Need electric tow

Pa28-140

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon Shumway
Has anybody got an electric tow machine that they want to sell or can anybody recommend a good place to get a good unit? It would have to be able to move a Cirrus SR22 in and out of the hangar on relatively flat ground.

While I'm at it, can any of you offer a PIREP good or bad on different brands and products? Thanks!

Three votes for the powertow. You might be able to find a used one. Another option is a used golf cart and add a trailer hitch.

I'll throw vote number four for PowerTow.

Ours had some welds cracking, and the owner talking on the phone seemed to indicate that he knew the old design was a little flimsy there. They offered to sell a "kit" which was basically "remove your engine and transmission and drop it on this new frame" for a significant discount.

We instead found a local welder who easily patched up the thing and added structural braces.

Look for cracks where the arms meet the flat deck the motor sits atop. Note there's no diagonal bracing to keep the square arm tube from breaking off the square flat tube. The only thing holding the arm together there is the weld between the two square tube sections.

That's the stress point that will fail, if you're looking at older ones that don't have a diagonal brace or added flat plate for strength there.

Newer ones have diagonal braces across the corners of the "box" that's the flat platform the engine sits on, and added material at the "angle" part of the arms, apparently.

Our welder also didn't like that there was no fore/aft bracing underneath the flat "box", so he added a vertical piece of metal from front to rear off-set so it wouldn't get caught up in the belt. He was going to add a bunch more braces but we told him "it only gets used a couple times a week, man... don't go crazy! :) ).

Some one mentioned using an old golfcart. A ZTR mower makes a great tug, especially for pushing a plane. You can control the direction of the planes front wheel without forward or backward motion from the "tug" and you can push in any direction, not just on the axis of the "tug". We just put a ball on the front of our John Deere ZTR mower. It is now a better tug than our ATV or our Mil. Surplus tug for delicate maneuvering such as pushing a plane into a community hangar.

I got the VTHRUST tugger which uses the cordless drill as the motive force. It's pricey but it was easier for Margy to handle than many of the other tugs we looked at. I've got two of them.

+1 on the Powertow. I had the gas model, which was great, but I always regretted not going electric.

I'll second Ron's post of using the power tow, an old garden tractor works too.

Bobby,

Someone's done you one better

http://www.hammondscos.com/index.php?id=84

http://youtu.be/tK28pbZOUvQ

http://youtu.be/tlLq0cBwS1Q

Send a blank check...

Some one mentioned using an old golfcart. A ZTR mower makes a great tug, especially for pushing a plane. You can control the direction of the planes front wheel without forward or backward motion from the "tug" and you can push in any direction, not just on the axis of the "tug". We just put a ball on the front of our John Deere ZTR mower. It is now a better tug than our ATV or our Mil. Surplus tug for delicate maneuvering such as pushing a plane into a community hangar.

Last edited:
I have a brand new one I can make you a very good deal on. It has only been used maybe 5 times.

cool tug! Now if they would make the nose wheel platform swivel independent of the tug (keeping the nose wheel stationary relative to the nose of the aircraft, they could essentially pivot 360° around the aircraft.

cool tug! Now if they would make the nose wheel platform swivel independent of the tug (keeping the nose wheel stationary relative to the nose of the aircraft, they could essentially pivot 360° around the aircraft.

some robot tugs have a lazy susan wheel receiver but i don't think they all can rotate a full 360

really not necessary since the drive motors are reversible

some robot tugs have a lazy susan wheel receiver but i don't think they all can rotate a full 360

It could help if you put a tug under every wheel and make them move in unison! I'm sure there would some advantage to being to slide your plane sideways.

It could help if you put a tug under every wheel and make them move in unison! I'm sure there would some advantage to being to slide your plane sideways.

I've seen a hangar in Germany where each plane had each wheel on a dolly with swiveling wheels. The planes were pushed around by hand but I've never seen a place so tightly packed as that was.

It wasn't the fore and aft movement I was thinking about. It was the nose wheel pivot limitation like in the Mooney ... a very expensive oops.

It wasn't the fore and aft movement I was thinking about. It was the nose wheel pivot limitation like in the Mooney ... a very expensive oops.

i think the worst case i've seen is the T-34A/B

i'm surprised those planes can turn out of a tiedown

a turntable with ~180 rotation is probably the most you'd need, i can see belly antennae getting snapped if full rotation was available

I have an electric VThrust Aero Tugger (Steerable) for sale (USED LESS THAN 6 times since new). DRILL INCLUDED!!

Please contact me if interested - I can provide pictures & more info.

There is a small electric hand tug available on the field due to demise of the owner. He used it on his Cessna 172. I'd have to check on the brand and don't know the cost but can provide contact info if interested. I'll add the brand when I get a chance to check on it.

Back