Need Nashville info

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
We are thinking about a Nashville stop on our way back from Ft. Myers later this week. Any recommendations for airports? Murfreesboro or Springfield have better gas prices. Not sure how GA friendly BNA is? Any suggestions appreciated.

We are thinking about a Nashville stop on our way back from Ft. Myers later this week. Any recommendations for airports? Murfreesboro or Springfield have better gas prices. Not sure how GA friendly BNA is? Any suggestions appreciated.

We landed at John Tune last April, busy place on a nice weekend. Fuel was cheaper than BNA and we rented a car. :D

I've always landed at John C Tune. Nice airport, been happy with it.

Well, it's a bit south of what you're looking for but Tullahoma is cool. You'll see on Airnav they have cheap fuel and great comments from everyone. If you get time ya gotta check out the Beechcraft museum there. If you're in a hurry, then John C Tune will get you in and out quickly.

Tune nice little airport ,easy trip to the city.

I'd 2nd John Tune. Good location, good prices, nice people, easy.

I usually land at John Tune also. I have heard BNA is GA friendly, but not sure about the landing fees, etc. Tune is closer to downtown, no landing fees and easy to get in and out of. They bring the rental car out to you on the ramp, even if you are flying a C-150. Nice touch.

Another vote for Tune. Easy to get in/out, good approaches, easy rentals, reasonable self serve fuel, great service. They also seem to be pretty generous regarding charging parking fees.

They also seem to be pretty generous regarding charging parking fees.

I have only used Tune for in and out in one day and always bought fuel. I have never been charged parking fees.

Springfield (M91) is a nice place. Let me know if you go there and I'll take you to the Depot if I am not coaching lacrosse or watching soccer. If something breaks they have a mechanic and an avionics shop on the field.

I have been into KJWN john tune and KBNA nashville. Tune is easier in and out, cheaper, offers self service fuel pumps, close to downtown, etc. Without looking, I seem to recall a nonstandard traffic pattern and runway numbers changed at some point if your database is old.

If you go into tune, expect to hear a local radio break through on CTAF when about 1-2 mile final. Also, look at the towers in the area; there are some very high towers relatively close to tune.

I have also flown into Tullahoma, TN as was mentioned. Tullahoma offered me a courtesy car and is only a few miles down the road from the Lynchburg, TN home of Jack Daniels brewery which is beautiful and offers tours. It would be one to consider. There is also a wood prop shop nearby Tullahoma, I do not remember their name, but they would come to the airport to pick up a prop if you dropped it off for overhaul and have it waiting at the airport on your return flight.

Thanks for all the tips. Tune sounds like the leading candidate, but I'll review all recommendations.

I appreciate the help!

Loren

Another vote for John Tune. RP on 20 and as others have said watch out for very tall towers in the area. I've also been into BNA several times and they are usually very friendly and I have had no issues but expect more expensive everything.

If you are thinking about more than a fueling stop, Tune. If you are just looking for a quick stop and low fuel $, Shelbyville, KSYI has the lowest fuel prices and good service. Full service fuel, courtesy car, clean terminal.

Another vote for Tullahoma. The Staggerwing Museum is on the south side of the field and worth the visit if you have time.

I usually go into Lebanon (M54) but I have friends in Mt. Juliet which is on that side of town.

BNA is friendly and the prices aren't as bad as some other major airports though the other airports will be cheaper. BNA is very accomodating. They let me noodle around down town with some signtseeing passengers.

M33 Sumner County Rgnl, Gallatin, TN 100LL = $5.45

Not convenient if your intent is to go into Nashville. I've used it to visit family in Hendersonville.

First Beechcraft Baron. One of many firsts at Tullahoma.

Attachments

• securedownload55.jpg
    securedownload55.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 18
Loren, If I were making that flight (and I have many times) I would, without a doubt, make the stop at Murfreesboro. I lived 8 miles north of KMBT at Fall Creek Airpark for many years prior to moving to FL 3 yrs ago. Murfreesboro will have the cheapest gas prices in the immediate Nashville area...cheaper than Smyrna, Lebanon, and most definitely cheaper than Tune or BNA. And they have self serve which, for me, is a definite plus.

If you don't mind stopping a little south of BNA area try Shelbyville, Tullahoma or even Winchester for cheap(er) gas. Those are all good airports.

If close proximity to Nashville downtown is a priority than Tune would be a good choice as well as KBNA.

I have only used Tune for in and out in one day and always bought fuel. I have never been charged parking fees.

To be clear, generous as in not charging for parking even though I was there for two nights and only used their self serve fueling station.

As far as airports, there are plenty of other outlying airports serving communities in the Greater Nashville area, but if you're going to see city, Tune makes the best sense.

Loren, I flew VFR in a Mooney into BNA in August, and couldn't have had a better experience. I used Signature. Yeah, the fuel price was a little higher than the surrounding airports, but the service was excellent and it was worth the convenience. I think I paid a total $25 ramp fee for the three or four nights I was there.

I made a couple local VFR sightseeing flights in and out while I was there, and ATC was exceedingly accommodating...even when I managed to take the wrong taxiway a couple times in the midst of construction! ("Well, y'all just make a 180 up there and take your next left." I'm pretty I'd have gotten chastised at most class C fields here in the northeast for that!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on John Tune airport. It was ultra-convenient and their service has been stellar. The rental car was sitting behind the plane by the time we crawled out. We will definitely be back.

Oh, and the dueling pianos at Big Bang club on Broadway was great! Talented musicians and great comedy all in one!

Thanks for the tip on John Tune airport. It was ultra-convenient and their service has been stellar. The rental car was sitting behind the plane by the time we crawled out.

That has been my experience also, LD. Great FBO.

Back