Need suggestions for fly-in dinner

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
So my hon is both sick AND coming back tomorrow after a delay in her business trip, and having spoken to her I suggested and she agreed that it would be best if we just stayed home tomorrow night so I can take care of her instead of going to the fancy dinner and afterdinner I had all planned for us.

But I do want to do something instead on Saturday, and I want to make it a fly-in dinner, and while there is always Harris Ranch, maybe there's some other places I should look into.

So; I need a neat fly-in dinner place within, say, 200nm of the SF bay area, with Harris Ranch already noted.

Ideas, anybody?

So my hon is both sick AND coming back tomorrow after a delay in her business trip, and having spoken to her I suggested and she agreed that it would be best if we just stayed home tomorrow night so I can take care of her instead of going to the fancy dinner and afterdinner I had all planned for us.

But I do want to do something instead on Saturday, and I want to make it a fly-in dinner, and while there is always Harris Ranch, maybe there's some other places I should look into.

So; I need a neat fly-in dinner place within, say, 200nm of the SF bay area, with Harris Ranch already noted.

Ideas, anybody?

I have done HAF for dinner and the bay tour is awesome at night. You could probably get a crew car in Monterey.

Izzy's is right next to KSQL by the Hiller Museum (ask Ground for helicopter transient parking, though, as it's a LONG walk from the terminal otherwise). There's Bebe's next to KLVK, but I don't care for it much. Neither of those is going to stand up to KHAF, but I'm not so sure about crossing the mountains under Class B at night. Altitude is a bit too low for my taste, and there is an elevated risk of mist, low overcast or ground fog at night there.

200 miles is a long radius. That would include Lake Tahoe and Mammoth. Not that I'd go to either of those at night....

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about crossing the mountains under Class B at night. Altitude is a bit too low for my taste, and there is an elevated risk of mist, low overcast or ground fog at night there.

QUOTE]

I come from Lincoln, so there are no Mountains. Can you just traverse the bay, North of the City and come in on the coast?

200 miles is a long radius. That would include Lake Tahoe and Mammoth. Not that I'd go to either of those at night....

I would have no problem going over on a clear night, but I don't think either of those serves the other purpose (fly-in dinner). Do they?

The nicest walk-to restaurants would be at Harris or Half Moon Bay.
Santa Rosa, in the terminal, isn't bad, but not overly romantic. As is the one at South Lake Tahoe in the terminal.
Hope you find something that works out well.

The nicest walk-to restaurants would be at Harris or Half Moon Bay.
Santa Rosa, in the terminal, isn't bad, but not overly romantic. As is the one at South Lake Tahoe in the terminal.
Hope you find something that works out well.

Cool, so I haven't missed anything. Harris is safer because I won't get stuck due to weather, which is always a possibility at KHAF.

Lampson (Clearlake) has a pretty good on-field restaurant and some cools sights on the field. I'd rather not fly in to there at night, but I wouldn't have a problem flying out of it.

Also, you might check out McClellan (KMCC) as there is a hotel/restaurant (Lionsgate) that is a long, but doable walk from the field. Sacramento Executive (KSAC) is also a good choice and they do have an on-field restaurant, but the downtown area is just a five minute cab ride away - lots of stuff there.

Oakland (and neighboring Berkeley) has lots of good stuff, but.... a little too close to you and nothing within walking distance.

Last edited:
Lampson (Clearlake) has a pretty good on-field restaurant and some cools sights on the field. I'd rather not fly in to there at night, but I wouldn't have a problem flying out of it.

Also, you might check out McClellan (KMCC) as there is a hotel/restaurant (Lionsgate) that is a long, but doable walk from the field. Sacramento Executive (KSAC) is also a good choice and they do have an on-field restaurant, but the downtown area is just a five minute cab ride away - lots of stuff there.

Oakland (and neighboring Berkeley) has lots of good stuff, but.... a little too close to you and nothing within walking distance.

Do you mean Sicily's at Lakeport? I think it's closed.

Oakland is home. I want to fly :)

I'll give KSAC a look.

Do you mean Sicily's at Lakeport? I think it's closed.

Oakland is home. I want to fly :)

I'll give KSAC a look.

Pick your night carefully at Sac:

"Aviators Restaurant serving breakfast and lunch seven days a week and dinner Friday and Saturday nights."

Actually not sure they still do dinners at all - didn't when I was based there...

Here's some recent reports on the new place at Watsonville but they may also have the weather issues you want to avoid:

Comments from AirNav users
Comments are submitted by their authors and do not reflect the opinion of AirNav, LLC. All comments must adhere to AirNav's Policy on Comments.
AirNav's standard comment retention period is 3 years.
From Sriram Narayan on 29-Dec-2012

Good to see Watsonville has an on-field restaurant again. The food was pretty good and service was excellent. Good choice of dishes. Plan to be back.

From Inger Fahmi on 16-Dec-2012

It's great to see a new restaurant in the old Zuniga's space. We stopped by on a rainy Sunday and were happy to find Props quite busy. The burgers and fries were good, but they also have more intriguing-sounding dishes, like the tapas small plates available for dinner. Currently they're open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week, with breakfast on selected days. Service was fast and friendly. We'll be back!

Last edited:
Watsonville weather isn't anywhere near as bad as Half Moon Bay, but the food isn't nearly as good either.

I have done HAF for dinner and the bay tour is awesome at night. You could probably get a crew car in Monterey.

be careful with this one, Beautiful yes but usually clouded in at night. I live right on the other side of the mountain from here.

auburn has a good diner on the field, not sure about dinner though...fun small mountain fly in place.

Willows has a field with a nice long runway and good burgers if you wanna be inexpensive.

Half moon probably has the best food cause you can park on the south side and get some decent sea food.

auburn has a good diner on the field, not sure about dinner though...fun small mountain fly in place.

Willows has a field with a nice long runway and good burgers if you wanna be inexpensive.

Half moon probably has the best food cause you can park on the south side and get some decent sea food.

The Auburn diner closes at 2:00. There is a golf course with a decent restaurant about a half mile walk from the field, though.

Santa Rosa is a nice restrant. Good food. Sushi chef. Clean, not a greasy spoon. Easy walk.

Peter Chu's sky room Krdd in the Airline terminal. A Pretty good walk from Shasta air. GA area. Good food.

San Luis Obispo one of the nicest restaurants. scenic flight. Within your 200 mile radius that be my number one pick.

San Luis Obispo one of the nicest restaurants. scenic flight. Within your 200 mile radius that be my number one pick.

I've thought about heading down there myself. But they don't seem to have tiedowns on the correct side of the airport, meaning you get to walk all the way around it from transient parking. It's towered, so no crossing movement areas on foot....

Well, that's a new one I had not heard about... gonna have to try it! although it looks like not so much a dinner place (closes at 8PM). But I'll definitely put it on my map.

I've thought about heading down there myself. But they don't seem to have tiedowns on the correct side of the airport, meaning you get to walk all the way around it from transient parking. It's towered, so no crossing movement areas on foot....

If you are talking about the Spirit of San Luis you can park at the parking by the tower and walk right in the restaurant in about 80 feet.

Back