Need Christmas advice (ladies)

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
For christmas - 13 small ring shaped boxes. In one box is a nice ring she wants. In the others are one piece each of good chocolate.

Fun or cruel?

If she likes chocolate, it's fun.

If she doesn't, it borders on cruel.

If she's allergic to it, it is cruel, especially if she wishes she could eat it anyway.

:D

Only cruel if the chocolate is chocolate covered grasshoppers...

Can she open them all now but eat the chocolate over time, or does she have to eat/wear each piece as it’s opened?

Honestly, I wouldn’t do that with my wife…she likes chocolate, and she wouldn’t think it was cruel, but she’d get a little annoyed. YMMV.

full disclosure: my wife and I already have our Christmas presents from each other…a set from https://beddys.com/

13.....bad luck.......don't eat the ring!

Well wait a minute, are we talking about a wife, or a girlfriend?

(Pro tip - it's best the two don't meet)

Cruel. Also awkward, impractical.

It would take SWMBO at least a week to eat all those pieces of chocolate, and the ring could show up at any random time. She might not get the gift until several days after Christmas and I might not be there. And she would spend those several days annoyed at me for not getting her a nice Christmas present. So rather than allowing the random draw, I'd have to pull out the right box and say, "Here, try this one."

One year I gave Mrs. Fast a string of pearls. We decorate our Christmas tree with strings of white pearl-like plastic beads, so several days before Christmas I hung her necklace on the tree, looking like it was just part of the decorations. On Christmas morning after she opened her other packages, I said, "You missed one." When she gave me a quizzical look I pulled the pearls off the tree and handed them to her. It was nice surprise and got a laugh.

So maybe you could try hanging the ring like an ornament, if it would blend in and go unnoticed?

If you give her a bunch of ring-shaped boxes, she's going to know there's a ring in one. If she's like mine, she'll be entirely focused on finding out which one. If she knows she's getting a ring, it'd be cuter to put something in a ring-shaped box (not an obvious decoy like chocolate) and put the ring in a larger box that's obviously not a ring box.

Random order? Is she going to find the ring before all the boxes are done and be disappointed the rest are Chocolate. Especially if she finds the ring early in the process? Or will you hold the ring out for last?

I’m thinking there’s a lot of room for misunderstanding and potentially hurt feelings.

I did something similar some years ago, but it was a large box with clues to other boxes / hiding places, which ended in jewelry. A bit of a treasure hunt. The ring ended up having being on her favorite ornament in plain sight for over a week…. She still talks about it decades later.

Yeah, going to be a no. I might put it in a bigger box.

If you need a xmas theme - try a advent calendar. Put a decent chocolate in each day and ring for the 24th. Once the first few chocolates are the same she won't peak ahead to the one with the ring. Its more of a kid thing though.

For christmas - 13 small ring shaped boxes. In one box is a nice ring she wants. In the others are one piece each of good chocolate.

Fun or cruel?
You might want to just keep it simple. But...who knows...she might like both:)

Last edited:
Place the actual jewelry item within the pair of socks in the yuletide stocking. Ring boxes all contain chocolates. No risk of choking this way -- except to you of course upon her opening the thirteenth box to find another ruddy chocolate. :D

Back