Need some PIREPs on KBMI (Bloomington, IL)

Jack Spectre

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iSpectre!
I'm flying down to visit my sister in Bloomington, IL in 2 weeks and I was wondering if anyone had info on KBMI.

Specifically, I need a tie down for a 172 for 2 days and a basic rental car. I will be fueling the plane with at least 20 gallons of fuel.

If there are any local pilots with good info, I'd like to get some recommendations if you have them.

Grew up and did all of my flight training in central IL (CMI) and used to fly through BMI occasionally...still use the airport commercially whenever I'm visiting home. Really a nice airport with a pretty modest amount of traffic for one with airline service. The FBO I remember was called Image Air and I don't think we were ever charged a landing or ramp fee..but we never stayed overnight so I can't say for sure. Should be pretty easy to get a rental car due to the presence of the airline service.

I stopped at KBMI at night once. And in the nearby slightly larger Peoria airport. Both in the summer.

Both of these airports have towers, but I'd say that KBMI gets the controllers who aren't good enough for a job at Peoria.

The guy in the KBMI tower seemed really not to be with it. After landing, and while taxiing, he gave me bad taxi directions which he then corrected, and then announced in a discouraging way that the airport would close in 15 minutes -- this caused me to ask 'say again' -- and he then decided to correct himself and say that the tower would close in 15 minutes. This guy seemed to say random incorrect stuff because he just didn't care - he was definitely not on the A-team of air traffic control, but at least he caused me no harm, with no other traffic around that night.

FBO at KBMI was comfy enough - pretty typical for a class D airport. It was open long hours, more than the tower. The FBO at Peoria was slightly better and open 24 hours. FBO attendants at both places were understandably pretty sleepy and bored late at night. When I pulled up at the FBO at KBMI I was sort-of-marshalled to a parking space by one sleepy guy, who then fueled me from a truck with a minimum of verbiage and eye contact, and I paid another sleepy guy at a desk. When I pulled up at the FBO at Peoria (also at night, you'll recall) there was nobody to marshall me and just one sleepy guy stretched out on a couch. Overall, both places will get the job done, but don't expect any joy and excitement when you arrive late at night.

You said you'd need a tie down and rental car -- I didn't try that, but I did notice that the hangar facilities at both KBMI and Peoria seemed to be sizable enough that you could probably park inside for the night if you want.

BTW, if you fly at night this time of year, it's really nice smooth flying around there -- the air is cool and still, the lights of multiple cities can be seen anywhere you might be, and it's just really pleasant night-time flying.

Last edited:
Kenny Rittenhouse at Image Air is the only surviving FBO, having managed to make it while Platinum was competing and destroying himself. In fact Ken managed to buy the Platinum hangar for about 10 cents on the dollar.

Friendly service, I can't remember the tiedown fee but it wasn't much. Fuel is middling in price; they will marshall the Rental car for you.

Call Image Air. They will get you an Enterprise with an FBO rate (they told me $20/day) and have the car waiting for you. If you don't buy fuel, 2 nights tie town is $10. If you do they waive it. I was just there in April for 2 nights. I found out about the car thing after I already booked with Budget, but they were nice enough to drive me over to the terminal building so I could get my car anyway. Next time I'm back, I will just do everything through them.

Back