Need help with commercial written, Part I (long)

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hiya, O hallowed experts,

I downloaded all the questions for the commercial written, and have gone through the whole darn thing, and am stumped or confuzled on some of the questions. This is stuff that either:
--I couldn't find in the Gleim outlines
--I couldn't find in the FAR/AIM
--Just doesn't make any sense at all (or only makes sense to the FAA)

I'd appreciate any help or insight on these questions!

3) While holding the angle of bank constant in a level turn, if the rate of turn is varied the load factor would:
A) remain constant regardless of air density and the resultant lift vector
B ) vary depending on speed and air density provided the resultant lift vector varies proportionately
C) vary depending upon the resultant lift vector

Everything I've read suggests that they are looking for A), but my knowledge of physics suggests that both B ) and C) are true.

12) The need to slow an aircraft below VA is brought about by the following weather phenomenon:
A) High density altitude which increases the indicated stall speed
B ) Turbulence which causes an increase in stall speed
C) Turbulence which causes a decrease in stall speed

I'm pretty sure they're looking for B ) but since when did stall speed depend on anything other than angle of attack??

31) Which statemend best describes the operating principle of a constant-speed propeller?
A) As throttle setting is changed by the pilot, the prop governor causes pitch angle of the propeller blades to remain unchanged
B ) A high blade angle, or increased pitch, reduces the propeller drag and allows more engine power for takeoffs
C) The propeller control regulates the engine RPM, and in turn, the propeller RPM

I think it's B ) because you want the prop to take the "biggest bite" out of the air on takeoff (yes?), but I don't see how this reduces propeller drag.

43) Which is true regarding pilot certification requirements for operations in Class B airspace?
A) The pilot in command must hold at least a private pilot certificate with an instrument rating.
B ) The pilot in command must hold at least a private pilot certificate
C) Solo student pilot operations are not authorized.

None of these are true. A student pilot can fly in Class B if properly endorsed. What is the FAA looking for here?

59) The basic drive for a pilot to demonstrate the "right stuff" can have an adverse effect on safety, by
A) a total disregard for any alternative course of action
B ) generating tendancies that lead to practices that are dangerous, often illegal, and that may lead to a mishap
C) imposing a realistic assessment of piloting skills under stressful conditions

I'd say both A) and B ) . Which one?

152) The minimum flight visibility for VFR flight increases to 5 statute miles beginning at an altitude of
A) 14,500 feet MSL
B ) 10,000 feet MSL if above 1200 feet AGL
C) 10,000 feet MSL regardless of height above ground.

B ) is true for class G airspace. C) is true for class E airspace. What to do?

233) While flying cross-country, in the Northern Hemisphere, you experience a continuous left crosswind which is associated with a major wind system. This indicates that you
A) are flying toward an area of generally unfavorable weather conditions
B ) have flown from an area of unfavorable weather conditions
C) cannot determine weather conditions without knowing pressure changes

I'm guessing here that the question is meant to get you thinking about Coriolis forces and pressure systems... with a wind from the left you could be flying towards a Low or away from a High. So I think the answer is C) but the wording is confusing.

247) Fog produced by frontal activity is a result of saturation due to
A) nocturnal cooling
B ) adiabatic cooling
C) evaporation of precipitation

Can't find the answer to this anywhere... but I think that if it's frontal activity, that means precipitation, and so the answer is C). Any enlightening thoughts?

290) In small airplanes, normal recovery from spins may become difficult if the
A) CG is too far rearward, and rotation is around the longitudinal axis
B ) CG is too far rearward, and rotation is around the CG
C) spin is entered before the stall is fully developed

It's gotta be either A) or B ) but I don't get the bit about rotation. In a spin, you will rotate about the CG, no? What does rotation about the longitudinal axis have to do with anything?

Well, that's all of 'em for now. I've got more question marks scribbled on the test... but my fingers are tired. Part II later....

--Kath

P.S. Edit: This thing turned all the instances of the letter "B" followed by a parenthesis into a sunglass-cool emoticon face! B) Sorry about that. Don't know how to get rid of it.
P.P.S Edit2 fixed now?

Last edited:
Ok, I'm in the same boat as you so here's my take:

3) While holding the angle of bank constant in a level turn, if the rate of turn is varied the load factor would:
B) vary depending on speed and air density provided the resultant lift vector varies proportionately

Always hated this question, because I agree with your assessment on it.

12) The need to slow an aircraft below VA is brought about by the following weather phenomenon:
A) High density altitude which increases the indicated stall speed
B) Turbulence which causes an increase in stall speed
C) Turbulence which causes a decrease in stall speed

I think it's actually C. Has to do with AOA. With a lower stall speed (lighter) the AOA is less to hold level flight. If the plane at gross needs an AOA of 5 degrees to maintain S/L and it stalls at 15, the load factor is 3 before it stalls. Being lighter (decrease in stall speed) it only needs an AOA of 3 to maintain S/L. It still stalls at 15. So the load factor becomes 5 before it stalls. Oops, part 23 are certified for 3.8g. Worded badly, but that's what I get out of it.

