Need help with college project

kc4wsd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kc4wsd
OK . . . technically, it's not my college project.

My eighteen-year-old son has his private pilot's license, and is in his second year of a college aviation program. I've been "lurking" via the Tapatalk app for several weeks, and thought I'd see if someone here had a suggestion.

His project is to "build" an aircraft. Since his flying experience has been in one basic plane, he wanted to build a model of a Cessna 172, from scratch. Of course, that means that I will be doing the majority of the work. :)

After further consideration, he has purchased a Revell model of a B-17G Flying Fortress. I'm not sure that his instructor will allow that.

In the event that we have to return to Plan A, please provide any input (here, or by private message) that you feel will be helpful. If there is a better location to post this, please point me in that direction, and forgive my ignorance.

Probably an RC model forum would offer more valuable advice, not that it isn't a welcome topic here.

By "scratch" do you mean not from an RC balsa wood model kit? I'm sure a plan set with templates can be had through online hobby stores, as well as the raw materials.

Ouch. Quite an ordeal.

I've got access to a LOT of plans, but has he (or have you) ever done a scratch built before? This is not a small undertaking. Well, I guess you could call it a small undertaking when compared to building full scale, but that's about it.

I can help out and give you resources. Help with some plans. Guide on materials, etc. But the amount of builders who are still doing scratch built planes is dwindling.

There are so many kits out there now, and especially the ARF's (almost ready to fly) that you have to want to put the artistic time into it, and have the passion for it.

I'll post some photos of some scratch builts here in a moment...

Well here are some examples in the attached photos.

A few scratch builts. These took 2-4 years. Stack of plans, and a set of plans unrolled.

I'm happy to help...I've got lots of resources, and it's a lot of fun if you really want to do it.

AMA is a great resource, and there are a lot of clubs out there also.

Attachments

• IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2689.JPG
    IMG_2689.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
Knowing this is a bit silly, but do you have access to a 3D printer?

Thanks for all the replies, so far.

In response, let me say that the aircraft does NOT have to be from "scratch," as I was first led to believe.

Sac Arrow, the store-bought model will be accepted by the instructor . . . however . . . this is a very competitive young man, who wants to excel. He wants the best looking project, and the best possible grade.

Now, having said that, I should point out that the project is due in four weeks, and *someone* hasn't started yet.

With that said, I guess TheTraveler is suggesting something above my pay grade. :)

Those are impressive planes, and I wish we had time, because I'd really like to build something like that!

murphey that's not a silly question, but unfortunately I don't have access to a 3D printer.

Finally, if anyone has an suggestions that will help a basic model really "pop," and be impressive, that may be what we have to do considering the time constraints.

I'm sure a plan set with templates can be had through online hobby stores, as well as the raw materials.

I've seen kits at several aviation museums.

Hiller even has some very old ones, for sale quite cheap. But they were balsa kids toys, not serious models.

To the OP, this would be a good time to discuss scoping and prioritizing the project. Big teachable moment.

Thanks for the follow-up, and happy to help.

What you are going to like...there are kits available out there that are pre-cut. They are called ARF's (almost ready to fly). They range in scale size, come in a big box, and you're going to get a lot of wooden parts. However, the wooden parts are all laser cut, and some basic materials (glue, exacto knives, etc) will get you moving in no time. But follow the directions step by step, and be ready to trim edges, even if the parts are cut already.

What you aren't going to like...most of them are made in China, Taiwan, or Korea now.

To make it "pop", you can customize. That's really the difference is the outside finished details, if you're not going to fly it. Coverings, colors, trimming, and attention to detail on a higher level than the kit comes prepared.

However, I should caution that four weeks is pretty tight. Even for someone with experience, an ARF well done should take minimum a few months, moving at an every day, steady speed.

Check out www.towerhobbies.com. It's a reputable, well known company.

Don't hesitate to PM or post with any questions, I'll be happy to assist.

Guillows makes some really cool small scale balsa wood kits that can be made in a few days if you go balls to the walls. They are cheap and can even be powered by rubber bands or Cox 0.10 engines. Problem is I don't think they have a 172 kit.

I have several kits of the 1903 Wright Flyer gotten at the Centennial Celebration at Kitty Hawk. There are about a thousand pieces to be assembled, all precut. Rice paper covering is included.

Finally, if anyone has an suggestions that will help a basic model really "pop," and be impressive, that may be what we have to do considering the time constraints.

Had a similar situation with my son a few years back, here is my advice after going to modeling forums and researching back then:

Remember that it will only be looked at for a relatively brief period of time by others. Concentrate on a good exterior finish: Smooth seams and a quick coat of paint, nothing fancy, all olive drab (time permitting, olive over gray), let the decals dress it up. If the decals from the kit are lacking, go find a nice set of aftermarket ones not made in the USA. Time permitting, and depending on how it will be ultimately presented, make a diorama with ground crew and equipment, something representative of say the 91st BG at Bassingbourn, UK.

however . . . this is a very competitive young man, who wants to excel. He wants the best looking project, and the best possible grade.

Something is really wrong here.

He's not competitive if he's making you do the work and the research.

He's an adult. It's time to stop doing his homework for him. If he wants it to be amazing, he needs to make it amazing. Himself, with his time, his research, his skills, his time management, and so on.

Ok, I have to ask this:

His project is to "build" an aircraft. Since his flying experience has been in one basic plane, he wanted to build a model of a Cessna 172, from scratch. Of course, that means that I will be doing the majority of the work. :)

WHY???
I thought it was HIS project?

Ok, I have to ask this:

WHY???
I thought it was HIS project?

Agreed.

I do think his instructor must work in IT though. I received this for a design doc yesterday for a new system at work...

"I need a new server. It needs PHP. It's for a new application that'll talk to [insert internal system name here]."

"Build an airplane", indeed. Bad spec, bad outcome.

Dude, I think my dad stopped helping me with my projects in 5th grade. Time to let the kid get his own grades; he's in college after all!

There's nothing competitive about having your dad make a model airplane for you.

Dude, I think my dad stopped helping me with my projects in 5th grade. Time to let the kid get his own grades; he's in college after all!

There's nothing competitive about having your dad make a model airplane for you.

Things have changed, my friend. Nowadays they still applaud them for going to the potty by themselves -- when they're 17.

Rich

I built the revelle B-17 when I was a teenager. Is not hard but it also depends on if you want to just put the stickers on it or go all out with paint. I like the idea of building a diorama with ammo and a clip of the runway. All the supplies for that is easily found at Hobby Lobby or other hobby store. Maybe a trip to an aviation museum would spark some ideas and enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Back