Need suggestions for media gallery categories

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
One of the next things I'm working on adding here is a more advanced image/media repository - or gallery.

This would be a set of folders - or categories - where members could upload pictures, media files, documents, and the like for a more permanent presentation in a centralized location (unlike attachments in a thread).

What I'm not sure of is what specific types of categories should be available for general use.

(Eventually we'll be allowing members to have their own subcategories in their name and be able to add their own sub categories and such...but thats later).

I'm thinking some general category subjects should be:
- Aircraft - self explanatory
- Airports - ditto
- Scenery - ditto
- Media - for uploaded movie files,etc.
- Events - pics of fly ins and such - perhaps subcategorized by request for specific events.

What else would be a good category for different pictures?

I suggest creating a place for documents as well as pictures. We could build up a reference library of public-domain documents (e.g., FAA training manuals, PTS, etc.).

BruceAir said:
I suggest creating a place for documents as well as pictures. We could build up a reference library of public-domain documents (e.g., FAA training manuals, PTS, etc.).
Given that these things tend to change over time and I hate having to keep docs up-to-date, I'd be more inclined to throw those in the links database instead of a gallery. Let someone ELSE keep them up to date. ;)

Brian Austin said:
Given that these things tend to change over time and I hate having to keep docs up-to-date, I'd be more inclined to throw those in the links database instead of a gallery. Let someone ELSE keep them up to date. ;)

Some docs available online don't get updated a whole bunch. What comes to mind for me are some of the POHs for some planes I've seen on line, checklists, flight planning forms, etc. For some things permission would have to be requested, others are open source or can be contributed by members.

It's an interesting idea - of course some information may be subject to copyright limits, as you said.

I can't think of many other categories to consider using, myself... I don't see us being interested in posting much in the way of pics not related to aviation on a permanent basis...

Greebo said:
It's an interesting idea - of course some information may be subject to copyright limits, as you said.

I can't think of many other categories to consider using, myself... I don't see us being interested in posting much in the way of pics not related to aviation on a permanent basis...

It seems to me that non-aviation pics are better placed in individual posts, not necessarily archived. There are other places and sites for folks who have non-av pics they wish to preserve.

Greebo said:
What else would be a good category for different pictures?

Mugs (faces, not the kind you drink from). Of course this may conflict with the events category somewhat.

This is such a good idea! I think most of the subcategories are already mentioned. The only thing I can think to add is areas of interest. This might include good hiking trails/boat access/topless beaches etc.

Back