Need hood time for IR Rating near MSP

MSPAviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MSPAviator
I need some more hood time to fulfill the requirements of my IR rating under Part 61. Contact me if you live in the Minneapolis, MN area and want to discuss split safety pilot/hood/XC time with me. :D I have access to a nice Cessna 152 or Piper PA-28R with good availability.

Have you started any of your IFR training yet?

I'd recommend at least a few lessons on the basics, before trying to get that hood time and practice.

I used to think the same - "What would I need 40 hours with a CFII for?".

I'm about ready to take the check ride, I have about 40 hours total hood time, probably at least 30 of them with a CFII working on my IR.

I agree with Andrew, CFII first, then get a safety pilot, if need more hood time.

I consider myself pretty a quick learner, I use a simulator to practice at home, and take 1-2 lessons a week. I work hard and prepare before each lesson.

Don't think I could have done it with less then 30 hours.

YMMV.

If I still lived up there I would go in a heart beat. I won't be back up there until next month.

Have you started any of your IFR training yet?

I'd recommend at least a few lessons on the basics, before trying to get that hood time and practice.

I've flown some VOR approaches in day-VFR conditions without any failed instruments with a CFII onboard, although I am nowhere near ready for the checkride. I have more than enough VFR XC time too.

that (non-precision approach) is but 1 task of many on the PTS

Back