Need Bulldog rescue run help in MO

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I put in to adopt a rescue bulldog. I just got a call that my Mom vouched for me :D so I can adopt Sissy!

1191690367.jpg

http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/showdog.pl?id=1295

She's the same brindle color as my beloved Bertha D. Bulldog.

She's in Savannah, MO. The big airport is KSTJ - St. Joseph - Rosecrans

I need to get her in the next few weeks and I'm wary about having favorable weather. I had that CAVU weekend when I flew up north to Ames. I think getting that again is more than I can hope.

Anybody nearby wanna help by running a relay? Maybe bring her to Quad Cities?

Just wish me luck.

I'm gonna be a Bulldog daddy again! :goofy:

Last edited:
BTW, since she's a stray, Sissy is not necessarily her name. That's just what they gave her for now.

I'll take suggestions.

Amelia? Pancho!

The last time I flew to Missouri, there was a Pit Bull in the back seat. :hairraise:

kenny, was the pit bull there when you landed?

mike - kudos to you for the dog. not sure if i can help get it to you anyway but let me know if you think of anything

Yep. I was a safety pilot for a dog rescue flight from PDK to CPS and back. When I asked him what kind of dog and he answered, I cringed. During another phone call, I asked if he had a muzzle and means to restrain the dog along with questions about the dog's history. I wasn't sure how the dog would react in the plane. It turned out, he did great.

mike - kudos to you for the dog. not sure if i can help get it to you anyway but let me know if you think of anything

If you're interested, I might stop by Ames on the way and get you.

I could use a co-pilot, if anybody wants a ride.

I'm getting obsessed enough that I could drive, but it's FAR to drive. :no:

If you're interested, I might stop by Ames on the way and get you.

I could use a co-pilot, if anybody wants a ride.

I'm getting obsessed enough that I could drive, but it's FAR to drive. :no:

well you'd have to stop in Cedar Rapids to meet me. What day are you thinking? Im here through the 14th. One day that would work fairly well for me, probably, would be sunday Dec. 9.

well you'd have to stop in Cedar Rapids to meet me. What day are you thinking? Im here through the 14th. One day that would work fairly well for me, probably, would be sunday Dec. 9.

Cedar Rapids is even better.

I figure I'll need to stop lest the dog has to stay put for 3 hours in a unfamiliar noisy airplane.

I think you should name her "Matilda" a la Davy Boy Smith's British Bulldog.

"Pancho" (as in Barnes) is a perfect handle for a pilot's dog with a face like that!! :D
Might confuse the uninitiated though, so maybe "Florence" (Pancho's real name).;)

She looks like a bright, healthy pooch!

Good luck with that, and bless your heart for helping a stray. I always tell people "the best breed is any shelter dog..." :D

Got my Peg from a shelter over 10 years ago and have few regrets, except for stuff like when she crawled into my lap (all 70 lbs of her) as I was getting onto the Pal. Parkway to bring her home from the shelter.
Good thing I wasn't flying!! :eek:

I checked what flying commercial would be. It turns out through various schemes I could fly from O'Hare and especially, Milwaukee to Des Moines for $204-$300 ROUND TRIP, which would be less than fuel alone in my Cherokee. Midwest is $300. The rest require changing planes. For Comair, of course, it would be in Cinci. :no: And flying from Milwaukee and changing planes at ORD is cheaper than flying the ORD flight alone.

Then I considered the hassles, still having to rent a car and drive 150 miles. and I looked up the rules about having a dog in a kennel. Not worth it, especially since the sponsor asked me if I intended to fly commercially 'cause they don't like they way dogs are handled, I guess.

After all, I am supposed to enjoy flying, right? :rolleyes:

I'll fly and have driving the whole way as a backup. :dunno:

So much for the "bargain" of a rescue dog. I could buy a puppy from a breeder for $1800 or so. :D

Last edited:
itll be a fun flight for you mike, a nice mission to have.

any idea what day? or doesnt it matter?

itll be a fun flight for you mike, a nice mission to have.

any idea what day? or doesnt it matter?

Saturday 12/8 and Sunday 12/9. Since there won't be enough daylight to round trip it, I'll spend a night somewhere, prolly Cedar Rapids. I would like to be sure to get to back to work on 12/10. :D

ok, we'll see how it plays out. I would be OK on the 8th too, as long as I make it back to the flying club in the afternoon for the airport owners/old time CFI/sterotypical airport geezers 80th birthday party.

