kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Okay, here are more:

358) After departing from Byron Airport (C83) with a northeast wind, you discover you are approaching Livermore Class D airspace and flight visibility is approximately 2 1/2 miles. You must:
A) contact Livermore ATCT on 119.65 and advise of your intentions
B ) stay below 1200 feet to remain in Class G
C) stay below 700 feet to remain in Class G and land
(this is accompanied by a chart where Byron is a magenta airport surrounded by a fuzzy magenta Class E boundary)

It's definately not A... since 700 feet is the floor of the E, I'd think the answer would be C... but why must you land? Why can't you toodle around at 600 feet in Class G?

498) If an ATC transponder installed in an aircraft has not been tested, inspected, and found to comply with regulations within a specified period, what is the limitation on its use?
A) Its use is not permitted.
B ) It may be used when in Class G airspace.
C) It may be used for VFR flight only.

It must be A or C, I'm thinking... but I just don't know!

501) When weather information indicates the abnormally high barometric pressure exists, or will be above _____ inches of mercury, flight operations will not be authorized contrary to the requirements published in NOTAMs.
A) 30.50
B ) 31.00
C) 32.00

Where can one look this up?

507) Which is true regarding flight operations to or from a satellite airport, without an operating control tower, within the Class C airspace area?
A) Prior to takeoff, a pilot must establish communication with the ATC controlling facility.
B ) Aircraft must be equipped with an ATC transponder
C) Prior to entering that airspace, a pilot must establish and maintain communication with the ATC serving facility.

I'm thinking that the answer must be B, because you can take off and establish communication "as soon as possible after takeoff". Aren't A and C the same thing and therefore must not be the answer? :)

577) Pilots are not authorized to land an aircraft from an instrument approach unless the
A) flight visibility is at, or exceeds the visibility prescribed in the approach procedure being used
B ) flight visibility and ceiling are at, or exceeds the minimums prescribed in the approach procedure being used
C) visual approach slope indicator and runway references are distinctly visible to the pilot

Now, it can't be C because the runway may not have a VASI at all... you definately need the visibility but I don't remember anything in the FAR's about the ceiling. It's about whether you can see the "runway environment" before the DH. So is the answer A?

Coming soon: Part III.....

--Kath

Question #498

kath said:
498) If an ATC transponder installed in an aircraft has not been tested, inspected, and found to comply with regulations within a specified period, what is the limitation on its use?
A) Its use is not permitted.
B ) It may be used when in Class G airspace.
C) It may be used for VFR flight only.

It must be A or C, I'm thinking... but I just don't know!

Another teaching reply: 14 CFR 91.413.

Question #501

kath said:
501) When weather information indicates the abnormally high barometric pressure exists, or will be above _____ inches of mercury, flight operations will not be authorized contrary to the requirements published in NOTAMs.
A) 30.50
B ) 31.00
C) 32.00

14 CFR 91.144

ThankYouEd.jpg

kath said:
358) After departing from Byron Airport (C83) with a northeast wind, you discover you are approaching Livermore Class D airspace and flight visibility is approximately 2 1/2 miles. You must:
(this is accompanied by a chart where Byron is a magenta airport surrounded by a fuzzy magenta Class E boundary)
Never mind. I think I just figured this one out. If you're approaching Livermore, then you're in the "non-fuzzy-magenta" airspace, which is Class G up to 1200 (the "implicit fuzzy blue" which is never shown cuz it's everywhere), so the answer is B.

--Kath

kath said:

It's definately not A... since 700 feet is the floor of the E, I'd think the answer would be C... but why must you land? Why can't you toodle around at 600 feet in Class G?

kath said:
Never mind. I think I just figured this one out. If you're approaching Livermore, then you're in the "non-fuzzy-magenta" airspace, which is Class G up to 1200 (the "implicit fuzzy blue" which is never shown cuz it's everywhere), so the answer is B.

Actually, the question has you entering Class D airspace, which extends to the ground. The whole intent of this question is to probe whether or not the student knows that special VFR must be requested--it may not be offered by ATC.

A. is correct. "...state intentions..." refers to "...requesting special VFR..."
B. is incorrect. Livermore is Class D to the ground.
C. is incorrect. Livermore is Class D to the ground.

Ooops. Never mind, that isn't what this one is about. 119.65 is ATIS, not tower.

The Class E goes to 1200 feet here, so it must be answer B.

Last edited:
kath said:

It's definately not A...
Why not?

since 700 feet is the floor of the E,
The question asks about Class D, not Class E, airspace at Livermore. I'll give you three hints:

14 CFR 91.155(a) (see chart next to "Class D")
14 CFR 91.157
14 CFR 91.129(c)

A) 30.50
B ) 31.00
C) 32.00

In the FAR's. Since it's a flight rule, that means Part 91, Subpart B, and since it's not limited to either IFR or VFR, it's in the General section.

507) Which is true regarding flight operations to or from a satellite airport, without an operating control tower, within the Class C airspace area?
A) Prior to takeoff, a pilot must establish communication with the ATC controlling facility.
B ) Aircraft must be equipped with an ATC transponder
C) Prior to entering that airspace, a pilot must establish and maintain communication with the ATC serving facility.

I'm thinking that the answer must be B, because you can take off and establish communication "as soon as possible after takeoff". Aren't A and C the same thing and therefore must not be the answer? :)
How about looking in the rule for operating in Class C airspace (91.130)

577) Pilots are not authorized to land an aircraft from an instrument approach unless the
A) flight visibility is at, or exceeds the visibility prescribed in the approach procedure being used
B ) flight visibility and ceiling are at, or exceeds the minimums prescribed in the approach procedure being used
C) visual approach slope indicator and runway references are distinctly visible to the pilot

Now, it can't be C because the runway may not have a VASI at all... you definately need the visibility but I don't remember anything in the FAR's about the ceiling. It's about whether you can see the "runway environment" before the DH. So is the answer A?
Interesting that this IFR question is on the commercial test, but the answer lies in the rules covering landing under IFR -- 91.175.

This section of questions is all rules and regs -- that's the FAR's, and since it's flight rules, it's Part 91. Go forth and read some more.

[b said:
kath][/b]

It's definately not A...

Ron Levy said:

Well, for openers, Livermore tower is unlikely to answer a call on the ATIS frequency...Livermore tower frequency is 118.1.

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:

Well, for openers, Livermore tower is unlikely to answer a call on the ATIS frequency...Livermore tower frequency is 118.1.

So many potential red herrings in this question, but I can't quite sort them out. Answer B doesn't work, as the class E is down to 700 over Byron, go above and you bust on VFR minumums. Calling Livermore on any frequency doesn't help you unless you can stay under 700 until you enter the class D (SVFR is only valid in that controlling entities airspace, Livermore doesn't own the airspace over Byron.)

I thinnk what they are after is answer C, you get airborne, realize vis is not acceptable, you stay below the E, and get your butt on the ground.

Ed Guthrie said:
Ah, yes, well, that would be true. Didn't have the chart in front of me when answering...

Bill Jennings said:
So many potential red herrings in this question

Amen to that!

The question says you're "approaching Livermore's Class D", not "you're inside Livermore's Class D". I'm taking this to mean you are still outside Livermore. You can't enter Livermore because you'd be below VFR minimums, so why bother to call them up? Stay outside the D, definately. If you're near Livermore, then you're probably also outside of Byron's 700-foot Class E (although this is not clear from the question), so you're okay below 1200. My interpretation.

--Kath

Back