31) Which statemend best describes the operating principle of a constant-speed propeller?
A) As throttle setting is changed by the pilot, the prop governor causes pitch angle of the propeller blades to remain unchanged
B) A high blade angle, or increased pitch, reduces the propeller drag and allows more engine power for takeoffs
C) The propeller control regulates the engine RPM, and in turn, the propeller RPM

I'm pretty sure it is C. I got this one rong a few times. A high blade angle means more bite and less RPM for max MP. Think cruise prop.

43) Which is true regarding pilot certification requirements for operations in Class B airspace?
A) The pilot in command must hold at least a private pilot certificate with an instrument rating.
B) The pilot in command must hold at least a private pilot certificate

They are looking for B. I agree, it is a horribly worded question.

59) The basic drive for a pilot to demonstrate the "right stuff" can have an adverse effect on safety, by
B) generating tendancies that lead to practices that are dangerous, often illegal, and that may lead to a mishap
C) imposing a realistic assessment of piloting skills under stressful conditions

I always said B. I never liked the "haz attitude" questions because of the way the worded them.

152) The minimum flight visibility for VFR flight increases to 5 statute miles beginning at an altitude of
A) 14,500 feet MSL
B) 10,000 feet MSL if above 1200 feet AGL

I answer B.

233) While flying cross-country, in the Northern Hemisphere, you experience a continuous left crosswind which is associated with a major wind system. This indicates that you
B) have flown from an area of unfavorable weather conditions

Left crosswind means you are flying towards a low pressure center, or away from a high. It's A. :) go ahead and draw a low (cyclonic) system, and put the plane in a position where you get a left crosswind. Where's it pointed? Same with the H.

A) nocturnal cooling
B) adiabatic cooling

Can't find the answer to this anywhere... but I think that if it's frontal activity, that means precipitation, and so the answer is C). Any enlightening thoughts?

It is C. Precipitation fog. Nocturnal and adiabatic aren't associated with fronts. Rain can be. :)

290) In small airplanes, no
rmal recovery from spins may become difficult if the
B) CG is too far rearward, and rotation is around the CG

It's gotta be either A) or B) but I don't get the bit about rotation. In a spin, you will rotate about the CG, no? What does rotation about the longitudinal axis have to do with anything?

It is B. Longitudinal axis runs from nose to tail. If you spun around the L.A. you would be in a roll. Although, rereading the question, a rolling stall might indeed be more difficult!!!

CFI's feel free to tell me where I am wrong.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
B) A high blade angle, or increased pitch, reduces the propeller drag and allows more engine power for takeoffs

I'm pretty sure it is C. I got this one rong a few times. A high blade angle means more bite and less RPM for max MP. Think cruise prop.
I'm pretty sure it's not C, because the engine RPM is the not the same as the propeller RPM. It is for a fixed-pitch propeller. Or am I hallucinating?

N2212R said:
B) have flown from an area of unfavorable weather conditions

Left crosswind means you are flying towards a low pressure center, or away from a high. It's A. :) go ahead and draw a low (cyclonic) system, and put the plane in a position where you get a left crosswind. Where's it pointed? Same with the H.
Is the idea, then, that heading "into a low" or "away from a high" are both unfavorable weather conditions?

--Kath

Question #3

kath said:
B ) vary depending on speed and air density provided the resultant lift vector varies proportionately

Everything I've read suggests that they are looking for A), but my knowledge of physics suggests that both B ) and C) are true.

Note: I'll hit these one at a time since I may get called away.

Question #3:

Key is constant angle of bank (given in statement of problem).

A. is the correct answer;
B. is incorrect. If the angle of bank is constant (given) and the aircraft weight is constant (fact of life) then the vertical component of lift is constant and the lift component must also be constant. Think about the vector diagram. All angles are fixed (bank angle is constant, second angle is 90 degrees, which leaves only one possible answer for the remaining angle); vertical vector is fixed (weight is constant); we are out of variables. BTW, this is why the rate of turn will vary with the speed for a given bank angle.
C. is incorrect. The lift vector will not vary (see explanation for B.).

Last edited:
Question #31

kath said:
B ) A high blade angle, or increased pitch, reduces the propeller drag and allows more engine power for takeoffs

I think it's B ) because you want the prop to take the "biggest bite" out of the air on takeoff (yes?), but I don't see how this reduces propeller drag.

A. is incorrect--this is a fixed pitch prop description.
B. is incorrect--at take-off the prop pitch is reduced (high RPM), not increased
C. is correct. The prop control causes the prop governor to increase/decrease the prop blade pitch so as to maintain constant engine (and prop) RPM.

Question #233

kath said:
B ) have flown from an area of unfavorable weather conditions

I'm guessing here that the question is meant to get you thinking about Coriolis forces and pressure systems... with a wind from the left you could be flying towards a Low or away from a High. So I think the answer is C) but the wording is confusing.

