Need Help With ILS

Bill Greenwood

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Greenwood
Any suggestions: I have a King KX 155 with nav, ils in my '88 Bonanza B36TC. The glideslope is inop on the ils, the localizer works.

Now my shop is not so used to repair, the King expert retired, and the shop likes to install $10K of new Garmin stuff.

I had the ils repaired ( aligned) once, but still not reliable. It was advised to check antennae, but shop ran out of time. So I am going in for my ADSB tailbeacon install and want to get ils fixed at the same time. Is it likely to be the antenna, do these things wear out? I notice the one on top of the plane the blade, has lost half of its paint, you can see the fiberglass weave. Should that be repainted and does it require special paint?

Thanks for any help, I don't have GPS do really need to have reliable ils if I should fly any imc this year.

Any suggestions: I have a King KX 155 with nav, ils in my '88 Bonanza B36TC. The glideslope is inop on the ils, the localizer works.

Now my shop is not so used to repair, the King expert retired, and the shop likes to install $10K of new Garmin stuff.

I had the ils repaired ( aligned) once, but still not reliable. It was advised to check antennae, but shop ran out of time. So I am going in for my ADSB tailbeacon install and want to get ils fixed at the same time. Is it likely to be the antenna, do these things wear out? I notice the one on top of the plane the blade, has lost half of its paint, you can see the fiberglass weave. Should that be repainted and does it require special paint?

Thanks for any help, I don't have GPS do really need to have reliable ils if I should fly any imc this year.

Where are you? Maybe someone here knows a good avionics dude close by.

Find another same-voltage KX155 with G/S to try and see if it works fine. If so, then it’s the unit. If not, then it’s the wiring or antenna/cable. It could be a bad diplexer or loose/bad cable from the diplexer to the radio.

What model number indicator are you looking at for the glideslope? How does it react when you apply power? 616 822 1999. webairconsulting.com
I was installing new KX 170's when the 155's were released, The crimp connectors were welcomed.

Last edited:
Jesse, yes thanks for the suggestion to try a loaner. The shop has a loaner, I used it while I left my unit to be worked on, but they don't have a loaner with the nav part I need. The com worked just fine in the loaner and think the localizer did to, cant recall that part. The shop is at BJC Denver Metro, used to be great on this older basic radios but one owner passed and one retired. Not that many repair shops around now. I don't really want to send the unit in as its $600 basic charge and that is before the fix anything. and you are without the unit for weeks. It may come to that.

Bob Weber is the lowest cost solution to your problem. If you ever have an autopilot problem pilot he should be your first call. Only once in my plane ownership experiences have I ever thought I can’t believe how inexpensive a repair could be. You the man Bob

I don't have an autopilot problem and don't know who or where Bob Webber is. And Daniel, its not my avionics shop, but I think it is a trend that is more common now, shops are less oriented to repair, may not even have anyone trained in King repair and oriented to install expensive and profitable Garmin or other glass cockpit.

I don't have an autopilot problem and don't know who or where Bob Webber is. And Daniel, its not my avionics shop, but I think it is a trend that is more common now, shops are less oriented to repair, may not even have anyone trained in King repair and oriented to install expensive and profitable Garmin or other glass cockpit.

Bob Weber is in KMKG and I bring 4 decades of experience to the game you are finding yourself in. I can answer this simple question if you would like. I will just need a bit more info, then I can guide most any mechanic to the solution. I do this daily, all over the globe. WebairConsulting.com 616 822 1999

So if your shop at metro won’t fix it, you don’t want to upgrade, you don’t want to send it out, what advice would you be willing to accept?

I don’t own stock in Bob’s company and if I did, I’d insist he raise his prices. I’m just a satisfied customer who was able to get an avionics problem resolved for little money without taking it to an avionics shop. If legacy avionics are giving you a problem, Bob is your guy.

Daniel Thanks!

For decades I have worked with shops and end customers to troubleshoot and repair most any system over the phone. Up until a couple years ago, I was doing many of the repairs myself.

Today I have a far smarter component level repair guy that I work hand in hand with, as the airframe and flight guy. I feel this makes us a very effective and efficient avenue for sorting out even the simplest of issues. Having the component level repair experience gives me an advanced level of insight when doing system troubleshooting, this coupled with thousands of flights observing, certifying, and troubleshooting, rounds it out. Resolving a simple glideslope issue will be a piece of cake.

Thanks for the info. I just spoke to Bob Webber, and the summary of his suggestions is it most likely to be a defective indicator which is part of the HSI, of course that is expensive and time consuming to fix. Less likely to to be the radio, nav com itself and less likely to be the antennae. So I sure don't want to send the radio off for repair until we determine if that is at fault. I'll bet its the HSI, he says they are complicated and not as good as the KX155.

Mail it to a guy named Jeff from Sand Hills avionics in Carthage North Carolina is and he will fix it right

Thanks for the info. I just spoke to Bob Webber, and the summary of his suggestions is it most likely to be a defective indicator which is part of the HSI, of course that is expensive and time consuming to fix. Less likely to to be the radio, nav com itself and less likely to be the antennae. So I sure don't want to send the radio off for repair until we determine if that is at fault. I'll bet its the HSI, he says they are complicated and not as good as the KX155.

Bill there are checks that can be done to verify the offending component, that HSI is as old as that radio I would wager. There is a history of GS issues with the KI 525A, but there are also other possibilities as well. I always look at these issues with a voltmeter, it can save you a bundle!

Back