Need Some Training Advice

iFLY172

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
iFLY172
I have been away from training for about a year now -- had about 20 or so hours over the course of a several months when I had to divert flying funds to an emergency home repair -- have not been flying since. I would really like to continue my training, but I am questioning whether aviation is for me. All my training has been in a C172. I live in an area where general aviation is almost non-existent, and "local" training consists of one instructor with 2 172s. I am not a super-smart human, I believe that I am of average intelligence, but some of the concepts seemed to be difficult to grasp for me. I have been out of college for over 15 years, but it seemed like new concepts came faster then. I have a very knowledgeable instructor with over 10,000 hours, but I'm not sure we "clicked". A small flight club at an airport about 1 hr. 15 min. away has recently purchased a new Flight Design CT LSA and is offering Sport Pilot Training. Perhaps Sport Pilot is the way for me to go as I am only looking to fly locally for enjoyment. At this point I do not plan to go for any long cross country trips... my schedule will only allow a few hours away as I am self employed and rarely get away for more than a day or two at a time. The CT seems more approachable to me as it is a simpler cockpit with all glass. I guess I may be in that age group in which seeing everything on a video screen makes more sense than a huge wall of gauges like on the 172 (this is just my opinion... the 172 I trained in is equipped for instrument flying and is rather intimidating to me). I want flying to be fun... to me that is enjoying the view low and slow, a few hours at a time. I am willing to work hard to earn the privilege to fly, but I just don't want to waste the time and money if it's truly not meant to be.

Please let me have it... your honest opinions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Do you look forward to training in the CT?

If so, then go for it!

You don't have to have a steely gaze and don't need to be Sky King -- anyone that can simultaneously drive and carry on a conversation can learn to fly.

:yesnod:

People who really only want to fly locally as a recreational activity are exactly who the Light Sport Pilot concept was designed for. I say go for it. Pilot training of any sort is rather inefficient if you don't fly at least twice per week and preferably more often than that. If at all possible (and no more major home repairs take priority) you will learn much more quickly if you can save up the funds necessary to achieve your goal on that kind of schedule. Making Light Sport Pilot your current goal will lower the cost of becoming a pilot by a substantial amount. And you can always convert to a PPL or higher certificate when mission, time, and finances dictate it.

Yep, Light Sport sounds like it might be the way to go for you. Give it a shot with a lesson or two, and if you like it - go for it!

I started ground school 15 years after college too - it can be done, just takes a bit more concentration and dedication than required when our brains were younger!

75 minutes each way is a long drive, and it will serve as a discouragement to both training and post-license flying. If you're motivated enough to spend that extra time each time you fly, great, but if it causes you to fly so rarely that proficiency suffers between flights, it would not be a good idea.

It was a hour drive each way when we got our PVT training. I used the time to listen to ASA tapes (in dash CD players were too expensive an option back then). Same deal with IFR training, different airport, longer drive. More time to study for the written. You can make it happen if you want it. Getting to the airport is just part of the deal.

75 minutes each way is a long drive, and it will serve as a discouragement to both training and post-license flying. If you're motivated enough to spend that extra time each time you fly, great, but if it causes you to fly so rarely that proficiency suffers between flights, it would not be a good idea.

FWIW ,
Being able to relate to your CFI is important . Glass panels are much more intuitive than steam gauges . The newer 172s also have glass panels . Dont worry about intelligence . You go at your own pace . I started flying before I could drive and I rode my bike or took the bus 1 1/2 hours each way . Of course kids have more free time but keep in mind you can always buy a plane at the completion of your training and base it closer to home . Good Luck .

