Need Computer Help

gAs I said I can do a block layer copy of each disk with a Linux live CD but that's very demanding that you get syntax right and you can only get basic compression and none of those other friendly features like partition expansion, at least not in one step.

dd is generally going to be *really* slow. If you don't care about time and just want to clone it..there isn't much to the syntax. dd if=/dev/sourcedisk of=/dev/destinationdisk ... The fastest way to clone a disk is to copy the master boot record and partition table (first 512 bytes of drive) and then copy the files onto the partition. But this is really awkward to do in Linux for a NTFS volume.

dd is generally going to be *really* slow. If you don't care about time and just want to clone it..there isn't much to the syntax. dd if=/dev/sourcedisk of=/dev/destinationdisk ... The fastest way to clone a disk is to copy the master boot record and partition table (first 512 bytes of drive) and then copy the files onto the partition. But this is really awkward to do in Linux for a NTFS volume.

I'd copy the raw partiion. That way it doesn't matter what the file system is. You also can pipe it through gz to compress the image.

If you don't write down that /dev/hda is the source and /dev/hdb1/backup_2007.07.01 is the destination and you're as lousy a typist as I am...It's not the kind thing you want to be typing at 2 AM.

I had a case where I got an "unreadable" error on doing a restore. That's pretty bad.

Last edited:
Back