Need Help Finding A Used ATV

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
I want to switch from using the old lawn tractor to an ATV for plane tug and snow removal duties. I'm looking for the kind more like a rancher or farmer would use, not the type for racing. Getting a bit more specific:

4wd (not 2wd)
Winch & plow supported
4 stroke
500cc should be plenty
Power steering
Electric start
My 12yo daughter will be using it.
Under $2000, max $2500

...any recommendations?

Yeah looking at CL...but have zero clue on what are good models and bad models?

I would guess Honda to have the better/best engine. Beyond that totally new territory for me!

you should have started your thread "thinking about a ATV..." That seems to be the boilerplate way to start one of these...

Hydrostatic Kubota 1150 is my farm work horse. 3 cyl diesel , 4wd ,locking differential, hydraulic bed hoist . Good solid durable piece of equipment Top speed 20 on the flat 29 down hill.
I never thought I would pay that much money for a rig when a good used 4x4 pickup cost less $

I have a Polaris Sportsman 800. Mine doesn't have power steering, but the nice thing about Polaris is their CVT system that doesn't require shifting. I know newer ones have PS, but don't know if that goes down to the 500 models or not.

Hydrostatic Kubota 1150 is my farm work horse. 3 cyl diesel , 4wd ,locking differential, hydraulic bed hoist . Good solid durable piece of equipment Top speed 20 on the flat 29 down hill.
I never thought I would pay that much money for a rig when a good used 4x4 pickup cost less $
Yeah, a bit more versatile than an ATV as well. We had a nice late 80s Kubota B7200HST that we got for around $4K which was 4WD 16HP, with a 3-point and a mid-mount mower. Good enough for 4' box blade work, mowing, snow plow, etc. No shifting, easy to start, just about bulletproof. No power steering but it wasn't needed.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that Facebook Marketplace has all but replaced Craigslist, so you'll likely find a broader selection of ATVs (or tractors) there.

Thanks for all the advice! I have sworn off facebook for over a year now but between our home owners group and the Marketplace that was just mentioned I think I need log back in :(

A CVT vs manual is a interesting topic. I've ridden dirt bikes and street bikes for years. That said a CVT/automatic on a 4wd ATV would be fine with me these days. However, I kinda want a manual so my daughter can learn it.

Maybe power steering would be good but not needed. For tug purposes it will be a lot of turn wheels on pavement so that was the power steering thinking.

My original thoughts where Honda, Yamaha, Polaris.

4wd (not 2wd) Is selectable from 2WD to 4WD
Winch & plow supported (plow included)
4 stroke and EFI
CV transmission
500cc
Power steering
Electric start
Tandem 2 seater
Under $2000, max $2500

Well, I almost have what you want....

4wd (not 2wd) Is selectable from 2WD to 4WD
Winch & plow supported (plow included)
4 stroke and EFI
CV transmission
500cc
Power steering
Electric start
Tandem 2 seater
Under $2000, max $2500

Well, I almost have what you want....
What do you have!

I have an older 2004 Can-Am by Bombardier. My youngest son who lives in NoDamnWhere Alaska owns two Can-Ams, one with a plow and absolutely swears by them for their reliability. Gotta admit, his are pretty nice but then for him, they are a tool and not a toy. My 2004 has a factory winch, 2/ 4wd (hi and low), liquid cooled and a hitch. Bought it used for $3K when it had 1200 miles. So they are around. And yes you can put a snow plow on it. Honda, Yamaha, Polaris and Can-Am are all good brands. Just stay away from the cheep knock-offs.

What do you have!

Polaris. Dogged if I can remember what year it is.

It has a winch, plow and garden dump trailer along with a rifle carrier, tote box that mounts on the rear.

I might be selling all as a package deal if I make the move to Wyoming this summer.

Only problem I won't be selling it at your requested price range.

Back