Need help with testing an aviation related website

This project will get complicated in Alaska. There are weather stations in places where there isn't an airport, or where there's a tiny airport without an ICAO identifier, or where there is a third-party or "advisory" weather station that has metar-like information that some websites (like Skyvector or Windy or avcams.faa.gov) display anyway. For instance "PAPT" (Rainy Pass/Puntilla Lake), "PATO" (Portage Pass), "PAEC" (Chulitna), etc. I don't know of an easy way to track all of these down, or how far down this rabbit hole you want to go...

Birchwood, AK (PABV) is also missing.

Good luck,

This project will get complicated in Alaska. There are weather stations in places where there isn't an airport, or where there's a tiny airport without an ICAO identifier, or where there is a third-party or "advisory" weather station that has metar-like information that some websites (like Skyvector or Windy or avcams.faa.gov) display anyway. For instance "PAPT" (Rainy Pass/Puntilla Lake), "PATO" (Portage Pass), "PAEC" (Chulitna), etc. I don't know of an easy way to track all of these down, or how far down this rabbit hole you want to go...

Birchwood, AK (PABV) is also missing.

Good luck,

That's actually easy. Run a loop that searches for PAAA, PAAB, PAAC...==>...PZZX, PZZY, PZZZ and if they return a wx report dump them to a file, copypasta the identifiers to your data set, and voila

I don't know if we have any Python programmers here, but any idea to add a map overlay to my html?
I already have an API from http://vfrmap.com/

Whatcha mean map overlay? Something like this? https://rampfee.me/mapView/khio

You want to overlay a custom bit of info for (I presume) metar data? maybe click/hover the details?

Pretty straightforward, but it's HTML/JS/CSS not Python. You just need to ajax the data in. If you don't want to send all the ajax packets over the wire for some reason, you can use python to preload the JS data using a CGI style. It just makes the initial page load super heavy. We have a lot of airports :)

The hard part is to tie the airport coordinates to the underlying map. It changes with zoom level if your map zooms.

Ping me if you want help with what you're up to. :) I have done some brain damage in this area and happy to share.

Whatcha mean map overlay? Something like this? https://rampfee.me/mapView/khio

You want to overlay a custom bit of info for (I presume) metar data? maybe click/hover the details?

Pretty straightforward, but it's HTML/JS/CSS not Python. You just need to ajax the data in. If you don't want to send all the ajax packets over the wire for some reason, you can use python to preload the JS data using a CGI style. It just makes the initial page load super heavy. We have a lot of airports :)

The hard part is to tie the airport coordinates to the underlying map. It changes with zoom level if your map zooms.

Ping me if you want help with what you're up to. :) I have done some brain damage in this area and happy to share.

Thank you, yes that's what I'm trying to do. I want to add the sectional charts on my map. I'll send you a message.

Can you use a geo-referenced PDF as the base layer for your overlay? Haven't messed with Python in a while - even then it was purely for data analysis doing multi-dimensional correlation of 30,000 products.

Can you use a geo-referenced PDF as the base layer for your overlay? Haven't messed with Python in a while - even then it was purely for data analysis doing multi-dimensional correlation of 30,000 products.

Not really sure, I'm new to Python, but I'll check on it.

I get a screen that just says: Test

On my iPhone safari

Back