Need some help.....

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
I'm headed to Currituck on Saturday (ONX). AirNav has a comment "Rwy 5 1200' Stopway to the North East". The Jepp chart shows nothing. The AFD says "Rwy 5-23 North 350' closed indef". Comments in AirNav talk to what appears to be an 1000' unmarked paved extension to the rw that sounds like it's been there forever.

Okay, so I'm a little confused. What's up with this?

Kaye

Kaye said:
I'm headed to Currituck on Saturday (ONX). AirNav has a comment "Rwy 5 1200' Stopway to the North East". The Jepp chart shows nothing. The AFD says "Rwy 5-23 North 350' closed indef". Comments in AirNav talk to what appears to be an 1000' unmarked paved extension to the rw that sounds like it's been there forever.

Okay, so I'm a little confused. What's up with this?

Kaye
I'd call the airport and ask. 252-232-2075

Enjoy the trip

Let us know how it goes and if you find out anything.

Well, the number listed in AirNav is the County office. But they were kind enough to give me the airport number.

The airport guy I talked to (I thought it was unattended :dunno: ) said that the rwy was extended to 5500', but the trees were never cleared. So it would seem that AirNav had it right. Then he got me confused when talking about the south end of the rwy barricaded and trees blocking the north end, but assured me that there was 4000' feet of usable rwy. I'll give ya an update if I survive. :D

Sure sounds like an adventure to me!

Kaye

Kaye said:
but assured me that there was 4000' feet of usable rwy. I'll give ya an update if I survive. :D

Sure sounds like an adventure to me!

Kaye

He was only off by 50'. :D

Take your camera and get some pictures of the F18's. Although, I don't know
if they practice on Saturdays.

greg

P.S. Did you finish your tail wheel endorsement at Sunrise?

!ONX 07/002 ONX 23 THR DSPLCD 350
!ONX 02/005 ONX SEE FDC 6/2297 TIL 0603112300
!ONX 01/004 ONX 5/23 LDA 3950

!FDC 6/2297 ZDC VA/NC FLIGHT ADVISORY...
SOUTHWEST QUADRANT OF NORFOLK, VIRGINIA UP TO A DISTANCE OF 45
NAUTICAL MILES EFFECTIVE 0602251000 UTC UNTIL 0603112300 UTC. THE
U.S. MARINE CORPS 24 MARINE EXPEDITIONARY UNIT WILL BE CONDUCTING
INTENSIVE FLIGHT OPERATIONS IN SUPPORT OF AN ONGOING EXERCISE WITHIN
THE SOUTHWEST QUADRANT OF NORFOLK, VIRGINIA TO A DISTANCE OF 45
NAUTICAL MILES.
NUMEROUS HELICOPTER FLIGHT OPERATIONS BELOW 500 FEET AGL ARE EXPECTED
AND HIGH SPEED CLIMB/DESCENT ALTITUDE TRANSITIONS OF AV-8 HARRIERS,
F/A-18 HORNETS, AND KC-130 HERCULES WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE EXERCISE.
THE AV-8'S AND F/A-18 S MAY EXCEED 250 KNOTS BELOW 10,000 FEET AS
AUTHORIZED BY THE FAA.
PILOTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO MAINTAIN INCREASED VIGILANCE WHEN
OPERATING WITHIN THE ABOVE DESCRIBED AREA.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT CAPT. BRAND, USMC AT 910-459-0737 OR
LTCOL MORONEY, USMC AT 678-478-2737.

river_rat said:
P.S. Did you finish your tail wheel endorsement at Sunrise?.

No.....:mad:

I spent lots of time in CA, but remained holed up in a windowless office from 6 in the morning to 7 or 8 at night. Weekends were only 8 hour days. It was gruesome. Finally got home from the last trip Jan 28.

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeee to fly again......woohoo!!!!! Time to go find an F18 to play.....hehehehehe......

Kaye

I don't know what you'll be landing, but in a 172S I had no problem. The active runway was downwind so a little long on touchdown. In another thread, I did taxi past the turn-off (from the North) and had to back taxi.

FAR pt 1 defn's
Stopway means an area beyond the takeoff runway, no less wide than the runway and centered upon the extended centerline of the runway, able to support the airplane during an aborted takeoff, without causing structural damage to the airplane, and designated by the airport authorities for use in decelerating the airplane during an aborted takeoff.

Back