Need Help

AIRBUS340

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ADAM
Okay I Am Going To Be A Senior This Upcoming Year In High School And Need Some Help. I Have To Do A Senior Project And I Decided To Do It On Flying. I Am Going To Talk About How To Fly An Airplane. I Also Need A "tutor" All I Want To Do Is Do A Couple Of Interviews With A Pilot. I Am In The Florida Area So I Am Looking For Pilots In The Tampa Area. I Figured That I Would Pay For Lunch Or Something While In The Interview. Please Contact Me At bananez17@yahoo.com .

Let Me Know If You Have Any Questions I Am Not In That Area But Would Be Glad To Answer Any Questions You May Have.

Good Luck With The Project !!

:D

Okay Here Are A Few Questions . Please Copy The Questions From Here And Put Them On A Wordperfect, Or Microsoft Word Publishing And Then Write The Answers Underneath, This Way It Will Help Me Out With Organization.

1. What Are The Requirements To Be A Pilot ?
2. What Is The Before Flight Planning (as In Destination)?
3. What Kind Of Before Flight Checks Do You Have To Do To The Plane?
4. How Do You Take Off ? ( In Detail Describe The Instruments You Use )
5. What Do You Do While Up In The Air?
6. How Do You Prepare For Landing? ( Detailed On What Instruments And What You Do )
7. When You Land What Do You Do?

Those Are The 7 Questions Jangell Please Be Very Detailed. You Can Email Me Document To My Email Which Is bananez17@yahoo.com.
Thanks

AIRBUS340 said:
Okay Here Are A Few Questions . Please Copy The Questions From Here And Put Them On A Wordperfect, Or Microsoft Word Publishing And Then Write The Answers Underneath, This Way It Will Help Me Out With Organization.

3. What Kind Of Before Flight Checks Do You Have To Do To The Plane?
4. How Do You Take Off ? ( In Detail Describe The Instruments You Use )
6. How Do You Prepare For Landing? ( Detailed On What Instruments And What You Do )
7. When You Land What Do You Do?

Those Are The 7 Questions Jangell Please Be Very Detailed. You Can Email Me Document To My Email Which Is bananez17@yahoo.com.
Thanks
airbus340 said:
It Depends On Your Defination Of A Pilot. You Can Fly An Airplane By Yourself (It Is Called Soloing) During Training. In Order To Do This You Need To Get A Medical Evaulation Done By An Aviation Medical Examiner And You Must Be 16 Years Old. After You Receive Instruction From A Certified Flight Instructor He Will Have You Solo The Airplane By Yourself. This Usually Consists Of Three Takeoffs And Landings.

In Order To Get Your Actual Private Pilots License You Must:
  • Be At Least 17 Years Old
  • Have A Current FAA Third-Class Medical Certificate
  • Log At Least 40 Hours Of Flight Time
  • Have At Least 20 Hours of Flight Time With An Instructor
  • Have At Least 10 Hours Of Solo Flight Time
  • Pass The FAA Private Pilot Airmen Knowledge Written Test
  • Pass A FAA Private Pilot Flight Exam
airbus340 said:
The Before Flight Planning Consists Of You Obtaining All Relevant Information About Your Flight. This Includes:
  • Weight And Balance Information (You Don't Want To Have Too Much Weight In Your Plane Or It Will Be Unsafe
  • Airplane Performance Information. You Want To Make Sure That Your Airplane Is Capable Of Taking Off And Landing On Your Departure Runway and Destiation Runway. You Need To Know The Lengths Of The Runways and Many Other Factors Which Effect The Performance Of Your Airplane (Weight, Temperature, Elevation, etc)
  • You Also Need To Figure Out How You Are Going To Get There. There Are Maps Known As Sectionals. I Draw A Line From The Airport I am Leaving To The Destination Airport. Along This Line I make Dashes. These Are CheckPoints. During The Flight I Make Sure I Am Flying Past These Points. Modern Technology Has Made Airplane Navivation Much Easier In The Last 10 Years. GPS Is Used By Many Pilots, This Enables The Pilot To Know Exactly Where He Is At On The Planet.
  • Weather. This Is Extremly Important. You Need To Look At The Weather Of Your Deperature And Destination Airport, Along With THe Weather That May Effect You Enroute. It Is A Good Idea To Start Watching The Weather A Few Days Before Your Flight. This Helps You Understand What The Current Trend Of The Weather Is And How It May Affect you.
There I Answered Some Of Your Questions. I Am Sure Someone Else Here Won't Mind Taking Over And Answering Some More. One Thing You Will Learn About Pilots Is We All Do Things A Little Bit Differently. I Do Not Have The Time Right Now To Answer The Rest. Perhaps I Will Do It This Weekend.

Honestly If You Want To Do A Good Job On This Report I Suggest You Find A Pilot To Fly With. Go Ask Around At The Airport. Worst Case For $50 Pretty Much Any Flight School Will Let You Go Up And Fly With An Instructor. He Will Let You Fly The Airplane! Also. Please. Read What I Have Written And Write It In Your Own Words. Your Request For Me To Make It All Pretty In A Word File Makes Me Slightly Hesitant About Writing Your Entire Report.

