need some advice on "dual lock" closures for my airplane

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello. Bought about three types of velcro and thy all failed. Issue isn't the velcro, it's the glue that holds the material in place. Airplane of course gets really hot in the hangar, and the glue just can't take it, and releases. I've read here that there's a heavy duty dual lock closure, and it sounds good... but will it incur the same problem with the glue that holds it in place? I just want to be able to use it to stick some vinyl up that's sagging on side panels, stuf like that.
Coaching would be much appreciated from somebody that knows their glue...
—dan

Use contact cement, right on the velcro's sticky side, and on the airframe.

thanks Dan. Sounds like coaching from someone who's been there and done that. Headed to the hardware store now.

I've used Pliobond (heavy duty contact cement), but I mostly use Superflite fabric glue.

We tried the heavy duty Velcro and, as you say, the heat softens the adhesive to the point of failure. I've stuck it back on with some pretty aggressive contact cement (DAP), but that only lasts a while.

Last year we used the all-plastic dual-lock stuff to stick the iFly GPS and its mount to our panel, and it's held up quite well since then. The plane is kept in a metal T-hangar that gets blazing hot in summer and Arctic cold in winter. Your mileage may vary.

Hello. Bought about three types of velcro and thy all failed. Issue isn't the velcro, it's the glue that holds the material in place. Airplane of course gets really hot in the hangar, and the glue just can't take it, and releases. I've read here that there's a heavy duty dual lock closure, and it sounds good... but will it incur the same problem with the glue that holds it in place? I just want to be able to use it to stick some vinyl up that's sagging on side panels, stuf like that.
Coaching would be much appreciated from somebody that knows their glue...
—dan
The 3m Dual Lock will hold up in high heat. Just ask anyone that has an EZ-Pass or Sun-Pass toll pass how many times their EZ-Pass has fallen off their windshield (none for me).

thanks for the input. I appreciate the help.

Last year we used the all-plastic dual-lock stuff to stick the iFly GPS and its mount to our panel, and it's held up quite well since then.

I mount my iFly 740b exactly that way, using the 3M dual lock stuff, and it’s made it through two Florida summers now without loosening at all. I don’t know what adhesive 3M uses, but it works.

Be sure to clean the surfaces well first. I used alcohol wipes.

Back