An update for for the none of you who care:

I think I'll drive.

They're saying 40% chance of snow and rain and then rain and snow Saturday-Sunday.

I'll drive out starting Friday and stay over two nights along the way. Then the only worry is the car holding up and not going off road into a snow bank.

I'd enjoy the drive and scenery but we're talking mostly Iowa. Ain't nothing there.

Hey! I can stop at Galena, IL.

mike you underestimate my great state, im dissapointed.

Galena is a nice town. i drove through there a lot on my multiple trips to Rockford and back last spring, always wanted to stop and look around. There was often hto air balloons floating through the valleys around there on calm days.

mike you underestimate my great state, im dissapointed.

Galena is a nice town. i drove through there a lot on my multiple trips to Rockford and back last spring, always wanted to stop and look around. There was often hto air balloons floating through the valleys around there on calm days.

You should have stopped. They have some nice shops in town.

We spent a night in the Hotel, where Lincoln stayed. It's very nice.

The only problem is there's no airport close. You have to use Dubuque. Foster Field is many miles away from civilization.

You should have stopped. They have some nice shops in town.

We spent a night in the Hotel, where Lincoln stayed. It's very nice.

The only problem is there's no airport close. You have to use Dubuque. Foster Field is many miles away from civilization.

usually if i was passing through it was due to two situations:

going to see leah

leaving from seeing leah (usually fairly late in the day/night)

neither made stopping in galena very high on the priority list.

!!!!!! about the Dog, I live about an 1.5hrs from Savannah Mo. Is it coming from Mshoogy's? Any way, There may be some way I can Help you. I have a client from IN driving in on Friday and one from IL on Monday I could probably get her to hitch a ride with these People. I train dogs for a living and these will be dog people ( You know dog people are usually good people). ther is also the Posiblity that i can get A freind ( I can't I am very tied up with Dogs Now) to try to fly here out to you if there is a good break in the weather this week end. The weather is Looking quite cruddy!!

!!!!!! about the Dog, I live about an 1.5hrs from Savannah Mo. Is it coming from Mshoogy's? Any way, There may be some way I can Help you. I have a client from IN driving in on Friday and one from IL on Monday I could probably get her to hitch a ride with these People. I train dogs for a living and these will be dog people ( You know dog people are usually good people). ther is also the Posiblity that i can get A freind ( I can't I am very tied up with Dogs Now) to try to fly here out to you if there is a good break in the weather this week end. The weather is Looking quite cruddy!!

Thanks. I've got the trip planned leaving Friday night, with a no-cancel motel reservation in Des Moines Saturday night.

Unless you really have somebody driving east this weekend, I'll be in Savannah on Saturday afternoon and drive back Saturday and Sunday.

It's not Mshoogy's. Stansabulldogs. It's really through the Bulldog Club of America. She's just boarding her for the rescue. I should keep these breeders names at hand for the next one, though.

Thanks for the offer, though.

I CAN'T WAIT to meet my girl. I wonder how long it'll take for her to know my place is home so she doesn't try to get back to Missouri if she gets lost. :p

Thanks. I've got the trip planned leaving Friday night, with a no-cancel motel reservation in Des Moines Saturday night.

Darn, Mike.. I would offer to buy you dinner or at least a drink while in DSM Sat night, but we have a Christmas party to go to Saturday night in Ankeny. :(

Good luck with the trip. It's just starting to snow good here and they're saying 2-4 inches by 8pm tonight. More stuff moving in Saturday. :(

Did I mention that I hate winter?

Darn, Mike.. I would offer to buy you dinner or at least a drink while in DSM Sat night, but we have a Christmas party to go to Saturday night in Ankeny. :(

Good luck with the trip. It's just starting to snow good here and they're saying 2-4 inches by 8pm tonight. More stuff moving in Saturday. :(

Did I mention that I hate winter?

have any of the RV guys outfitted with skis yet? wouldnt have to worry as much about nose gear digging in !

have any of the RV guys outfitted with skis yet? wouldnt have to worry as much about nose gear digging in !

Good point. I would be surprised if it hasn't at least been attempted yet.

Pancho is here! She's pawing me because she wants to know why we aren't going home.

The weather held off until Des Moines. Then the flying ice hit.

I slowed it down and went with the idea not to aim the car where you don't want it o go in a straight line and don't make no sudden moves.

Missouri doesn't do as good a job clearing the roads as Iowa and Illinois.

