Need help with airplane identification...

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
...and this is the place to ask!

What kind of airplane is this? It's at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson. Thanks!DSC_7573.jpg

Howard Hughes owned an S-43. Remember the scene in the movie The Aviator, in which Howard (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Katherine Hepburn fly over the Hollywood Hills, whispering sweet nothings to each other while "Moonglow" plays softly in the background? It was a CGI S-38 in the movie, but it was supposed to represent his S-43. But with those R-1690s and prop tips just inches from the cabin roof, I doubt it would have been as quiet as the movie depicted. Kermit Weeks owns Hughes' S-43 now, and has it at his Fantasy of Flight Museum in Florida.

Howard Hughes owned an S-43. Remember the scene in the movie The Aviator, in which Howard (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Katherine Hepburn fly over the Hollywood Hills, whispering sweet nothings to each other while "Moonglow" plays softly in the background? It was a CGI S-38 in the movie, but it was supposed to represent his S-43. But with those R-1690s and prop tips just inches from the cabin roof, I doubt it would have been as quiet as the movie depicted. Kermit Weeks owns Hughes' S-43 now, and has it at his Fantasy of Flight Museum in Florida.

Hughes crashed his S-43 into Lake Mead in 1943, later pulling it out of the water and restoring it. Overall, there were 9 crashes of the type out of 53 built.

You're not alone! But this was the last I'll ever click on anything from Ryan with a B!:mad2: :mad3:
Never say never. Next time it could be a link to a Hooters girl, but you’ll miss out I guess...:dunno:

Back