need Airventure ticket for morning departure?

lionclaw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
I'm going to fly into Airventure with a friend. We'll be staying at a local university for a few days, and departing in the morning on Friday. Will they let us back in to get my plane, or will it be held hostage for the cost of two full day's Airventure tickets?

You're flying in and then leaving the grounds the whole week? Not following.

If you're parked in the North 40, you don't need an admission ticket PERIOD. If you are parked elsewhere (homebuilt, vintage), you technically will need a pass to get back to the plane. Nobody is going to notice the lack of wristband on the arrival day as long as you stay inside the gates. I'm not sure what specifically you are asking. Oshkosh is not all that exciting a place outside of the convention grounds. I'm not sure what you're going to do for "a few days" without buying admission for all those days.

This is easily the weirdest thing I've read in awhile. You're going to go to the trouble of flying into the biggest clusterfrak in aviation, which leads to the largest aviation gathering in the world. And then you're going to skip the whole thing to visit the exciting metropolis of Oshkosh Wisconsin. Got it.

As far as your question, I suspect they'll charge you a nominal fee to get in to get your airplane, that's what they did at Sun N Fun. I moved mine one evening after dinner, and had to pay a bit to get my passenger into the show.

There's no formalized "retrieve your plane" admission. It depends which gate he tries to get in. If he's parked in Vintage and he tries the Waupon road gate the guy might feel sorry for him and let him in. If he tries it at the main gate, he'll probably just be roundly turned away.

As stated, if you park in the North 40, that is outside the "admission required" area anyhow. If it's a big thing for him, I suggest he park there even if he qualifies for parking elsewhere.

When you fly into OSH, you'll pay for aircraft parking for the show (from the day you arrive to the day the show ends).

If you park in the North 40, you won't need a wristband to get to your airplane from the public access points, because you won't go through the convention grounds. If you park on the convention grounds, you'll need a wristband to access the grounds during the event hours. So park in the north 40 or in GA parking (limited space and may not be available any more), and then get wristbands for the days you're going to be going to the show itself.

On the day you depart, you "check out" and surrender your parking permit and get a refund for unused days (3 day minimum).

I'm hoping I understood your question correctly and that the answer is useful.

PS - you really should consider camping by your airplane sometime... there's a lot of "extra" fun that you miss staying in the dorms.

Last two years, I have stayed off-airport, and departed early-morning. They give a special "leaving today" pass, do not require buying an additional day's show admission. No muss, no fuss.

When you fly into OSH, you'll pay for aircraft parking for the show (from the day you arrive to the day the show ends).
There's no charge for aircraft parking. There is only a charge for camping.
You don't get any sort of credentials for parking (other than a prop card if you're in one of the show plane areas).

Yeah, but you can't just park and leave, can you?

I don't know what would stop you. At least down in Vintage, we'd prefer that you register, but we don't bother checking. Registering a showplane is free and gets you some perks (if you are a vintage member, years ago, we gave a mug and a photo plaque to everybody).

Last two years, I have stayed off-airport, and departed early-morning. They give a special "leaving today" pass, do not require buying an additional day's show admission. No muss, no fuss.

The voice of experience, and my experience too. SnF may rip off pilots for the last day, but not OSH. If you leave in the AM and act like a gentleman rather than a self entitled "I am a pilot" jerk they will let you in at no charge.

Nope, we're going to Airventure, but have reservations offsite. I've considered camping, and would probably go that route if it were just me.

Thanks for the info!

You're going to need an admissions pass (wristband) for every day, just in case you were thinking those were just for parking aircraft... Just checking.

The voice of experience, and my experience too. SnF may rip off pilots for the last day, but not OSH. If you leave in the AM and act like a gentleman rather than a self entitled "I am a pilot" jerk they will let you in at no charge.

I've been to SnF ~15 times, parked on the showplane flightline probably 8 or so of those and have never had to pay for a departure day armband as long as I departed by 10:00 or 11:00 - whatever they state as their cut-off time.

Osh is the same way. Get up on departure day, shower, go find breakfast, get a briefing, get a departure card, load up, make a quick visit to the porta potty, and outta there. No muss, no fuss. And no armband.

Back