Need avionics/autopilot expert near phoenix

problematique

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jay G
I've got a 2000 Cessna 172S with a new G5 installed (replaced the vacuum DG with the G5 unit). Airplane has a KAP 140 autopilot, heading only. The GAD 29B was installed.
Basically- it's taking too long for my mechanic to diagnose and correct the lack of auto-pilot functionality after the G5 install. The outfit he uses to help with avionics are not acting expeditiously. (They are super busy, and have other customers that come first and I'm impatient)

Symptom: Engaging autopilot ONLY resulted in a left turn command, no matter what the heading bug was set to, or anything else. The A/P screen didn't change when I pushed the HDG button either.
Below is what has been done to try to rectify the problem:

- Autopilot firmware updated since apparently it has never been updated. *This did not fix the problem, actually it seemed to have made it worse. Now when I turn on the Master Switch the Autopilot throws a error code and remains locked out (gives that little red "R" on the bottom left of the autopilot unit. This has never happened in the last 3 years of flying this plane).

- This led to the idea that the Turn Coordinator was bad since the auto pilot uses information from it. *This was not the case either.

Now it's just disconnected all together.
I need someone who is familiar with the G5 and connectivity with the KAP 140. I want to drop the plane and know that it will actually get worked on when I drop it. Hopefully at least diagnosed inside of 5 days of dropping it off.
anyone?

I've got a 2000 Cessna 172S with a new G5 installed (replaced the vacuum DG with the G5 unit). Airplane has a KAP 140 autopilot, heading only. The GAD 29B was installed.
Basically- it's taking too long for my mechanic to diagnose and correct the lack of auto-pilot functionality after the G5 install. The outfit he uses to help with avionics are not acting expeditiously. (They are super busy, and have other customers that come first and I'm impatient)

Symptom: Engaging autopilot ONLY resulted in a left turn command, no matter what the heading bug was set to, or anything else. The A/P screen didn't change when I pushed the HDG button either.
Below is what has been done to try to rectify the problem:

- Autopilot firmware updated since apparently it has never been updated. *This did not fix the problem, actually it seemed to have made it worse. Now when I turn on the Master Switch the Autopilot throws a error code and remains locked out (gives that little red "R" on the bottom left of the autopilot unit. This has never happened in the last 3 years of flying this plane).

- This led to the idea that the Turn Coordinator was bad since the auto pilot uses information from it. *This was not the case either.

Now it's just disconnected all together.
I need someone who is familiar with the G5 and connectivity with the KAP 140. I want to drop the plane and know that it will actually get worked on when I drop it. Hopefully at least diagnosed inside of 5 days of dropping it off.
anyone?

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but all my avionics work has been done at WestWind Avionics at Deer Valley and Doug over there has been absolutely awesome. Very quick turn around time, etc. Granted I haven't done any extensive avionics work on our plane. You would have to fly it over here for them to work on it though.

Might be better options, but thought I would mention it.

Back