Need an old crappy laptop

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Anbody got an old laptop with a 9-pin serial port laying around they want to sell? It can be a 200MHZ running windows 95 for all I care.

I need it to run an old legacy application that doesn't work so hot using a a USB to Serial converter.

Last edited:
I find usb-serial to be hit or miss. Do you have a PCMCIA or Express slot on your laptop? I have be told the Serial port adapter that plug in there work 99% of the time.

I find usb-serial to be hit or miss. Do you have a PCMCIA or Express slot on your laptop? I have be told the Serial port adapter that plug in there work 99% of the time.

I don't

I'm finding "better than I need laptops" laptops on eBay for 80 bucks, probably just go that route. It's an old legacy Java appliction that uses the JNI to load a native windows dll to do serial port communications (ugghh) and the XON, partiy etc... has to be set perfect to talk to the serial printer correctly, the settings don't seem to want to "stick" with the couple of usb->serial adapters we have.

Think I have what you need; let me check at the office in the morning. I got it, it's yours.

Think I have what you need; let me check at the office in the morning. I got it, it's yours.

Let me know what you need for it or I can possibly set you up a website for your non profit or something.

If he doesn't have what you need, I have an old panasonic toughbook sitting next to my desk. Old school serial.. PCMCIA slots.. touch screen.. MAYBE a pentium 3 inside.. i bought it used for 200 on ebay like 5 years ago.. I'd give it up for 50 bux..

Back