Need PRE buy C182 help/person to do one out of Riverside CA!!

David Snell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DavidSnell
Hello,

My name is David and I am about to go see a 1975 C182 out of Riverside CA this next week that I hope to buy. I have flown C172 for years and my friends have older 182 Skylanes who can assist me with knowledge BUT not like a A&P who does C 172/182 pre buys on a regular basis. I know Cheno airport is near buy too? I do not want to use the main FBO there as they have the plane brokering it! Also (I can look but have NOT) , is there a pretty comprehensive list of pre buy check points on line I can review prior to engaging a person to go do the pre buy. I know cost is 800-1100 and time can be all day. I do NOT want to find out issues back in Dallas so any referrals out west in that area? Thanks please email me any to davidgsnell@gmail.com or text 469-seven67-2645

Thanks

David

Pretty hard to beat the folks recommended by Cessna Pilot's Assn in California, and well within striking range to fly the airplane up to them if they don't have a recommendation down there.

I agree from what I was told but reaching someone on other had right now seems to be difficult. IF anyone knows how to reach a person during their move etc etc i would love to find a referral from them but so far my request have not been previously replied to hence my post here seeking a qualified person! Thanks when able.

Waypoint Aviation Services is right there at Riverside. They specialize in Beechcraft but probably do Cessna prebuys as well.

Corona Airport has Procraft Aviation. Chino has a couple places. One is Inland Valley Aviation, but they are pretty booked up at the moment.

Foothill Aircraft Service at Cable Airport is an authorized Cessna service center which sounds appealing but they missed something on my prebuy. I think they are technically astute, but didn't abide by my instructions to perform the prebuy to the same scope and detail as an annual. They are also more expensive than other shops.

Thanks the plane is being brokered by a guy who owns Riverside FBO and I THINK "Waypoint" is owned by him too!! So Ill reach out to the others had heard Chino may be good etc. Was it a major screw up by Foothill Aircraft Service at Cable Airport in your pre buy? I was quoted $1100 from one guy lower pre buys I have been told $800 ish. I certainly want whoever to do it to abide by the highest level of testing/checking etc as anything missed isnt paid by them to fix!! SoCal..........do you have a "pre buy" check list you supplied them would love to get a copy if possible?? So far I just printed one from AOPA which I would think is rather detailed but curious for comparison stakes if you have one you can find love to get a copy please davidgsnell@gmail.com if not no biggie!! Thanks for the input

My prebuy a couple months ago was $1500 and I turned it into an annual after I decided to buy for another $410. (Fixing all the prebuy and annual stuff cost more of course.)

As @denverpilot says, Cessna Pilots Association is nearby (between LA and SF?). They also have a 182 Buyers Guide that inludes a comprehensive prebuy checklist. Gotta join before you can buy it. Worth it's price in education. Don't hurry the purchase.

As far as Foothill Aircraft, I may use them again for select items, but the main issue I have is their dismissiveness of my request to do a thorough prebuy to the same scope and detail as an annual. Based on the prebuy squawk list they provided I purchased the plane, then had them do an annual on it. During the annual, they found an issue with the retractable landing gear. You wont have that issue with the 182P.

I was looking for a fixed gear 182P model just like you so I joined CPA and purchased their 182 Buyer's Guide (I ended up with an R182 instead, but that's a different story). The guide has an extensive checklist. For the 182P, some big items include empennage bulkhead cracks, cowl flap condition, firewall damage, fuel cell condition, fuel caps (no Cessna "killer" caps), corrosion by the kick panels and spar carry-through. I see the engine is low time, what prompted the overhaul? Was it gear collapse? Check this out.

In addition to those, a good look at the mags, thorough look at the prop and it's log, ours had its battery tray/holder cut out and replaced before we bought it, there's this small part right up/around the nose wheel strut that can get cracked from a hard nose wheel hit and it's $$$$, our windscreen rattles at low idle and has some fine bubble like glazing, pilot seat stop (there's a much nicer belt system and cessna will pay for the part), etc.

Thanks to all. Well headed on a 1220 a.m. flight to do pre buy tomorrow morning. Poor airplane is going to feel violated when the guy is done with it! Thanks to Co Cal for the referral to Rich Cavu. Seems like really good guy as a A&P and he is a IA also and owns/flys a C182 so exploring we shall go tomorrow! I got a 161 dollar ticket one way so even if the plane misses something and causes me to walk I will leave there with a wealth of knowledge I did not have prior. Like a one day class on the airplane so either way should be good but hope plane checks out! Thanks again........if all goes well long cross country coming up thats for sure. Thanks David

Hope it works out for you. Looking forward to hearing all about it either way.

Hi David. Glad I was able to provide a good referral. I forgot Rich also owns a 182, so he has bonus experience as an owner. Hope everything works out for you. You have the right attitude with being prepared to walk. However, so far, I see no show stoppers with the plane. If I wasn't so busy with work and family I would head over to Riverside and see how its going. Keep us posted.

Back