Last edited:
Jangell , Don't Worry I Am Writing My Own Report. The Reason I Wanted It In A Word Document Like I Said Before Is For The Professional And Organized Look To It. I Have Also Flown A Cessna Skyhawk 172 , But I Need A Professional To Help Me. I Am Also Planning On Receiving Help From People In My Area Too . I Also Plan To Go Back Up In The Sky With An Instructor And Video Tap It. I Really Would Appreciate It If You Did Do It This Weekend On A Word Document.

And Why Are We Writing With Every Word in Capital Letters?

Judy

judypilot said:
And Why Are We Writing With Every Word in Capital Letters?

Judy
I Have No Idea I Just Thought It Was How You Were Supposed To Write? :D

I Am Writing In Caps Because I Feel Like It. I Still Need Some Help So Feel Free To Help ,but If Your Not Going To Help Please Do Not Come On To The Thread And Write About Stupid Things.

AIRBUS340 said:

mmmmmm, eat lunch, sing to myself, see how far I can glide from 8,000ft, think about what I am going to do when I get to destination... :rolleyes:
"I'm sure this isn't what you meant thought", sorry not much help...

AIRBUS340 said:
I Am Writing In Caps Because I Feel Like It. I Still Need Some Help So Feel Free To Help ,but If Your Not Going To Help Please Do Not Come On To The Thread And Write About Stupid Things.
Adam,

Both Jesse and Judy did not post stupid things in this thread. They were simply wondering why you were writing in the manner you were as it is not common to see that style writing on this board. In fact, Jesse initially answered many questions for you. I can guarantee you that people will not want to help you when you accuse them of posting "stupid things." That shows a lack or respect and I wouldn't expect many answers when you post like that in this forum. I respect both of them very much and I suggest you do the same.

...putting that aside, feel free to post more questions that we can all answer. I look forward to writing my answers/responses.

Regards,
Jason

AIRBUS340 said:

Adam,

Take this however you would like to.

Here is a link to a particularly important regulation regarding pilot certification, 61.83(c).

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-61.html#14:2.0.1.1.2.3.1.2

James Dean

HPNPilot1200, I NEVER SAID WHAT JESSE SAID WAS STUPID. MATTER OF FACT I AM RATHER APPRECIATIVE, BUT WHEN JUDY COMES ON AND ASKS ABOUT WHY I WRITE IT CAPS... IT IS OFF TOPIC, I DONT NEED THE OFF TOPIC KIND OF THINGS HERE.

AIRBUS340 said:
HPNPilot1200, I NEVER SAID WHAT JESSE SAID WAS STUPID. MATTER OF FACT I AM RATHER APPRECIATIVE, BUT WHEN JUDY COMES ON AND ASKS ABOUT WHY I WRITE IT CAPS... IT IS OFF TOPIC, I DONT NEED THE OFF TOPIC KIND OF THINGS HERE.
Please don't type with all caps, Adam. On the internet, it is the equivalent of screaming at someone. Judy is a very nice person who I have a lot of respect for and I think it is quite rude to b*tch about someone being off topic when in reality, she isn't. It's not your forum/community, it is all of ours.

Jason

Last edited:
ednowlin said:
mmmmmm, eat lunch, sing to myself, see how far I can glide from 8,000ft, think about what I am going to do when I get to destination... :rolleyes:
"I'm sure this isn't what you meant thought", sorry not much help...
What runs through my mind periodically:

1. Uncommanded yaw to the left. Floor the collective, right pedal, enter autorotation. RPM and airspeed. Engine or gearbox failure.

2. Uncommanded yaw to the right, left pedal doesn't do anything. Floor the collective, enter autorotation, RPM and airspeed (higher than in thought 1). Tail rotor failure.

3. Light in the seat (low G), gentle aft cyclic so that baby doesn't try to roll over.

4. Swimming pool below. Naked lady in it or by it? If yes, lower collective and orbit at 200 AGL. Unless the wife or SO is in the a/c.

RotaryWingBob said:
4. Swimming pool below. Naked lady in it or by it? If yes, lower collective and orbit at 200 AGL. Unless the wife or SO is in the a/c.

And my desire to train increases every moment with thoughts like these. :D

Most of my time enroute (if the autopilot is flying the airplane) is divided between:
Playing "what if" games:
What if the engine fails?
What if I have a (electrical, hydraulic, control) systems failure?
What if the weather along the route gets worse?
Entertaining my passengers
Talking to Air Traffic Control
Monitoring the airplane systems and autopilot (making sure everything works and I know where I am)
Thinking about all the nice folks I met through this forum
Wishing I owned a Pilatus, a Mooney, a Cub, and a BBJ
Thinking about sex (male habit, can't do anything about it)

If the autopilot is off, then I'm doing all of the above and actually physically controlling the airplane.

I could easily spend all my cruise time trying to perfect my knowledge of the menus on the Instrument-certified GPS in the airplane.

I used to think I'd love to have an entertainment system, something to play CDs or radio. But having tried that a couple of times, I find I prefer remaining focused on the actual flying. Only time I really used the "music input" function on one of the Bonanzas, was to listen to a football game- and the signal faded out before the game ended!

SCCutler said:
I could easily spend all my cruise time trying to perfect my knowledge of the menus on the Instrument-certified GPS in the airplane.
...but Spike knows better than to bury his head in the cockpit like that.

AIRBUS340 said:

Adam, if you knew anything at all about Judy, you would know also how silly that sounds. A little contrition goes a long way my friend.

Back