Need ferry pilot for Cessna tailwheel plane

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
ISO ferry pilot services to reposition my USA-registered 1955 Cessna 170B, from Fort St John, BC (CYXJ) to a yet-to-be-determined location in USA. Flight to take place in October or early November. Aircraft is equipped for /U but due to expiration of required checks is legal for VFR only. Is out of annual by six months so will be flying under a special flight permit. There are daily commercial flights through Edmonton/Calgary or Vancouver. Please contact me for more details, and third party recommendations are always appreciated. Cessna tailwheel time is a must.

Please do not PM, but the email link in my profile works. Thanks!

I have Cessna time and tailwheel time, but no Cessna tailwheel time.

I have 300 hours of Cessna 170 time, but timing of the project doesn't work out.:no:

ISO ferry pilot services to reposition my USA-registered 1955 Cessna 170B, from Fort St John, BC (CYXJ) to a yet-to-be-determined location in USA. Flight to take place in October or early November. Aircraft is equipped for /U but due to expiration of required checks is legal for VFR only. Is out of annual by six months so will be flying under a special flight permit. There are daily commercial flights through Edmonton/Calgary or Vancouver. Please contact me for more details, and third party recommendations are always appreciated. Cessna tailwheel time is a must.

Please do not PM, but the email link in my profile works. Thanks!

Answers to "Lucky":rofl:

I have 300 hours of Cessna 170 time, but timing of the project doesn't work out.:no:

Weather wise this is not a great time of year to be planning such a flight in a non-FIKI airplane. The PNW "ice witch" could make for some serious delays or problems. :yikes:

Weather wise this is not a great time of year to be planning such a flight in a non-FIKI airplane. The PNW "ice witch" could make for some serious delays or problems. :yikes:

Some of the best time to fly is the late fall.

Richard want to me to do it again?

call.

Answers to "Lucky":rofl:

Pretty sure my plane won't fall out of the sky if the IFR pitot static certifications are 30 months old ;) I've maintained the basic legal IFR capability of the airplane for most of my time with her even if I haven't myself remained current.

The airplane is out of annual because generally only a FAA IA may approve an annual inspection on a N registered aircraft. It's been in the care of a Canadian-equivalent mechanic-inspector since last winter when I was forced by circumstance to leave her and I was caught by the annual calendar, unfortunately. It'll be looked over before departure.

Last edited:
Pretty sure my plane won't fall out of the sky if the pitot static checks are 30 months old.
On the 170 they are very easy to check to see if they are with in limits.

set the altimeter to the baro, then compare the altimeter to field altitude. If it is with in 250' you are good to go.

That's a good old bird, she'll fly great.

The airplane is out of annual because generally only a FAA IA may approve an annual inspection on a N registered aircraft. It's been in the care of a Canadian-equivalent mechanic-inspector since last winter when I was forced by circumstance to leave her and I was caught by the annual calendar, unfortunately. It'll be looked over before departure.

How will that work. Will the plane need both a canadian and a FAA special flight permit ? Can a canadian mechanic sign off a FAA ferry permit ?

How will that work. Will the plane need both a canadian and a FAA special flight permit ? Can a canadian mechanic sign off a FAA ferry permit ?
(no) .. to both questions, If it legal here it is up there because the aircraft is a US registered a A&P must sign off the ferry permit, and who would do that with out looking at it?

The best guy for the job is an A&P-IA with 170 flight time..
Do the annual, and fly it home.

Just so happens I know a guy.:)

Last edited:
I've got time in those, but don't think I want to pick that job up at the current time.

Ryan

I might be missing it completely, but I cant find your email in your profile...and you said you dont want PM's. Mind PMing it to me or posting it here?

I might be missing it completely, but I cant find your email in your profile...and you said you dont want PM's. Mind PMing it to me or posting it here?
Click on his user name and a menu pops up. Click on the "send an email" link to open that box.

Click on his user name and a menu pops up. Click on the "send an email" link to open that box.

Huh...I did that about an hour ago and nothing popped up for contact, as well in his profile under the contacts tab. But i just tried again and it did in fact pop up...so either it changed, or an error maybe?

Thanks either way.

Hauling from BC to an 'unknown location' sounds dangerous!!!! Count me in!

Thanks everyone I'm on hold as I work through some of the international issues but several people responded and I have your info.

I have Cessna tailwheel time. And a new job. They would frown upon me taking off for this adventure, as much as I would like to go.

Back