The worse adventure: Google maps routed me 30 miles down a state two lane road. I told the lady that didn't scare me. I didn't consider the weather. Let's just say it scared me.

This city kid does a slow and steady cruise down the snow and ice packed road and sees native country folks in the ditch.

The road had steep hills. I just coasted down and hoped the momentum would carry me up the next.

The ice would accumulate and have to be cleared every minute or two. I went through two entire bottles of windshield de-ice fluid. Hafta to get another today.

There were a lot of local folks who had to pull over to clear ice so they could see. I guess they're not good on instruments,

My Nuvi has let me down slightly. It has me going in circles through Des Moines last night.

I am determined to check out a Maid-Rite. We don't have those at home. Once I found one is Des Monies last night, it was closed. I hope I get to one by lunch.

Pancho has been a good girl (mostly). She's quiet. I swear she can read minds.

When we met last evening, she ran up to me and jumped on me. The rescue club lady said she has never done that to anyone. She knew I was her new daddy. She ran right out and went for the door.

When I said we were going home she headed for the door. She's been antsy to get going so I need to hit the road.

I know I'll more on the last 5(?) hour run home.

(The maid just opened the door without knocking, I'm glad I was dressed. :hairraise:)

I'm Mike and I approved this message. (There sumthin going on in Iowa...)

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Glad you found a good pooch!

It got pretty nasty driving around here last night. We went to Ankeny (north suburb of DSM) for a Christmas party. We took the Jeep b/c I knew it would be easier to get out of a ditch if necessary than the Passat. I bet I went through nearly a gallon of deicer fluid on the (normally) 1hr round trip drive (actually took ~1 hr each way last night).

One reason the Nuvi may be screwing up is that the majority of I-235 has been closed for the past several years and just reopened this fall. So if you're GPS doesn't have a perfectly up to date database, it might be trying to figure out what the heck those genius Iowa road engineers were doing. I think there are still a few off-ramps closed until spring.

If you get a chance to read this, and you're still in DSM for some reason, skip the Maid-Rite (all it is is loose-meat ground beef on a bun - you have to get cheese on it just to hold it together - I was definitely NOT impressed). Instead, check out the Machine Shed restaurant over by Living History Farms. It's on Hickman, I believe. If you ask anyone from DSM, they'll be able to give you better directions. I know it's just across the interstate from the Flying J truck stop.

Anywho.. Good luck on your trek through the frozen wastelands of Iowa. :)

cheese on a maid rite, you should be burned at the stake

cheese on a maid rite, you should be burned at the stake

Whoever "invented" (if you can call it an invention to put unseasoned ground beef on a bun an invention) should be dragged into the street and shot!

Whoever "invented" (if you can call it an invention to put unseasoned ground beef on a bun an invention) should be dragged into the street and shot!

So, it's essentially a sloppy joe without the sauce?:dunno:

Mike, I'm glad your adventure went well. Lesson for next time: shop for pets in the summer! I've seen Matt Michael wearing a great tee shirt that says "Dog is my Copilot". I'm sure you can find one on the web.

As for maid-rites, you guys are so hard to please. The original Maid-Rite is in downtown Marshalltown, IA (MIW). You should stop there and order one for the true experience before making a final judgment. It would be the perfect $100 loose-meat-hamburger mission.

As for the snow and ice, I'm growing a little weary of it myself. My battle started with a scheduled flight home from Appleton, WI on Thursday afternoon. I watched the ice boots at work on the first leg into MSP (in a Saab turboprop), but Northwest failed me by cancelling my flight home and failing to get me on either of the two later flights. I ended up driving a rental car home. It gave me a few hours to consider the similarities between driving a car on ice and landing the 140.

If nothing else, the bad wx has given me a lot of time to catch up on POA!

Well Congrats on Adopting a Rescue Dog, Mike . I did that 5 years ago when i got Bear (150# long haired Rotty).And i'm sure She will LOVE you too. She looks very nice. And I'm glad you r trip was uneventful (except for the maid walking in).BTW here is a pic. of Bear .
Congrats again

Dave G.:blueplane:

Attachments

• BEAR.jpg
    BEAR.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 5

I KNOW it's seasoned. Myabe just salted.

I saw it on the "Sandwiches you will like" special on PBS.

The breeder in Miissouri said I'd love it. "It's juicy, tender beef."

