Need direction and a dose of sanity to learn to fly

jrm1504

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jrm1504
So this is my first post on here...

I am need of direction and some sanity. I'd like to learn to fly, get my own plane and have my own airstrip. Isn't that everyone's dream?

Then actually fly from one of our farms to the other that is 70 miles away. OF course then do recreational flying and going to WSU football games 200 miles away.

I think I can put in a 1600ft strip.

Am I living in la-la land for someone that has only been a passenger?

What plane would be a good machine for this?

Do I learn on it or the instructors plane? At what point can going from my own strip be accomplished?

Any words of sanity and wisdom?

A Citabria would be perfect. If you can afford one use it to learn to fly it will make you a better pilot than nose wheel airplanes.

Ernie

I dream of waking up on a Saturday Morning, with no work to do in my office,

Get on my boat, fish for a few hours, catch some Salmon, come in, load my golf clubs in the plane and fly to play 9, then fly home and have a beer in the glow of my day off.

But, in reality, my boat sits unused, my flights are far and few in between and I'm in the office the 2 days a week that I'm not in the field.

Its all about management skills. Time and Life management. Get it right. I can't. But you can if you work at it.

If you're living in La-La land, you're not there without company. About three months ago I entered a scarily similar post on another forum. I have a pipeline coming through that will move a clump of trees out of the way allowing for about a 1,700 foot strip with fence at each end.

I am now in the process of buying a souped up Cessna 140 which is a taildragger. A taildragger, as mentioned above would be best for a grass strip IMHO.

I began flying 20 years ago, but for various reasons I did not finish. In my recent training I've flown with the instructor 6 hours and solo'd again after four.

If you are indeed in La-La land, I'm way out past that because my goal is to get my CFI and be a flight instructor as a retirement job.

To one of your questions, in many areas you can indeed rent a plane for your training. If you're in the boonies like me, that's not such a great option.

As mentioned before a Citabria would be a great plane if you can afford one. It is similar to an Aeronca Champ which was the plane I did my first 6 hours in some 20 years ago. With training and practice you could land and take off on a postage stamp. My Cessna does not have anywhere close to such short field performance, but I hope to make my 1700 feet ultimately work for me.

Also, you might check into the Light Sport training requirements and license limitations. I THINK that a Citabria or a Champ would qualify. You can get the license with less training time, but I think there is a 50NM limit, but check into it. If you were decide to go this route, make sure you do your training with a regular flight instructor, not an LSA only instructor. This is so that your hours will be eligible as logged hours for your private license.

As long as you have the funds and the time, this is ABSOLUTELY doable. Get a book, DVD course or sign up for a ground school and get your written behind you early in the training. Find a Med Examiner and get your medical early. Just fly your butt off and enjoy yourself.

BTW jr, a suggestion was made to me that I want to pass along to you. It was suggested that I find a high time, tailwheel CFI with lots of experience going into short, off airport grass strips. This was not a problem for me because my original CFI fit this bill and my new CFI is an old crop duster. The suggestion was to find an old crop duster.

There are some things to learn about short, soft fields that many CFI's who have spent their lives in tricycles on paved runways could not teach as well as the old Geezers like I described. (I can call them old Geezers, because I'm an old Geezer myself.)

Doc

Last edited:
I am need of direction and some sanity...Any words of sanity and wisdom?
Ha, good luck finding that here!:wink2:
But seriously...

I'd like to learn to fly, get my own plane and have my own airstrip. Isn't that everyone's dream?
Add a well-stocked wine cellar, a hot tub, and the Swedish bikini team and you've got my dream.

...fly from one of our farms to the other that is 70 miles away. OF course then do recreational flying and going to WSU football games 200 miles away. I think I can put in a 1600ft strip....What plane would be a good machine for this?
You're in Yakima? If so, you are in luck as it just so happens that there is an aircraft manufacturer, CubCrafters, that is based at the Yakima airport. CubCrafters is a very reputable company that produces three different models that will suit your needs quite well (so long as you don't need to carry more than one passenger with you) and each of their planes is an absolute blast to fly. What's more, 1600' of runway is more than sufficient, with no pavement required. I'm sure the CubCrafters folks would be happy to speak with you, and perhaps welcome you to stop by. You may not end up buying one of their airplanes, but you will certainly gain from the experience.

