Need some software.

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Okay, here's what I need, it's for managing a service shop. What I want is for each employee to have a code or even a swipe card, and each project have a number. When the employee comes in, he swipes his card and chooses which project/vessel he is working on. When he moves to another project during the day (sometimes people will move around between 5-6+projects per day depending on their skills and the requirements) they come back to the shop, enter their materials used from a materials database, then swipe their card and enter the next project/vessel. When any particular project is complete, click "project finished" and out prints an invoice. Kind like restraunt software, I guess I could modify Aloha, just wondering if there was anything else out there. Thanks.

You billing on time and materials?

There's plenty of software for that, it's what professional offices (think lawyer, engineer, etc) use. You'd just need to add the swipe card.

If it's by a "book" rate, there ought to be something that auto mechanics use.

Henning said:
Okay, here's what I need, it's for managing a service shop. What I want is for each employee to have a code or even a swipe card, and each project have a number. When the employee comes in, he swipes his card and chooses which project/vessel he is working on. When he moves to another project during the day (sometimes people will move around between 5-6+projects per day depending on their skills and the requirements) they come back to the shop, enter their materials used from a materials database, then swipe their card and enter the next project/vessel. When any particular project is complete, click "project finished" and out prints an invoice. Kind like restraunt software, I guess I could modify Aloha, just wondering if there was anything else out there. Thanks.

What you need is the programe from Sparwars called NALCOMIS, Naval,Aviation,Logistics,Computer,Operating,Information,System.

I use it at work (AIMD) NAS Whidbey, to track all time and materials we use in the overhaul, or repair of the T-56 engines. I can account for every penny, and time spent by who, Who worked on it and who inspected what portion of the job.

Each Worker has a log in known only by them, each login has allowable abilities, Worker, Colateral Duty inspector, Supervisor, Quality Assurance inspector, Production controler.

I find a discrepancy, I write a job control number aginst the engine controling document, P/C assignes a priority, it gets placed in a work center(shop) work load listing, I work the list from top to bottom.

Each worker logs in on the job, and orders what pats they need, and P/C authorizes the buy, the parts are installed and the worker logs the job as JC job complete, the job order is then placed in the inspectors inbox and they are required to buy off on the completion.

I manage 28 engines in work at any one time at over a mil in parts and labor, with 50+ people and I can account for every cent, and minute of their time.

It is the best management tool that has come along in my 40 years with the USN.

SparWars is a the computer class at MIT.

NC19143 said:
What you need is the programe from Sparwars called NALCOMIS, Naval,Aviation,Logistics,Computer,Operating,Information,System.

I manage 28 engines in work at any one time at over a mil in parts and labor, with 50+ people and I can account for every cent, and minute of their time.

It is the best management tool that has come along in my 40 years with the USN.

SparWars is a the computer class at MIT.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

NC19143 said:
Nice program but it requires a heck of a backend. Not sure the cost would be justified for a small shop.

Go to Download.com and check out some of the billing software posted there: http://www.download.com/sort/3120-2001_4-0-1-2.html?qt=billing&ca=2001

Some of it sounds like it may work for you. Once upon a time, I did the same thing through Quickbooks but it was just me, not individual users. I haven't used it for years, though.

Contact your local high school and get some Access/Visual Basic guru to write it for you for a couple hundred bucks. He gets the experience, you get the customization and he can use you as a reference later.

Brian Austin said:
Nice program but it requires a heck of a backend. Not sure the cost would be justified for a small shop.

Go to Download.com and check out some of the billing software posted there: http://www.download.com/sort/3120-2001_4-0-1-2.html?qt=billing&ca=2001

Some of it sounds like it may work for you. Once upon a time, I did the same thing through Quickbooks but it was just me, not individual users. I haven't used it for years, though.

Contact your local high school and get some Access/Visual Basic guru to write it for you for a couple hundred bucks. He gets the experience, you get the customization and he can use you as a reference later.

Thanks for the link, I'll see what's available. Problem with the HS kid/Custom software, though it's a great idea and probably the best under other circumstances, is I have to get it up and running next week as well as wrapping up half a dozen other projects before I leave. Sound familiar?:rolleyes:

Henning said:
Thanks for the link, I'll see what's available. Problem with the HS kid/Custom software, though it's a great idea and probably the best under other circumstances, is I have to get it up and running next week as well as wrapping up half a dozen other projects before I leave. Sound familiar?:rolleyes:
Ah...you didn't say NOW. ;)

To be honest, selecting software isn't an overnight endeavor. You really need to allow a lot of time for testing and tweaking for something like this. Project management/billing software is an absolute nightmare to get moving quickly.

Brian Austin said:
Ah...you didn't say NOW. ;)

To be honest, selecting software isn't an overnight endeavor. You really need to allow a lot of time for testing and tweaking for something like this. Project management/billing software is an absolute nightmare to get moving quickly.

Yep, after spending the day on this, I believe your second solution may be the best, I'll try to find the kid for my client, might end up a pretty good job for the kid since this client has NO geekage in him at all. If the kid does good for this client, they might end up with a scholarship:yes: . I told this guy to not get involved in this boatyard, "but it's such a good deal". Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

Henning said:
Yep, after spending the day on this, I believe your second solution may be the best, I'll try to find the kid for my client, might end up a pretty good job for the kid since this client has NO geekage in him at all. If the kid does good for this client, they might end up with a scholarship:yes: . I told this guy to not get involved in this boatyard, "but it's such a good deal". Yeah, right.:rolleyes:
My father-in-law is into boats (100' stuff). He started looking at boatyards to buy, too, but got smart when he started looking harder at P&L's.

Re: your student programmer. Some kids are great choices while others aren't cut out for it. Consider talking to the local teachers about recommendations. You don't want a great programmer. You want a great programmer who listens and can meet a deadline.

Henning said:

Well here is the shop software I use. Fairly inexpensive, pretty stable, etc.
http://www.masterprogram.com/

Don

Back