Need to do 6 approaches in type?

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
I'm multi IR. My currency is running out. Do I need to do the 6 approaches, hold in a twin, or can I do it in a single?

Only category matters, so any airplane, multi or single, will do.

But can you log them if you aren't rated in class? :)

Can you log anything but dual if you're not rated in class? :dunno:

61.51(e) and (f) specifically say rated in the aircraft for PIC and SIC.

61.51(g) however says

(g) Logging instrument time.

(1) A person may log instrument time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.
(2) An authorized instructor may log instrument time when conducting instrument flight instruction in actual instrument flight conditions.
(3) For the purposes of logging instrument time to meet the recent instrument experience requirements of §61.57(c) of this part, the following information must be recorded in the person's logbook—
(i) The location and type of each instrument approach accomplished; and
(ii) The name of the safety pilot, if required.
and mentions nothing about being rated in class.

(c) Instrument experience.
Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if:
(1) Use of an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship, as appropriate, for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained in actual weather conditions, or under simulated conditions using a view-limiting device that involves having performed the following—
(i) Six instrument approaches.
(ii) Holding procedures and tasks.
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.
says nothing about needing to be PIC or SIC or logging PIC or SIC or even being rated in class in order to log the approaches or even the time.

So, I would say yes, you can log your instrument approaches and time in a class you aren't rated for, but you can not log PIC or SIC time. Unless some tool wrote the chief counsel about it because they were a dumbass.

61.51(e) and (f) specifically say rated in the aircraft for PIC and SIC.

61.51(g) however says

and mentions nothing about being rated in class.

says nothing about needing to be PIC or SIC or logging PIC or SIC or even being rated in class in order to log the approaches or even the time.

So, I would say yes, you can log your instrument approaches and time in a class you aren't rated for, but you can not log PIC or SIC time. Unless some tool wrote the chief counsel about it because they were a dumbass.

What? You're not writing the Chief Counsel for an opinion? :yikes:

:D

I would do it in the plane you'll most likely fly in IMC.

Only category matters, so any airplane, multi or single, will do.

Does it even have to be an airplane?

Can you get the required currency just flying a desk chair in an FTD (a simulator without motion), if an instructor is along?

Does it even have to be an airplane?

Can you get the required currency just flying a desk chair in an FTD (a simulator without motion), if an instructor is along?

The instructor only needs to be monitoring, not instructing. It still has to be representative of the category though.

Back