Need help to do a 337 for an AFMS for a KLN94 for IFR

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
Hi All,

I have a KLN94 in my N-reg TB20 and the present KLN94 AFMS (done by Socata in France) does not allow GPS approaches. It allows only IFR enroute. Back then, 2002, when I bought the airplane new, there were no GPS approaches in Europe and Socata didn't bother...

On most/all TB20s sold in the USA, the Socata factory outlet (Florida) prepared a proper AFMS which permitted the standard set of full IFR ops as per the KLN94 Installation Manual, in the back of which is an easy to use specimen AFMS.

I am now finally getting around to getting the unrestricted AFMS, but need help with completing the 337 which will go to the FSDO.

I have done a 337 before, for an installation of a Sandel SN3500 EHSI where I designed all the avionics interconnections (pretty easy) but that was a vastly bigger project. I got help from a very nice chap who was an expert with FAA stuff but is no longer on the scene, and I am a bit stuck.

What I am doing now is a 100% paperwork exercise. The present installation meets BRNAV, and BRNAV corresponds to AC20-138 (the basic standard for avionics for GPS approaches), I have Socata and DGAC letters confirming the aircraft met FAA requirements when I got it, and of course I have the Honeywell installation manual with the specimen AFMS and all that is already FAA approved. I also have a copy of an FAA approved KLN94 AFMS for a Baron 55, and a copy of a German CAA (DFS) approved AFMS for an unspecified airplane. I also have the flight test data showing lack of VHF interference and 3 satis GPS approaches flown. The KLN94 was factory installed and is on the FAA Type Certificate for the TB20. So.... I have supporting documents for the 337 coming out of my ears.

I have tried to obtain a copy of an old 337 from Socata USA but they are under orders to not support any European pilots (strange politics, caused by European pilots trying to bypass overpriced European parts dealers :) ) and don't reply to any communications.

Would anybody have a 337 for this type of job, where one is merely submitting a customised AFMS, based on a template straight out of the IM, and there is nothing to do on the airplane itself?

Many thanks in advance.

I've done it for an up gross on a 182, just a 337 for an STC and a FMS. Just filled it out, signed the appropriate blocks and sent it off.

Be sure to say exactly what you did and why it's approved on page 2.

In this case there is no STC for the TB20, so I need to supply other types of Approved Data.

There is an STC for various Beech models (3A16) so, AIUI, one can refer to the contents of that STC but not its number. I will just send the FAA a CD with the whole installation manual which has this in the back of it.

Looks to me like you already have collected the data you need.

What words should I put in Box 8?

On most/all TB20s sold in the USA, the Socata factory outlet (Florida) prepared a proper AFMS which permitted the standard set of full IFR ops as per the KLN94 Installation Manual, in the back of which is an easy to use specimen AFMS.
Many thanks in advance.

IF these folks are still in business, they need to step up and provide the documentation to satisfy the FAA.

This should not be done on a 337. Because it should have been completed as a portion of certification.

Exactly what you did and the reason it's approved, much like your OP.

IF these folks are still in business, they need to step up and provide the documentation to satisfy the FAA.

This should not be done on a 337. Because it should have been completed as a portion of certification.
They are in business (selling TBMs) but they won't provide a copy of the 337s they filed for a large number of airplanes.

The FAA TC under which the TB20 was sold in the USA never had an approach approved AFMS for the GPS. That AFMS was done after shipment of the airplane to the USA, I suspect for customers who asked for it. Not all did get it; I know some US based TB owners who don't have any AFMS for their GPS. Socata France was never involved in this, AFAIK.

There are two POHs. One is DGAC (now EASA) approved, and the other is FAA approved. I have both, with the latter now valid. But both have the same GPS AFMS, not authorising approaches.

Exactly what you did and the reason it's approved, much like your OP.
Can it be written in plain English?

The other 337 had to be worded in an apparently precise way, referencing all avionics to which the EHSI was interfaced. I can do that too...

It has the following headings:

Description of work accomplished
Instructions for Continued Airworthiness for Major Alterations

and about 100 lines under each one.

Last edited:
I have a copy of the 337 and my AFM for an 89B in a Cherokee if that would help. My installer went about 4 rounds with the FSDO getting all the i until they approved it.

That would really help - many thanks. My email is peter (a t ) peter2000.co.uk.

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Over the past few years I tried it 3 times with 3 avionics shops here. All said they would do it for £500 ($800 or so).

Shop #1 didn't do anything but phoned up the UK FAA office, which told him that they would be happy with the DGAC BRNAV-only AFMS, for flying approaches. But would not put it in writing.

Shop #2 spent a number of days on it, only to discover that the FSDO responsible for Europe (the NY IFU) stopped doing 337 processing several years before, and they gave him some nonsense that it can't be done without an STC (they gave me more bull on the Sandel 337, saying e.g. that an EHSI is an EFIS and must have an STC).

Shop #3 is known to be capable of it but they got busy on other stuff and left it...

So now I am having a go myself, with an A&P/IA I know :)

It will be about 3hours before I make it home to scan it in. I'll send it shortly.

Would you shoot me that also. It may come in handy if I find someone to do my Arrow at "trailer rates". Send it to whatever at <my username> dot us.

Thanks

They are in business (selling TBMs) but they won't provide a copy of the 337s they filed for a large number of airplanes.

The FAA TC under which the TB20 was sold in the USA never had an approach approved AFMS for the GPS. That AFMS was done after shipment of the airplane to the USA, I suspect for customers who asked for it. Not all did get it; I know some US based TB owners who don't have any AFMS for their GPS. Socata France was never involved in this, AFAIK.

There are two POHs. One is DGAC (now EASA) approved, and the other is FAA approved. I have both, with the latter now valid. But both have the same GPS AFMS, not authorising approaches.

Can it be written in plain English?

The other 337 had to be worded in an apparently precise way, referencing all avionics to which the EHSI was interfaced. I can do that too...

It has the following headings:

Description of work accomplished
Instructions for Continued Airworthiness for Major Alterations

and about 100 lines under each one.

Plane English should suffice but you could try to aircraft it up, did this in accordance with this type of thing

Why not get a copy of the records for a US imported
Airplane and copy that. FAA.gov, $10.00 for a CD of said records,
A week and it's in your mailbox. You just need a N-number.
Dave

That's a good point. I didn't know you could do it for somebody else's aircraft.

It does however assume that the 337 that aircraft got was a genuine one. A lot of 337s are just written out and never sent to the FAA - for approval, or for AFS-750 filing.

I did ask several US-based pilots who I believed should have such an AFMS, but none of them came up with the goods.

Actually I did get hold of one such AFMS, from the USA, but lent it to a man at avionics shop #4 (forgot to mention that one in my above list :) ) but before he managed to do anything with it, he left that shop and went to work for shop #3 :) And the AFMS disappeared and stupidly I had not made a copy... it would have been handy indeed because it was the exact one, for the exact aircraft. But I don't think it's an issue in this case because the Honeywell sample AFMS ought to suffice.

You guys should have an email from me with a link to the PDF containing the continued airworthiness instructions, 337 and AFMS

Job done - in case this helps anybody :)

Many thanks to all for your input.

Back