Need referral for mechanic at KFMY

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I flew a Cherokee Six 300 to KFMY (Ft. Myers, FL) with the family yesterday and today. After dealing with the massively ugly weather southwest of ATL this morning, and spending over an hour in some challenging IMC, our vac pump failed about an hour or so after exiting the IMC. I've got a pump coming, but need to find a good, honest mechanic to work with me on the install. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey, Loren.

I'm a few hours north of you. The school I trained at is also a maintenance shop. The best I could do is ask the owner or my instructor if they have any recommendations for down that way. Let me know if you want me to pursue that tomorrow.

Glad it failed after you were out of IMC.

Hey, Loren.

I'm a few hours north of you. The school I trained at is also a maintenance shop. The best I could do is ask the owner or my instructor if they have any recommendations for down that way. Let me know if you want me to pursue that tomorrow.

Glad it failed after you were out of IMC.

Any help is appreciated!

The closest I can come with a recommendation is in KLAL .

Loren,

No luck with a recommendation at KFMY. They don't appear to know anyone down that way. However, here's what the owner of the shop/school said:

"The pump replacement should take around 1hr at a cost of anywhere between 300-400. Also, whomever does the maintenance may want to change out filters and extras to pad the bill. Hope this helps your buddy."

EDIT - If you want the info for the shop here, let me know. But again, no personal experience with the maintenance.

Last edited:
1 hour = three to four hundred dollars? :eek:

I'm glad i'm not paying those rates.

Loren,

No luck with a recommendation at KFMY. They don't appear to know anyone down that way. However, here's what the owner of the shop/school said:

"The pump replacement should take around 1hr at a cost of anywhere between 300-400. Also, whomever does the maintenance may want to change out filters and extras to pad the bill. Hope this helps your buddy."

EDIT - If you want the info for the shop here, let me know. But again, no personal experience with the maintenance.

Thanks for the effort. I've changed them myself several times with my mechanic inspecting and signing off the work. Maybe I'll do that now via Skype back to my mechanic (who happens to own the Six) for the sign-off.

That's including the pump and if so seems reasonable

ahhh...

In that case, agreed, but Loren said he had the pump coming, thus I assumed that info was passed along to the guy quoting the price.

Wrong assumption, I guess.

Thanks for the effort. I've changed them myself several times with my mechanic inspecting and signing off the work. Maybe I'll do that now via Skype back to my mechanic (who happens to own the Six) for the sign-off.

Ok. I owed ya one from back during my training. Wish I could be a bit more help. Good luck.

Ok. I owed ya one from back during my training. Wish I could be a bit more help. Good luck.

I appreciate it. Spruce says the new one may be here tomorrow....Wednesday at the latest. Just need to find a spot to do the swap. I can fly someplace in the area, too.

Back