Do I learn on it or the instructors plane? At what point can going from my own strip be accomplished?
You can learn in a rented plane or in your own airplane. If you use your own plane you can fly from your own strip.

Last edited:
Also, you might check into the Light Sport training requirements and license limitations. I THINK that a Citabria or a Champ would qualify. You can get the license with less training time, but I think there is a 50NM limit, but check into it. If you were decide to go this route, make sure you do your training with a regular flight instructor, not an LSA only instructor. This is so that your hours will be eligible as logged hours for your private license.

Citabria - no, not Light Sport eligible. Champ - yes.

The 50NM limit is for Rec. pilot which is a pointless certificate (near as I can tell).

There are a ton of planes that have no trouble getting in and out of 1500 feet. It's just a question of how many bodies you need to haul and how fast you need to go. As you may guess, the price goes up with performance. (exception: Light Sport eligable carries a bit of a premium.)

My little LSA was $20K and would have no problem at all getting in and out of 1500 feet even on a hot day. But under LSA rules there are only two seats- and it ain't exactly a rocket ship.

re: medical - know BEFORE you go. Really.

Some people buy airplanes and learn in them. An instructor can easily teach you in your airplane, provided you have dual controls and he's familiar with the type (don't let any yahoo do it though, even if he has a CFI certificate). If the instructor signs you off, you can fly between two places even before you pass your FAA practical test and receive the temporary Private certificate (although you cannot do it for business purposes, e.g. in order to manage the farm).

If your farm or ranch is big enough and produces enough revenue, you might want to consider getting your Private Pilot certificate in a helicopter instead. Obviously an R-22 is more expensive than a Cub, but some owners put them to good use on the ranch.

One thing you need to consider is your money flow. Usually the purchase price is not the biggest expense of operating an aircraft for a few years. The maintenance, fuel, and insurance need to be accounted.

Also, you might check into the Light Sport training requirements and license limitations.
It is true that it takes less training and thus less expense to obtain the Sport Pilot certificate, which allows to fly a Light Sport airplane. However, he (jrm1504) cannot excercise Sport Pilot priviledges in order to manage his farms ("in furtherance of a business" as regulations say). He has to have a Private Pilot certificate for that.

I think the reality is you need a PPL do make the most of it. So, I think I'd go for a PPL and try to go through IFR. I'd love to be able to go with my buddies to football games. That is 200 miles away. And with the Pac-12 saying they are going to be doing more Thursday and Friday night games, I think IFR would be worthwhile.

How many people? I'd love to be able to carry four total...I'd even go for six.

And yes, a helicopter would be nice in that it is the ultimate STOL craft...however, they use a lot of fuel and aren't as fast.

Sanity to learn to fly and own an airplane? Sorry wrong website.

I think the reality is you need a PPL do make the most of it. So, I think I'd go for a PPL and try to go through IFR. I'd love to be able to go with my buddies to football games. That is 200 miles away. And with the Pac-12 saying they are going to be doing more Thursday and Friday night games, I think IFR would be worthwhile.

How many people? I'd love to be able to carry four total...

The C182 is probably the high end of what you want to buy, for your mission (including training). It'll carry four real people. It'll get in and out of your 1700 foot grass strip. However, don't count on being able to get four real people out of your 1700-foot grass strip! My scariest takeoff ever was trying to get me plus a mom and her two kids off 1800 feet of grass.

But, while you can learn to fly in a 182, the insurance will be more expensive than it would on a more typical trainer like the 172, and you'll have a couple of extra knobs and levers to be worrying about on your trips around the pattern. You may want to just start by renting, and then buy later on. Or, buy something cheap, train in it, and then buy what you really want later.

I was going to suggest a Skylane as well. It will get into and out of short strips (especially with some STOL modifications, which would be in order considering its mission), and will let you take a couple buddies and some beer.

It is unlikely that any CFI will sign off a student to fly into and out of a short grass strip solo, so actually using the aircraft for its mission would have to be after the PP.

One certainly doesn't have to train in a 182 to fly one. A couple good buddies learned in 150's and transitioned in to a 182 without an undue amount of training.

Putting in new strips, on the other hand, sounds slow, expensive, and a breathtaking amount of work. In the long run the chopper is cheaper.

I was going to suggest a Skylane as well. It will get into and out of short strips (especially with some STOL modifications, which would be in order considering its mission),

There is even a version with the tailwheel on the right end of the airplane.