Thank you all for taking the time to respond... I really appreciate the advice. I should also say that the local flight instructor with the 2 172s does not rent his aircraft and there are no other rental aircraft at my local airport. That is another reason I was thinking of going with the club/school that is a little over an hour away. In addition to the one CT, they also have 3 172s, 2 150s, a complex Mooney, a twin Dutchess and a Citabria, so there are plenty of planes available if I wanted to continue my training past Sport Pilot. All planes are available for rental after you earn your certificate (depending upon your certificate and ratings of course). They also have multiple instructors as well.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond... I really appreciate the advice. I should also say that the local flight instructor with the 2 172s does not rent his aircraft and there are no other rental aircraft at my local airport. That is another reason I was thinking of going with the club/school that is a little over an hour away. In addition to the one CT, they also have 3 172s, 2 150s, a complex Mooney, a twin Dutchess and a Citabria, so there are plenty of planes available if I wanted to continue my training past Sport Pilot. All planes are available for rental after you earn your certificate (depending upon your certificate and ratings of course). They also have multiple instructors as well.

One little thing. Ain't nothing wrong with light sport, but (as I understand it) if you get instruction from a Light Sport only instructor and later want to get a P.P. your time with the L.S. instructor doesn't count. (I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong). On the other hand, you can get the Light and Sporty rating from a "regular" CFI and the time will count towards a PP later on.

FWIW, sounds like the club might be a better idea. If you get a PP you would have more rental options (you could do the training in the LSA with a CFI and get the PP...)

From your description, it sounds like the club and the light sport is the better option. As you and others have said, you can always go for the private at a later time if that suits your fancy. But, if you just want to fly on nice days, the LSA is a very good way to go. Please note that there is no limit on the distance you can fly with a Sport Pilot license - you can do long cross-countries if you want to. Geoff is correct, if you get your Sport Pilot training from a CFI-SP, those hours will not count as dual instruction toward your Private Pilot license. But, if you get your training from a CFI-A, everything transfers. Also, you don't need to fly the 172 with the big wall of gauges to get your PPL. You can keep flying the CT and get your PPL in that in the future if you'd like.

Just let us know what you decide, we'd love to keep up with you and see how your training progresses! What part of the country are you in, by the way?

Hi iFly172, I just wrote a long reply and my computer crashed! Hate it when that happens.

I'm 64, got my Sport Pilot license last Nov in a Flight Design CTLS. I also had a couple hours dual in a CTSW, which I enjoyed more for its "sportiness" as the LS was a bit stiff in the control handling for my tastes (they have a spring setup on the stick for the LS, which can make it stiff to move. Once they adjusted it to my tastes, and the throttle lever too, which was too sticky, it was fine.)

Generally, I couldn't agree more with the comments above: Light Sport flying is a great way to go. I've flown 15 or so models so far (I'm the light sport editor for Plane & Pilot magazine) so I get to try out a lot of birds and have a lot of fun.

Also, my training was interrupted frequently by traveling and weather in the northeast, and I still managed to get my Sport Pilot in 36 hours, though I'm not great stick and had minimal time at the controls the last 30 years.

I fact, I hadn't flown anything as PIC since the 70s, when I'd trained, then dropped it for the cost and complexity of dealing with Los Angeles's airspace. And I wasn't having any fun.

I stayed with hang gliding, which I'd started in 1973, then got into ultralight aircraft, but once Ultralight Aircraft magazine, which I edited, closed down after the industry was savaged by ABC news, I got into aviation photography as well as writing and editing and pretty much stopped flying on my own, except to hang out of photoship windows and doors photographing other airplanes, which is largely what I've done since.

So I didn't have any stick time to speak of except for a bit of hang gliding now and then, or taking the controls en route to a shoot, when I started my Sport Pilot training in March 2008.

I love light sport. It's a great development not only because it's less costly to operate (even though purchase prices and rentals are high in many cases because the airplanes are expensive -thanks, Economy, thanks dollar/Euro imbalance), but the hourly costs are reasonable as you're generally burning 3.5-5 gph, and you still have great performance (120 kts max straight and level) and can fly as high as 10,000'. No night flying, no IFR (unless you go on to get PP and other ratings), but for a lot of us, it's a great way to fly for fun and you can certainly go places. The CTLS for example can range out 1000 nm on one tankup!

