Need opinions on a few Cockpit Accesories

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
There are a few items I am seeking for cockpit accessories.
1)Should I just add an E6B such as sportys to my Ipad, or purchase a standalone electronic e6b?

2)Mounting for the Ipad. I like the MyGoFlight Sport. Also, gives me the ability to use it as a knee board. Do you think there are better options?

3)I would like to purchase a backup Radio. Which brand do you like? I was thinking between Sportys with the VOR, or one of the Vestex with VOR.

4)I want to get a passenger kit in case anyone gets sick or such. Any recommendations what to build, or a kit to purchase?

5)If you have other helpful ideas, and items you like to have with you in the cockpit?

1) You'll probably never end up actually using one. Definately not buy a standalone. Buy an app if anything

2) It's personal preference. I like the RAM yoke mounted upside down - doesn't block my view. Once in a while I can get it just perfect and I can get my ipad sideways so my polarized sunglasses still work. I don't like things on my legs. Some people hate the mounts. You are welcome to try mine out if you want to experiment.

3) I'd go with whatever is cheapest. Do you really need one with a VOR - you have an ipad and probably a phone as backup navigation. Get something cheap and used.

4) Grab a couple barf bags from your next airline flight. Keep a pack of ginger chews in my flight bag - those sometime helps. Maybe a parachute.

5) Video cameras are fun. Get a GoPro or even a cheap $40 chinese hat clip camera. Record some of your memorable landings. Fuel strainer. Flashlight. 2nd headset. ipad friendly gloves. foggles.

1)Should I just add an E6B such as sportys to my Ipad, or purchase a standalone electronic e6b?

I'd just add one to the IPAD. Quite honestly, if you've plugged a route in to Foreflight, your times and fuel burns will be computed for you about as accurate as you could do it yourself.

2)Mounting for the Ipad. I like the MyGoFlight Sport. Also, gives me the ability to use it as a knee board. Do you think there are better options?

I tried one and found it too restrictive. I just sit it in my lap and move it around as needed.

3)I would like to purchase a backup Radio. Which brand do you like? I was thinking between Sportys with the VOR, or one of the Vestex with VOR.

I have an ICOM with the VOR. Although cool, I've never actually used the VOR function other than just to play with it a couple times.

4)I want to get a passenger kit in case anyone gets sick or such. Any recommendations what to build, or a kit to purchase?

A paper grocery sack works fine. Put kitty litter in it if you're worried about smell.

5)If you have other helpful ideas, and items you like to have with you in the cockpit?

A plastic laminated checklist like the Surecheck is great. And I carry a generic POH in my flight bag in case I need it. Much easier than dealing with the bound one, which is big and falling apart.

Just say no. The less stuff in the plane, the better. Your passengers will do a fine job of filling it with clutter without a head start.

Large clips for attaching unused maps to sun visors for cockpit shade.

Coil spring stick-on pencil holders.

Plastic reminders for altimeter face.

Headlamp for when cockpit is really dark. Hand-held flashlights are worthless when you really need to see something.

E=AirDC;1051780]1) You'll probably never end up actually using one. Definately not buy a standalone. Buy an app if anything

2) It's personal preference. I like the RAM yoke mounted upside down - doesn't block my view. Once in a while I can get it just perfect and I can get my ipad sideways so my polarized sunglasses still work. I don't like things on my legs. Some people hate the mounts. You are welcome to try mine out if you want to experiment.

3) I'd go with whatever is cheapest. Do you really need one with a VOR - you have an ipad and probably a phone as backup navigation. Get something cheap and used.

4) Grab a couple barf bags from your next airline flight. Keep a pack of ginger chews in my flight bag - those sometime helps. Maybe a parachute.

5) Video cameras are fun. Get a GoPro or even a cheap $40 chinese hat clip camera. Record some of your memorable landings. Fuel strainer. Flashlight. 2nd headset. ipad friendly gloves. foggles.[/QUOTE]

1) You'll probably never end up actually using one. Definately not buy a standalone. Buy an app if anything

5) Video cameras are fun. Get a GoPro or even a cheap $40 chinese hat clip camera. Record some of your memorable landings. Fuel strainer. Flashlight. 2nd headset. ipad friendly gloves. foggles.

The yoke mount will not work for me at the moment because the Piper Sport and The Sport Cruiser have a control stick. I like the idea of having something universal. As far as having something on my leg, not sure if I like it or not because I have not had room for it in the sport. It gets in the way of the stick.

Your right, probably do not need the VOR function with the iPad. As far as possibly never needing a back up radio, probably right. Better safe than sorry. But, I can listen in on it when on the ground just for fun.

Are you talking about having a parachute to make the passenger more comfortable, or in case they want to exit the aircraft while airborne, or added safety. Maybe just putting a tag on a backpack that says parachute might make the passenger feel more comfortable? I do not have any commercial flights planned anytime soon. I will probably order some. If you think ginger chews help, I will buy some of those too.

I do have a second headset now because I decided to pick up the Bose with their payment plan. Fuel strainer I left in one of the planes, and it disappeared. I need my own foggles.

Are any of the ipad friendly gloves, instrument friendly? Such as depressing some of those small buttons?

This doesn't get leaky? Maybe bring along a plastic bag to put the paper bag in?

Probably a good idea. I've only tested it out once - a passenger in the rear seat got sick so we dumped the picnic snacks out of the sack and it seemed to work pretty good.