I was going to suggest a Skylane as well. It will get into and out of short strips (especially with some STOL modifications, which would be in order considering its mission), and will let you take a couple buddies and some beer.

It is unlikely that any CFI will sign off a student to fly into and out of a short grass strip solo, so actually using the aircraft for its mission would have to be after the PP.

One certainly doesn't have to train in a 182 to fly one. A couple good buddies learned in 150's and transitioned in to a 182 without an undue amount of training.

Putting in new strips, on the other hand, sounds slow, expensive, and a breathtaking amount of work. In the long run the chopper is cheaper.

I was also wondering about the STOL mods. I would think that would help get up a bit quicker. With the report above about a rather hairy experience, I too wondered if there were any "interesting" conditions. Maybe hot or at 7000ft or something?

I know a local instructor here that use to be a bush pilot in Alaska. He also use to be a farmer like me. If anyone would be crazy enough to do things from a private strip, he would. And if not, he'd tell me straight up why he wouldn't/couldn't.

As for the construction part, that doesn't both me at all. We are getting ready to build an 8 million gallon pond that has me more concerned. It has slopes and grades and drains and blah blah blah. A strip is just flat without obstructions. We already have the dozer, scraper and grader. Challenges are good.

I also think it would be a pretty cool strip as long as you made it off by the end. On the east side to maintain grade, I'd need to add about 15ft of material. Then at the end, it would have to fall away to get back to the original ground level at about a 25% slope.

Here is a web site of a guy who bought an abandoned airstrip. Looks like a ton of work, and that's just to get it back into shape, not carve it out of raw earth. Ed Frederick has probably forgotten more about building airstrips than I ever learned, he and h is father resurrected a strip in Sidnaw Michigan. Looks to me like a LOT of work, especially if you have to do it x2. Like I said, by the time you get done doing all that, a chopper might actually be cheaper.

Here is a web site of a guy who bought an abandoned airstrip. Looks like a ton of work, and that's just to get it back into shape, not carve it out of raw earth. Ed Frederick has probably forgotten more about building airstrips than I ever learned, he and h is father resurrected a strip in Sidnaw Michigan. Looks to me like a LOT of work, especially if you have to do it x2. Like I said, by the time you get done doing all that, a chopper might actually be cheaper.

I suspect a Robinson R-44 would be the minimum he would need for the loads and distances he'd want to fly. You could build a lot of runway for ~$250k.

It depends on your budget really. If you can afford the price tag, a Katmai 182 conversion will do you well, won't need anywhere near 1600', probably take off and land twice in that. If you have a farm big enough for a strip you can probably just land in your driveway.

Great dream and I hope it happens for you first get your pilots certificate then you can figure out what is an isn't possible. By the way welcome to POA!

Poor bastid.

I dream of waking up on a Saturday Morning, with no work to do in my office,

Get on my boat, fish for a few hours, catch some Salmon, come in, load my golf clubs in the plane and fly to play 9, then fly home and have a beer in the glow of my day off.

But, in reality, my boat sits unused, my flights are far and few in between and I'm in the office the 2 days a week that I'm not in the field.

Its all about management skills. Time and Life management. Get it right. I can't. But you can if you work at it.

I was also wondering about the STOL mods. I would think that would help get up a bit quicker. With the report above about a rather hairy experience, I too wondered if there were any "interesting" conditions. Maybe hot or at 7000ft or something?

Yes. Hot and high hurt all aircraft's performance numbers dramatically.

STOL will get you off the ground in limited runway space, but it will hurt climb performance and distance to clear obstacles after you're off the ground.

In my Robertson STOL equipped Cessna 182, since the flaps are down (you can delay extension but that's really "busy" during a takeoff) you also hurt acceleration performance.

Robertson's "STOL method" calls for holding brakes, rudder trim full right, full power, release brakes, select Flaps 30, and begin lift off at 45 MPH (38.25 knots) indicated, climb at 50 MPH (43 knots) indicated to clear obstacles, then accelerate to 75 MPH (64 knots) indicated and start retracting flaps, continue a normal climb out from there. Keeping in mind that max performance climb (Vy) is 89 MPH (76 knots) at full power, you can see how far behind the power curve a max-performance STOL takeoff is.