A. Is correct. "unfavorable weather conditions" implies a low. In the northern hemisphere the flow around a low is counter-clockwise. If you point your nose at a low, the wind will be from your left (flowing counter-clockwise around a point ahead of the aircraft).
B. Is incorrect. If you point your nose away from a low the wind will be from your right (flowing counter-clockwise around a point behind the aircraft).
C. Is incorrect. Not explanations to A. & B., obviously you don't need to know the pressure changes.

Question #247

kath said:
A) nocturnal cooling
B ) adiabatic cooling

A. incorrect. The description is for radiation fog.
B. incorrect. The description is for advection fog.
C. correct. Your explanation covered it nicely.

Question #290

kath said:
290) In small airplanes, normal recovery from spins may become difficult if the
B ) CG is too far rearward, and rotation is around the CG

It's gotta be either A) or B ) but I don't get the bit about rotation. In a spin, you will rotate about the CG, no? What does rotation about the longitudinal axis have to do with anything?

This one you get a teaching reply:

Which axis is the longitudinal axis? What would the manuever be called if the aircraft were actually rotating about the longitudinal axis?

Re: Question #233

An old farmer's rule of thumb is with the wind at your back the Low is to your Left, the High is to your rigHt.

Ed Guthrie said:
A. Is correct. "unfavorable weather conditions" implies a low. In the northern hemisphere the flow around a low is counter-clockwise. If you point your nose at a low, the wind will be from your left (flowing counter-clockwise around a point ahead of the aircraft).
B. Is incorrect. If you point your nose away from a low the wind will be from your right (flowing counter-clockwise around a point behind the aircraft).
C. Is incorrect. Not explanations to A. & B., obviously you don't need to know the pressure changes.

Re: Question #290

Ed Guthrie said:
Which axis is the longitudinal axis? What would the manuever be called if the aircraft were actually rotating about the longitudinal axis?
If you were in a spin, and also rotating about the longitudinal axis, then you are also in a spin and also a roll. I believe that's a maneuver called "AAAAAAAAAAAAA OH MY GOD!!!"

--Kath

Question #59

kath said:
B ) generating tendancies that lead to practices that are dangerous, often illegal, and that may lead to a mishap

I'd say both A) and B ) . Which one?

This is one of those times when it helps to have text search capability for all FAA handbooks, documents, etc. The FAA is notorious for pulling these questions and answers directly from FAA texts. Searching for "right stuff" as a phrase there are two hits (both falling within the same text area):

OPERATIONAL PITFALLS
There are a number of classic behavioral traps into which pilots have been known to fall. Pilots, particularly those with considerable experience, as a rule always try to complete a flight as planned, please passengers, meet schedules, and generally demonstrate that they have the right stuff. The basic drive to demonstrate the right stuff can have an adverse effect on safety, and can impose an unrealistic assessment of piloting skills under stressful conditions. These tendencies ultimately may bring about practices that are dangerous and often illegal, and may lead to a mishap.

Source: "Aviation Instructor's Handbook", FAA-H-8083-9, Chapter 9

A. is incorrect. A pilot with a "right stuff" attitude might look at equally bad alternatives.
B. is correct.
C. is incorrect. The statement as given is the reverse of what is stated within the same FAA referenced text.

Last edited:
Question #43

kath said:
B ) The pilot in command must hold at least a private pilot certificate

None of these are true. A student pilot can fly in Class B if properly endorsed. What is the FAA looking for here?

Some of the FAA questions are just poorly worded. This question is one of those question and answer wording straight from some FAA publication, in this case 14 CFR 91.131(b). It doesn't have to be perfect, just go with the simplistic FAA flow and grab answer B.

Question #152

kath said:
A) 14,500 feet MSL
B ) 10,000 feet MSL if above 1200 feet AGL

B ) is true for class G airspace. C) is true for class E airspace. What to do?

Another bad FAA question. It would be a rare Class E that went to the ground (or even to 700') at or above 10,000'; IOW, since most Class E begins at 1200' AGL answer B. is the most correct of the three choices.

Re: Question #59

Ed Guthrie said:
This is one of those times when it helps to have text search capability for all FAA handbooks, documents, etc. The FAA is notorious for pulling these questions and answers directly from FAA texts.
It might be just me, but these kinds of psychology questions always rub me the wrong way when I see them on a multiple choice test. :dunno:

Ooops, that's probably a bad attitude. :rolleyes:

Re: Question #31

Ed Guthrie said:
C. is correct. The prop control causes the prop governor to increase/decrease the prop blade pitch so as to maintain constant engine (and prop) RPM.

Man, can the FAA possibly word these any worse? Their wording:

test on how to interpret FAA question wording said:

Makes it sound like the engine, not the prop governor, is the causal element in the system.

Pay $50 for the Gleim test prep CD. Answers all your questions with explanations.

Or buy GroundSchool from Dauntless-Soft.com for only $30, get it delivered online *and* they update it constantly. I used them for my Private, Instrument and Commercial ratings. Their product includes the same unreadable charts that the FAA uses. :)

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Back