And don't forget to go on the never ending search for the "perfect" flight bag to put all that stuff in. In all of the years I have been flying, I am still on the search. I asked Santa for a Brightline this year but since I was naughty (did an avionics upgrade) I'm not sure I will get one...

And don't forget to go on the never ending search for the "perfect" flight bag to put all that stuff in. In all of the years I have been flying, I am still on the search. I asked Santa for a Brightline this year but since I was naughty (did an avionics upgrade) I'm not sure I will get one...

I received a Brightline for Chanukah! :yes::goofy:

There are a few items I am seeking for cockpit accessories.

As for the rest of your questions:

1) I would put it on the iPad. If you begin flying IFR regularly the E6B, you will be relegated to a less prominent role. If you really want a separate one, send me a PM and I will send you my Sporty's.
2) Just like the search for the "perfect" flight bag, if you are like some of us, you will be trying out a bunch of different knee and iPad mounts. I have an Ulimate Kneeboard and when I had paper approach plates, it was great to organize everything. I still use it all the time but mostly for checklist, emergency procedures and whatever paper backup I want to print out.
3) I have the Vertex waterproof model. It replaced a KX99 that died. The biggest problem with most of these units is range. If you own your own plane I would suggest putting a switch in for allowing you to use your own plane's external comm antennae to transmit.
4) Doubled grocery store plastic bags are the cheapest way to go. I do a lot of questioning of people I take up. If there is any sign that they are likely to get sick, I strategically place the bag in a "locked and loaded" position.
5) We could spend weeks talking about stuff for flying. Once you get yourself comfortable with the way you will fly, you will begin seeing a pattern emerge. I fly with guys that hate knee boards and will use only laminated cards on a clip for their checklists. Others will use clips to attach them to the side window. It all comes down to your preferences and whether or not there is something out there to address that preference. I spent a lot of money ordering and trying out stuff that I thought would be "perfect", only to find out it wasn't for me. Find other pilots and see if they have stuff laying around that you could try. I have a whole closet of stuff! If you come back here with something you want to try, let me know! I probably have it and it is collecting dust!

Pens. tough to have too many pens or other writing implements.

Do you have CO detector?

A little johnny or equivalent?

extra flashlight?

quick-donning life preserver?

Dunno, haven't looked at a catalog for at least 10 years. It's the little snap-in color-code gizmo that slides around the edge of the dial. At one time somebody made one with two red hands that were the same size as the white ones on the dial. They were great but had disappeared the last time I looked.

Are you talking about an Altitude reminder?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother with an e6b if you're planning to use foreflight. I like the RAM suction cup mount for my iPhone. I managed to get it to stick to the canopy on 610PS last weekend, but it took a little fiddling.

Gallon ziploc bags for airsickness should do the job. Other flight bag items: paper towels, nitrile goves, powerbar, leatherman. Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

I've been meaning to get a GATS jar.

I make my own checklists and cheatsheets; I find that it helps me internalize and remember stuff for the flight at hand. It's essentially a reinvented navlog with room for squawks, fuel, and hobbs/tach/etc times. YMMV.

I have a small VFR kneeboard thingy. I keep the SFRA and intercept procedures in there as a talisman to keep the F16s away. I also keep relevant AOPA airport kneeboard printouts there as a backup to foreflight, my cheatsheet, and the sectional.

I make my own checklists and cheatsheets; I find that it helps me internalize and remember stuff for the flight at hand. It's essentially a reinvented navlog with room for squawks, fuel, and hobbs/tach/etc times. YMMV.

Care to share. I have been trying to find the perfect one myself.

And you're still trying to figure out a 200 nm X/C? What's wrong with this picture?:D:wink2:`

I wouldn't bother with an e6b if you're planning to use foreflight. I like the RAM suction cup mount for my iPhone. I managed to get it to stick to the canopy on 610PS last weekend, but it took a little fiddling.

Gallon ziploc bags for airsickness should do the job. Other flight bag items: paper towels, nitrile goves, powerbar, leatherman. Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

I've been meaning to get a GATS jar.

I have a small VFR kneeboard thingy. I keep the SFRA and intercept procedures in there as a talisman to keep the F16s away. I also keep relevant AOPA airport kneeboard printouts there as a backup to foreflight, my cheatsheet, and the sectional.

If you fly with the iPad, put it on the iPad.

After two years using my iPad as my EFB, I've decided that just keeping it loose works best.

I have an iCom A22 which is at least 15 years old, and have found no reason to regret having bought that rather than one of the others. However, there are probably more modern units available.

My wife and I grab sick sacs off the airliners every time we fly them. Can't think of what else you might need.

Less is more. When I first got my PP, I had all sorts of silly stuff. Turned out I never used any of it, and it just cluttered up the cockpit. Now, all I carry in clients' planes are my headset, kneeboard, and iPad, and in my own plane, I also have my handheld nav/comm radio (aforementioned iCom A22) and my Garmin Aera 510 weather/backup GPS unit. That's it.

Actually, if you look closely, Slim said "Dallas," not "Vegas," but someone in the censorship department was afraid of offending Dallas TX, while feeling that Las Vegas NV cannot be offended. So, "Dallas" was dubbed over as "Vegas."

The average passenger will probably find more interest in an iPad than an E6B.

I dunno. An eight year old passenger dug an E6B out of my flight bag and said "My grandpa has something that looks kinda like this."

For what?
was having a beer with the neighbor who has a kid taking flying lessons, and the cardboard whiz wheel was on the coffee table, it came in handy when his wife walked in and gave me the "we use coasters in this house" look

Back