Book numbers:

Sea-level, zero wind, 59F, indicated airspeed at 50' of 49 MPH, 2800 lbs:
Ground run 390'
50' Obstacle 735'

7500', zero-wind, 32F, same speed, same weight:
Ground run 680'
50' Obstacle 1415'

To make this apples to apples, we have to use the book correction for temperature, which says:
"Increase distances 10% for each 20F." That's 1% for every 2F. So ...

7500', zero-wind, 59F...

59F-32F = 27F. We'll round up to 28. Add 14%.

680' x 1.14 = 775' Ground run
1415' x 1.14 = 1613' to clear 50' obstacle

And so on and so on.

The Robertson book is purposefully sneaky with temperature and not corrected to standard atmosphere. You have to do a bit of work in Excel to get "normalized" performance charts.

The one I really want to try someday is:

Sea-level, 20 knot headwind, 59F (or colder), 2000 lbs, indicated airspeed at 50' 43 MPH.
Ground run 65'
50' Obstacle 185'

The Robertson STOL tables stop at 2800 lbs. You're "extrapolating with your life" above 2800, which is annoying. They also don't provide numbers above 7500', and since they mix altitude and temperature for you on their charts, they don't give a correction factor for say... Leadville, CO's altitude.

And the numbers above require perfect pilot technique. There's no margin of error in them and Robertson says, "Increase speeds in gusty or severe crosswind conditions by 5 MPH for every 10 knots of gust." They do not publish what that does to the distance numbers, but obviously they go up.

Things I know from having done a few of these now for practice. Normally trained Cessna drivers will freak out at the following: Nose up angle (it's actually very flat and that weirds you out a bit - it tries to come off main gear first and you have to aggressively yank the nose off - otherwise it'll wheelbarrow), stall horn blaring (yes, you're down into your safety margin), lack of ability to accelerate for a few seconds (feels longer than that!), noises coming from the stall fences on top of the wings, disbelief that you're already off the ground, failure to maintain enough back pressure to stay that slow until 50'.

(Frankly I chickened out and accelerated a bit! GRIN!)

It also explains to your butt and eyeballs why the thing floats so bad if you try to land it at Flaps 30 or 40 with normal 182 speed numbers. ;) Book touchdown speed for STOL landings is 49 MPH indicated. It also specifically calls for doing that with power on. Power off, the descent rate with Flaps 40 makes the timing of the flare too critical and you're done flying *right now* if you yank the yoke back hard to arrest that descent. Power on, you just close the throttle to plop on if you time it right and keep that yoke back to protect the poor nose wheel. It'll drop the second you pull the power off.

Frankly other than hot, high, and heavy, you don't need STOL for that strip.

With our long-range 80 gallon/75 useable fuel tanks we can get to our max-gross of 2950 lbs before we get four adults on board pretty easy and that'd be problematic there. There's a paper STC to go to 3100 lbs for takeoff on the C-182P model, but it's still limited to 2950' for landing. To operate out of a short strip we'd leave the tanks down from the top. Catch-22 there also until you get to later models... bladder tanks like to be kept full when not in use.

Fun stuff, but even Robertson calls the Flaps 30 takeoff an "emergency" procedure to limit their liability if you're ham-fisted about it. Normal takeoff in the Robertson book is listed as Flaps 20. Most Skylane drivers usually use Flaps 10 if they have the runway. It's a more graceful rotation and climb out.

No flaps, a Skylane will chew up some serious runway at max-gross... but the climb out is rock solid. Little hard on the nose gear speed-wise, but nice in gusty or excessive crosswind conditions. Colorado Pilots Association teaches no-flap takeoffs in the mountains on the long paved runways so there's no question you're going flying and have a healthy airspeed margin before your go-stop point calculated prior to takeoff. Techniques for short unimproved strips are more the type of thing you see up at the school in McCall, Idaho.

Was this in a 182? How much did the goats kids weight?

I can't remember for sure - They were probably ~8 and 10 years old. It wasn't even a max-gross takeoff, but it was a short and very obstructed field. 1800' with no obstructions probably be OK.

With the report above about a rather hairy experience, I too wondered if there were any "interesting" conditions. Maybe hot or at 7000ft or something?

Nope, not really. Warmer than standard, yes - August. High, no... Or at least I don't think of 1372 MSL as high.

The obstructions were the big thing. Nice, tall trees right at the end of the runway that don't know that they're not allowed to grow higher than the standard 50-ft FAA obstruction. ;)

Back