Also, I'd guess you'd like the SW. It's shorter-coupled than the CTLS, and more sportscar-like, plus you'll need to learn some rudder skills as it likes rudder input for turns and in climbs and descents, but like any airplane, once you get familiar with it, I bet you'll find it a lot of fun to fly. Give yourself a couple hours before you decide though.

Plus like most LSA, its roomy, comfortable, has a glass panel (spend some time getting to know the menus between flights, it'll make for less head-in-cockpit time), and the visibility is terrific.

Also, it took me more than 9 months to get my ticket because of all the scheduling delays. I went often several weeks between flights, but thanks to my amiable instructor (who's since become a good friend) who was infinitely patient, and who consistently reminded me that you just do whatever it takes and don't expect every flying day to be the same, I did fine. Some days you're sharp, some days you're not. Fly accordingly.

My biggest challenge when I get rusty isn't flying the airplane: I'm completely confident in the left seat. It's the radio calls and protocols for transiting various airspaces that I get anxious about! Listening for other people on radio and knowing when they're calling me, and basically keeping all that "mental" stuff sharp: That's the challenge. So I'm practicing online with various courses from Air Safety Foundation, FAA FAST and the like to keep my thinking cap free of cobwebs, and that helps a lot.

Plus I do try to get up at least once every two weeks, which isn't enough to keep me happy but with winter weather it's often a stretch even then.

Main thing is, if I'm not feeling comfortable to fly on any given day, I'll have a pilot or hire a CFI to go up with me just to get the internal "good to go" zone humming along again.

Definitely give the SW a try: I think you'll love it for training. Just don't expect a lot of yourself the first couple flights: it takes a bit of getting used to after a heavy, minimal-rudder-skill Cessna. The sight picture out the SW nose, for instance, with it's tiny, snub-nose cowl, makes you think you're going straight when you're actually steering towards the sidelines. It'll take an hour or two to learn the proper line up visual cues. But all airplanes have their quirks.

Having said all that, I'll finish off by saying I had to drive almost 2 hours each way every time I flew, but never regretted it. And like someone noted above, you can have tapes or mp3 or whatever to listen to for practicing radio stuff, practical knowledge and so on when you think you need it, mentally rehearsing and visualizing what you're going to be doing that day and so on, so you're ready when you arrive.

And ck out my P&P blog here on LSA stuff to give you frequent updates on LSA and its progress. This next year we'll be seeing a lot more FBOs offering LSA training. With the economy coming around, (we hope), there'll be a lot more folks of all ages getting into it too.

Best of luck to you!

Jim Lawrence
LSA editor, P&P magazine

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement!

Skypix... thanks for taking the time to write such a great response! I appreciate your comments and for relating your experience, as it sounds like I am on a similar track. Congrats to you for getting your Sport ticket!

Tornado & Skypix...I am in the Northeast -- upstate NY -- so I understand that weather can play a big factor in trying to train on a regular schedule, especially in winter. I would really like to continue training and Sport Pilot is looking more and more like the option that fits my mission best at this point. As a fairly "robust" individual -- at least according to FAA standards -- the extra cabin width of the CT is a big plus too.

Fly safe!

Thanks iFLY172, same to you. Drop me a line anytime you have questions about local flying and where you can find sport planes for rent, I'm slowly figuring that out myself. For example, somebody I've written about and the place I got my training was Premier, at Brainard (Hartford, CT, about 1 hr. 45min drive from where I live near Albany). They're a great outfit, you can find them online. They have a CTLS for rent and also two excellent CFIs who teach in the LS as well as GA airplanes

Meanwhile, good luck with your sport flying!

I don't have much to add to the thread, except to welcome both iFLY172 and Jim to PoA! And Jim, thanks for the great writeup! Heckuva first post!

Thanks Grant for the welcome, great site!

ifly172, you aren't any chance near Glenn's Falls are you? If so, there is someone there that you need to talk to, he started out later in life and if nothing else I think he could make a good mentor.

Back