Need help with engine induction hose

N1783M

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
1783M
I have IO-470 upgrade in my Skylane. There is currently Scat hose, as the induction hose, connecting the air filter to the fuel injection system. There is no part made for this hose for this engine conversion. My mechanic flagged this and after doing some research, I tend to be concerned as well. Scat hose sold on aircraft Spruce's website states "do not use for a negative pressure application". I have also read about engine failures due to the collapse of Scat and skeet hoses being used as induction hoses. The STC calls for using parts for a engine from a Cessna 185 catalog. That hose is too short.

We have come up with two options:
Solution 1: Buy two induction hoses for the 185 engine and connect them together which will fit. The problem with the solution is about $1100 in cost for these two hoses.
Solution 2: use Scat hose. This has been on the engine since the upgrade into thousand and four without incident. Also, Todd Peterson, the STC holder, told me to use the scat hose. My concern is the potential for Scat hose collapsing in flight and causing the engine to fail.

Any opinions on these two or any other solution would be most welcome.

If the induction hose is part of the engine swap, then it was part of the approved STC. changing to anything but the parts called out for in the STC renders the aircraft un-airworthy.

bob

If the induction hose is part of the engine swap, then it was part of the approved STC. changing to anything but the parts called out for in the STC renders the aircraft un-airworthy.

bob

Isn't the aircraft airworthy if an owner produced port is used?

If the STC calls for the 185 hose but it's too short, then find out why it's too short and fix that. If you can't figure out why the 185 hose is too short, call the STC holder.

There is a hose called SCEET. It's SCAT with an inside lining. The wire in SCEET can't get away and cause trouble in the intake.

Use whatever the STC calls for, and install it per the STC.

If the engine is not installed IAW the STC, figure out where the deviation is and rectify it.

Thanks for all the help. I did order the hose from Guy at CSTbeech. He was extremely helpful and very fair and reasonable.

Back