of the flight school. Finally, if the flight school does own them but the bank or someone else has a prior lien (to secure a loan on their purchase), you get last crack at the money.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back