It ended up that I lost track of how far east the Maid-Rite I saw on I-80 was. I thought there were some in Davenport. Nope. They apparently aren't east of the Cedar Rapids area. The Nuvi said the the last one was in Liberty, IA. Off the Intertstate, another 5 miles down an icy twisty, hilly two-lane road, and I think I saw where the Maid-Rite used to be. Nice, little farm town, though.

When I tried to go back to Arthur's Garden Deli in Rock Falls where I had dinner, IT was closed. I settled for the Burger King next door.

I've been stubbornly refusing to pay the $79 for the Nuvi map database update. I guess that would be money well spent for the time it might save me. I'll still wait for next year's release. (Consider that for once, aviation costs less. I get Garmin database updates for my 295 at air conventions for $39.)

We were able to make it into Pet Supplies Plus for a new water and food dish before they closed at 6 so Pancho got to see her new home at around 6:20 PM.

We had hit the road just after 10 AM with stops every few hours. The was more occasional icing but the roads, especially in Illinios were in better shape. There were more cars freshly in the ditch in Iowa. More of the scary things is when you stop and realize it's so icy you can barely get out of the car without slipping and you've been blithely driving on this stuff.

Pancho spent hours scoping the new place out, she even has no problem witht he stairs. The back yard will work, although she doesn't fit through the doggie door, and I have to let her know she needs to go OFF of the deck, even if that does mean trampling through snow. :p As soon as we work out some stuff, like getting her to understand she can't sleep on MY comforter, we'll be all set.

It took minutes for me to realize that I had forgotten that builldogs force you to lower your standards for sanitation. I think it's hopeless to think you can ever have the floor stay clean. My sister's first take is the drool. My mother's is the other end. I had a huge puddle of water in the kitchen around the water feeder until I scrounged up a "tray" from the basement.

I've been on a scavenger hunt to find my doggie stuff in the pile of things I moved. The only thing missing now is the real tray, which I swear I moved, but I can buy another. LOL! It just occrred to me that it may still be in the van! I'm finding my Christmas stuff at the same time.

Today she made her backup old-blanket bed comfortable and she's doing the bulldog snore as I type this.

I have that as background music all night again.

It's a nice sound.

(BTW, the breeder told me Pancho has the same bark for whatever she wants. I asked why she hasn't barked. She said it's because she has what she wants. :D )

Last edited:
Glad you found a good pooch!

It got pretty nasty driving around here last night. We went to Ankeny (north suburb of DSM) for a Christmas party. We took the Jeep b/c I knew it would be easier to get out of a ditch if necessary than the Passat. I bet I went through nearly a gallon of deicer fluid on the (normally) 1hr round trip drive (actually took ~1 hr each way last night).

I saw plenty of SUVs in the ditch with the mere cars, although no real CJs.

I was on the lookout for an auto parts store to buy a good brand of de-icer, but I ended up buying another $2.99 bottle at a gas station convenience store. I needed it, althoguh not as often ont he rest of the trip. Of course, I left a second full bottle of good stuff right behind the front door when I left. I thought there would be no way I'd need more than one gallon I threw in the car. WRONG!

One reason the Nuvi may be screwing up is that the majority of I-235 has been closed for the past several years and just reopened this fall. So if you're GPS doesn't have a perfectly up to date database, it might be trying to figure out what the heck those genius Iowa road engineers were doing. I think there are still a few off-ramps closed until spring.

I figured the confusion was something like that. As above, I'll get a database update with next year's release. I was reminded when I got close to home and had "Karen" yelling at me because I didn't turn left where the road used to be.

When I left the breeder's farm she had me follow her down the gravel road for the back way to the state roads. She told me to follow her and turn right, but I had the mUvi tell me to turn left. She called and said, "Where ARE you going?" She as going to come back to get me but I said I was OK. I knew I wouldn't get lost. She thought the Nuvi was sending me the long way. We understood I had sworn not to get off of the interstates. :no:

If you get a chance to read this, and you're still in DSM for some reason, skip the Maid-Rite (all it is is loose-meat ground beef on a bun - you have to get cheese on it just to hold it together - I was definitely NOT impressed). Instead, check out the Machine Shed restaurant over by Living History Farms. It's on Hickman, I believe. If you ask anyone from DSM, they'll be able to give you better directions. I know it's just across the interstate from the Flying J truck stop.

Anywho.. Good luck on your trek through the frozen wastelands of Iowa. :)
I saw the sign for the Machine Shed. I was tempted, but I would had to leave the dog in the car for too long. The Machine Shed in Appleton is our favorite breakfast place during Oshkosh.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back