Need advice

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Hi. This is awkward. Have a foreign PPL. FAA did verification, I passed the knowledge, got through a tough FAA medical. I need a BFR. Started back after 3 decades. First few hours were getting me comfortable. 43 hours in air, 10 in full motion sim, and 25+ hours ground hours later, who knows when I will be signed off. Instructor is a great guy, great credentials including being a DPE, but now wondering if I picked too tough a guy. Problem is I consider us friends. Several people are telling me to go to someone else. Suggestions?

Have a talk with him and ask where he thinks you're not up to snuff to get signed off. If you don't agree, tell him so. I would think after that much flying either you're proficient, or he should be able to clearly tell you where you're not up to at least PTS standards, right?

If he's a DPE, I'd think you could determine the areas of deficiency by reviewing your logbook to see which areas you continue to practice. I also assume that his reason for continued dual is that you're not performing the maneuvers to PTS standards. I'm also a bit surprised that he hasn't mentioned it and that you haven't asked.

Which one is it, Art? You can PM if you feel the need.....or did I meet him when you were down here (can't remember his name).....I can ask some of the Crosswinds flying club guys....

Last edited:
I'm with Wayne and Dale -- without having been in the cockpit, there's no way for us to say what the situation is. Talk to the guy!

My case is the flip-side of that. I took it up again after 34 years off and a very low-time PPL at that. After 8.5 hours dual the time-builder CFI signed off my BFR. No friggin' way I was ready for much more than a solo-level local-only sign-off but there you have it (yes, I know that is not an option). Fumbled along until almost done with my IR then decided I needed to learn to fly. My tw endorsement in the Luscombe took 16.5 hours dual, a lot of that unlearning bad technique. Time well spent.

My guess is that somewhere between my case and yours is a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the advice. In my perception, what is happening is that I am trying too hard because I don't want this hanging over my head. I am happy with what I have learned, and I want to continue learning from this gentleman in the future because he is a wealth of information, a good mentor, and a friend. Every time I go up with someone I learn something. But isn't the purpose of a BFR to be a safe, confident pilot? Isn't a PPL a "license to learn"? While i was out of it for a long time and needed to get comfortable again in the air (ie getting used to chop), I didn't expect it to take so long. The longer this drags out, the more frustrated I get and the more prone to mistakes. And....flying is becoming a chore and not fun. I have done in excess of 130 landings, 4 sessions ago we did 4 simulated engine failures in one session in the pattern which each one went well and with 15 landings went well, including STOL and Soft Fields, VOR work, GPS work, two XC, diversions, dead reckoning, and a multi airport round robin. This is on top of air work. It is a repeat of my PPL basically and do far I have sunk about $14,000 into it. I feel the frustration is pushing me away and I am losing my enthusiasm. So I am soul searching now. Thanks for all the public and private advice.

I can fly with all kinds of people who will teach me things. I like people teaching me things. I'm just not going to spend thousands of dollars on non-stop instruction. If you think you're ready to fly safely, and your buddy hasn't signed you off, get a second opinion. There's got to be other CFIs around, hire one for an hour or two. If he signs off your BFR, then you can choose whether you continue to pay your buddy to fly with you.

Friendship is friendship, and business is business. Your "friend" seems to be sucking the money from your wallet and the joy from flying. Do yourself a favor and get a second opinion.

Any competent CFI should not fear what's essentially a stage check. It may even help move you past an issue or two that he was struggling with.

Ask another local cfi for a bfr and bring you logbook. If you're flying often should be 1hr flying 1 hr ground.

For all those who commented....thanks. As an update, after I changed CFIs, i went on a short XC and had a couple of sessions going through manouvers. Today, I finally got the sign off for the "license to learn". Off to the FSDO tomorrow for the conversion to a FAA license from the TC license; then flying for the fun of it without the weight of this on my shoulders. Then a solo trip, somewhere short. I plan on flying about once a week or so in addition to starting the IR training. So much to learn....

Last edited:
Went to FSDO yesterday and got the temporary certificate. Flew today to KUMP outside of Indy from KPWK outside of Chicago so I could drop my son off for his internship in Indy. Flew with the guy who signed me off who also is my sons instructor. Flew in a Dakota so I could get checked out in a high performance aircraft. Tons of fun and learned a lot. The joy is back.....

So did a mini xc to Janesville WI and back. 1.7 hours of bliss. Pleased to report plane and pilot doing well. So glad i didn't pack it in.

"....and he shall reign for ever and evermore....!"

And in addition, my CFI-I candidate became a CFI-I today!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back